What are your comfort-food episodes?

Definitely that.

It had to be that way when I watched it every day on VHS one summer!

9 Likes

Moon Zero Two
Prince of Space
Mighty Jack
All the Gameras

9 Likes

Y’all are nailing it, so many great choices. Count me in for The Screaming Skull as well, and definitely Gunslinger!

5 Likes

I would say my top “comfort food” choice would be Riding With Death. It’s very light, moves at a brisk pace and, of course, it’s mellow vibe.

Not very far behind is Prince of Space! To put it simply: It’s 90 minutes of pure joy. :smiley:

(For the Joel-era: Master Ninja I and The Giant Gila Monster. For the Jonah-era: Avalanche and Lords of the Deep)

7 Likes

I have a lot, but the one episode I always can go to to make me feel good is Jack Frost. I don’t know what it is about that episode but it always puts my mind at ease.

11 Likes

My favorite episode of the series! So glad you like it as you do!

8 Likes

Cry Wilderness and Mac & Me are absolute P E A K comfort episodes for me from the Netflix seasons.

All the Christmas episodes are also some high quality comfort for me

14 Likes

Things dont end so well in that van, hahaha

4 Likes

Nothing new to add here … after the past couple of years, I’d probably be in a padded room without:

Moon Zero Two
Teenagers From Outer Space
The Day the Earth Froze
Manhunt In Space/Crash of Moons
Agent Double 007
I Accuse My Parents
The Thing That Couldn’t Die
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Quest of the Delta Knights
The Phantom Planet

11 Likes

I have to say: I’ve kinda wanted to tweak my answers several times since posting! So many great ideas out there.

MST3K is Comfort Food. :smiley:

14 Likes

Another one I can watch any time. And from the Jonah era, Killer Fish. Don’t ask me why, but I love the heck out of this one.

11 Likes

I definitely tend toward the six full episodes that I managed to tape when The Mystery Science Theater Hour was making its rounds through my local VHF station: Hercules Unchained, Hercules Against the Moon Men, The Amazing Colossal Man, The Magic Sword, War of the Colossal Beast, and The Giant Gila Monster. Those tapes were my entire MST3K world until Rhino Home Video started stepping up. Add Cave Dwellers and Pod People, and you’ve got my go-to list for classic episodes.

In the new series? Avalanche, Star Crash, The Land That Time Forgot, both Wizards movies, At the Earth’s Core, and Killer Fish. I’ve basically just been watching the Netflix seasons off and on in rotation for the hiatus years, and those are the ones that always give me that comfy feeling of “Oh good, it’s this one.”

12 Likes

I had seen it before this KS campaign, but probably only once and it didn’t click with me for some reason. Once I got a copy to dig into it just blew me away—what a great episode.

4 Likes

As Jonah episodes go, The Time Travelers is another great comfort-food choice.

I dunno, there’s just something about that one that -clicks.- Fun little movie and riffs that rise to meet it.

It all has a real Saturday afternoon MST3K matinee feel to it, you know?

15 Likes

I agree 100% it’s one of the best episodes of that season in my opinion

4 Likes

Mmhmm.

And from an all-around fantastic Season 11, too!

6 Likes

The effects and how excited Jonah gets about them make that a really charming episode.

7 Likes

Yeah, Jonah’s geeking out over the practical effects (inspired by magician’s tricks) raise that to a whole other level!

6 Likes

Time Travelers has a really neat trick that I adore. (Spoilers for those who haven’t seen it.) Early on (At about the 9:30 mark on the Gizmoplex) there’s a little flicker. On first viewing I thought it was just an old film thing, and I think you’re supposed to write it off as such. But then it turns out that was the moment that the Time Travelers go to at the end of the movie.

Season 11 gave me a new favorite B-Movie director in Ib Melchior. I love directors that find ways to do neat things with their obviously tiny budgets.

13 Likes

He has solid B-movie cred with fans for Angry Red Planet, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and Death Race 2000 as well.

12 Likes