What are you smiling about? The Non-Complaint Thread

¡Terminé un curso completo de español en menos de 800 días seguidos!

And now the forgetting begins…

3 Likes

Just got a bonus at work.

A big one.

11 Likes

Dude, you posted in the smiling thread immediately after the gripe thread. You need to make up your mind! :smiley:

5 Likes

It’s been an emotional roller coaster today.

9 Likes

Life is often a ‘Yes, and No’ situation.

5 Likes

Well, this just wasn’t my day in a lot of respects. Almost zero sleep, hungover from drinking Johnnie Black and beer after mass yesterday (at which it was like the penguin cage at the zoo, just shrieking hordes of children, such that I could hardly hear Fr. Tim’s homily [he’s a very smart scientifically-inclined Jesuit who usually has something interesting to say]). Almost got in a fight with some drunk dude at the beer (I kept the peace), and this woman I know completely ignored me, which was weird, since we’re kind of friendly acquaintances.

They had me running entrance yard marshall, which I’d never done before, but I naturally was awesome at it.

Had a bunch of excess freight passed on to flex (drivers in their private cars).

I destroyed (still don’t know how!) my main notebook’s barrel connector for the power supply (have a SameDay delivery of a replacement coming today “by 10pm…” where I really should be well asleep by then for a 3:30 wake-up. If they ring the doorbell after 1900, I’m going to be very displeased!

But the very competent and sweet gal Sophie worked flex dispatch with me (she got the cars entered in just great, and me and a supervisor parked them in the drivelane and ran freight out to them). Real smooth, and it’s a pleasure to work with people who know what they’re doing and are pleasant to be around.

And had a pleasant commute back with my rideshare…just light, pleasant conversation, and actually his New Age music channel had some interesting pieces on it. He only terrified me a few times with his driving, but I was too tired to notice.

So, it was a “happy ending” after all.

2 Likes

Because I’ve been told to make sure I take my vacation days (multiple times in fact), I decided to take a couple of days this week and I’m driving to St. Paul to attend the LDS temple there. There are no temples really close to me here and so it’s a nice chance to get there. But also, I’ve picked out a few stops that are close to my route so I can see a couple of extra things while I drive. No rushing about, just a leisurely drive there and back. :slight_smile:

I’m especially happy that I found a couple of waterfalls to stop at. I love waterfalls. I love the sound of rushing water. So here’s hoping they’re good. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you keep going east about 90 minutes, you can visit the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota!

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2128

And why should you? Because

8 Likes

I don’t know if I’ll do that on this trip, but that’s a great place to go, too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The waterfall was beautiful. Plus, I found the place where 45 N latitude and 90 W longitude cross and I stood on that exact spot. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Unless they’ve moved the marker, you haven’t technically stood at the crossing. The exact crossing is in the middle of the field there. But you know, close enough to count.

4 Likes

I always wanted to go to the North Pole and run around it in a circle, going back and forth in time.

3 Likes

According to the signs, it is in the right spot. It’s in a field. I was surrounded by soybeans. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The East Pole and the West Pole are both in the middle of the ocean.

3 Likes

They must have moved it to the right spot then. The marker used to be essentially right next to the road.

But other than people from the area, if you claimed you were at the crossing and you had only been to the old marker, no one would doubt it.

3 Likes

And the other one on land is in a mountainous region of China and very difficult to get to according to the signs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I took this picture by the road, looking toward the marker. The sign you can see in the background is the marker and the path over to it on the left side of the picture.

7 Likes

It’s in the middle of Uyghur country, which is why China doesn’t want people going there.

4 Likes

My non-compliant is that I got to spend the past day in beautiful Carmel, CA with a friend. Now I’m thinking about starting a nature photos thread so I can put my pics of the ocean in it :smiley: Your waterfall would be a great addition if I ever bother to get it started…

4 Likes

I love nature pictures. I always take far too many pictures of the scenery when I go anywhere.

1 Like