What are you watching right now???

I think I was young enough when I last saw it that I didn’t recognize some of them and I certainly had seen fewer movies. I’d love to see someone do this again, especially if they could do longer sections of dialogue. It’s also amazing to watch and see what meticulous detail the matching shots went into so that it would look like they were having a conversation in the same room. And Edith Head’s costumes for Rachel Ward are wonderful.

1 Like

Also, I’ve been watching this lately on Amazon. Has anyone else seen it? I’m on Season 2 and I’ve found it very enjoyable. Funny, sweet and dystopian at the same time.

1 Like

Watching the 1955 movie Picnic - Verna Felton is one of the stars.

If you’re around my age, you know Verna Felton more from her voices; she voiced Wilma Flinstone’s mother (the Flintstones), Cinderella’s fairy godmother and both Dumbo’s mother & the elephant matriarch.

Verna has a hilarious scene during the titular picnic’s games.

She’s participating in a balloon race, being the first to blow up to pop her balloon. That’s quite the breath for an elder lady!

1 Like

So I am not what I would refer to as an “Anime” fan. There are quite a few that I have enjoyed. But I don’t put “Anime” as a separate, or exclusive, genre. I am a fan of animation, in general. Having loved many an animated show and/or movie.

But recently I discovered a “Japanese Cartoon” that not only caught my funny bone but hit quite close to home from when I worked in small clubs.

It’s not just funny, but heartfelt and makes great use of the art of animation.
And it’s Japanese if that’s your bag.

Who knew crippling social anxiety could be hilarious?
The music’s good as well. :notes:

3 Likes

update: got interrupted, so I’ve now been waiting several hours to get back to it so I can see how C cracks this one…

ps mystery/crime shows other than Perry Mason I watched a lot of growing up where Rockford Files and QuincY M.E., which was my favorite. #JusticeForSam

1 Like

uh oh, strings have been pulled and now Columbo has been taken off the case. somehow I don’'t think that will deter him.

The killer is a psychiatrist, so naturally C is asking if he can become a patient. Says he needs help understanding why he seems to make people nervous.

Episode 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

2 Likes

YARN | Let the klugman revolution begin. | Space Ghost Coast to Coast (1994) - S02E03 Comedy | Video clips by quotes | 9c969096 | 紗

3 Likes

5 Likes

“It’s a brilliant film! It’s so funny and violent and the soundtrack kicks forking a$$. I never thought I’d say this, but can I go to work now?”
bruce campbell film GIF by hoppip

3 Likes

Wow what an ending. Are spoilers still a thing on a 50 year old show? just in case…

Columbo hones in on the psychitrist’s mistress (who is also a patient) and really tightens the screws on here. Still, though, she won’t talk. So he gets someone else to pretend to be her so he can stage her fake suicide ! Calls the doc and uses the suicide, not to get him to confess, no he’s too smart for that. No, he gets him to admit that he doesn’t actually love her, mostly to convince Columbo that he hasn’t gotten the best of him like C pretends to believe. Of course this conversation takes place where the mistress can hear it, and now she realizes she has no reason to not talk to protect him, because screw this ass, and he is toast. the end.

4 Likes

So a few thought after watching Columbo 101:

1. The episodes I remember must have been the 90s new episodes, 'cos I didn’t think Peter Falk was ever that young

2. They really take their time, and I had to adjust to the pacing. Though once I got used to it watching him slowly fumble his way into tightening the screws on the arrogant prick was a pure delight.

3. Good thing Columbo is a good guy, if he ever used his powers of manipulation, deception, and induction for evil that would be a scary thing.

that. is. all.

4 Likes

Just a few things to add you might already know -
That episode, Prescription Murder, was made as a TV-movie a couple of years before the rest of the series, so Columbo is even younger than he will be in the next episode.
The story was originally a play that was produced earlier for the stage and for TV, so it’s more finely-honed than future episodes, though many of those also have very fine scripts.

Some of the episodes in the first few seasons ran in 90-minute time slots and are a little shorter.

4 Likes

gtk, thanks!

2 Likes

I’m watching the debut of MST3K vs. The Batwoman over on Twitch’s 24/7 MST3K channel!

4 Likes

ARTV worst songs request live stream

1 Like

6 Likes

Evening’s entertainment:

Not a bad flick at all. Interesting to see an entire movie from the perspective of the Quantum Realm. Also sets up who I think is the big bad for the next cycle of films. So finally the MCU is moving forward again. For a while there, it felt like the story was running in place.

2 Likes

I have to say that, generally, “slasher” horror films aren’t my thing, but Ti West seems to do stuff I like (e.g. The Innkeepers). “X” delivered mostly slasher, but with a few flourishes here and there that kept it interesting enough for me.

I had waited to watch “X” until its prequel was also available to me (both are currently on Showtime streaming). Pearl was less interesting to me at its start, but gained momentum and by the end I was feeling some proper horror.

Now to wait a year or so for the sequel to “X” (MaXXXine), currently filming. In for a penny, ….

3 Likes

Bocchi is definitely a gloriously animated show. Interestingly, there’s been a trend of shows about girls with social anxiety in anime including Hitori Bocchi (which is cute but little more disposable) and Komi Can’t Communicate (which has some flaws, namely two overtly problematic characters, one of whom gets a proper redirect and the other… not quite) which is overall a sweet comedy about a guy discovers the most popular girl in school in fact is completely misunderstood and isn’t aloof but paralyzed with anxiety and he helps her make friends.

2 Likes

Dinner and a movie - black bean chalupa, fresco style, and