What are you watching right now???

The Smothers Brothers on Dr. Katz was one of the best bits.

2 Likes

Godzilla Minus One – Enjoyed this quite a lot, and I’m not a huge fan of Godzilla/other-“kaiju” movies. A good story plus Oscar-winning sfx. I watched it in Japanese with subtitles, wished I had seen it on the big screen. (Don’t confuse this with the Kong/Godzilla nonsense. Those films seem to be trying to out-nonsense the Sharknado films, IMO).

The wrong Abigail – Yeah, I know the 2024 horror Abigail isn’t streaming yet, but I watched a different one (2019, Russian film, light (TV-14?) fantasy, in English, then dubbed into English on top of that), on the Peacock streaming service. … It’s ok-ish? But it still felt like I had been Rickrolled.

3 Likes

Ah, the Manos method.

2 Likes

Watching right now???

Uhhhhhhhh my Hugh Jass!!!

1 Like

Cinema Snob August 1984 in Film on Patreon
dennis quaid falling GIF by RETRO-FIEND

1 Like

The Manster. You still have 20 minutes to watch the Mads riff it, too!

5 Likes

The Toolbox Murders (1978)

Proto-slasher most notable for a wild change in mood and direction. Starts off like a giallo on speed as a killer in ski mask and black gloves very quickly murders four women with power tools. It then turns into a suspense thriller that might have been shown on American TV at the time, with a little editing. The killer (Cameron Mitchell) kidnaps a high school age girl as a replacement for his daughter, who was killed in a car accident. (The other women had to be killed for not being “pure.”) The world’s worst police investigation (Mitchell is very clearly the most likely suspect, but they don’t pick up on this) and the amateur investigation by the kidnapped girl’s brother follow. Not much happens until a frenzy of plot twists near the end, sending us back into slasher territory after our excursion into psychological suspense. Not a good film, but the quirky nature of the plot swings(as full of holes as the story is) raises some eyebrows.

3 Likes

SANTA! NOOOOO!

3 Likes

It helps to think of Cameron as the evil indoctrinator from Stranded in Space, which is where we first met him anyway. “Santa” came much later (and they pretended not to know who he was.)

3 Likes

I like my father before me also taped wool to my face.

2 Likes

Episode 1 of game show “The 1% Club” (US). The questions are mostly logic-based, and a couple of them are ambiguous. I don’t like that.

1 Like

It possesses genuine atmosphere and invention. Alec Baldwin sustains the picture. It certainly was inspired by Batman (1989). Which is even better.

3 Likes

Shadow Conspiracy is a completely stupid mid-90s thriller that tries to mix the 70s paranoid thriller, 80s slickness, 90s political thrillers and trying REALLY HARD to be Brian De Palma. It’s a dumb movie full of plot holes, predictable reveals. and not really having a point of view (the plot revolves around the president’s policies which are mostly vague except "cut defense).

Still, surprisingly watchable.

1 Like

Alec Baldwin is an amazing actor and it’s a shame that such a stupid mistake not only killed an innocent person, but likely ended his film career.

2 Likes

While we’re talking dark 90s superhero movies, how did Darkman talk so clearly when he had no lips?

5 Likes

This is pure genius:

1 Like

We’ve ran into before. To be fair, Alec yelled at his daughter on an answering machine calling her a “pig”, he delayed a commercial air flight over not putting away his phone, and he reportedly attacked a photographer in 95. He’s often been in the news and flirted with disaster. Others have lost their careers for one thing but Alec kept defying consequences. Until now. It doesn’t surprise me he’s in trouble. I love his acting but as a person he seems very unhappy. He’ll probably come back. The industry likes him which is why this is his latest not his first headline. There are actors campaigning for Spacey’s Return. I see the same for Alec when the time comes.

3 Likes

This is super interesting.

I didn’t watch that video, but I’ve read some articles in science magazines recently about the discussion among scientists regarding how “sentient” plants are. It doesn’t seem to be as cut-and-dried as we thought in the past.

3 Likes

She really said some amazing things about plants. They have memories, they can be taught, they care for their relatives more than those who are of the same species but not related to them, etc.

She made it clear it wasn’t going to make her stop eating broccoli, but it does give you a whole new appreciation for what life and evolution are capable of.

2 Likes