What Character Do You Not Care For and Wish Never Existed

I saw that once. Luckily all I remember is what the title parodies. I’m still trying to forget Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Toxic Avenger series, Witches of Eastwick, Earth Girls Are Easy, and many more. Like my friend says, I watch some weird $#!1

1 Like

The character I would most erase only later became a movie character, started out as a comic book character: Wolverine. Ever since he got popular, the whole Marvel universe went to pieces as everyone had to be more angsty, more gritty, and more festooned with sharp pointy things. Haven’t read a Marvel comic since 1991, see no reason to every give them another chance. Really don’t care if and don’t have an opinion whether the movies are any good or not, I don’t want to see (and haven’t seen) them mainly because I’m that completely and permanently fed up with Marvel.

Actual movie/TV characters that started off as movie/TV characters? Twiki from Buck Rogers. The Ewoks. The robot dog from the first Battlestar Galactica series. Rose Tyler from Doctor Who, but only after the Ninth Doctor left and she became RTD’s Mary Sue with the Tenth. While we’re on the subject of The Doctor, Mel from the Sixth/Seventh Doctor years, a.k.a. The Shriek That Walked.

4 Likes

Yeah. I can tell.

Oddly (and quite interestingly), Wolvie went on to become the soul of the X-men, while Cyclops became the renegade bad boy who ends up killing Xavier.

Sorry to hear you’re done with Marvel, but I doubt I’ll be able to convince you otherwise. Sunk cost fallacy and all.

As for Marvel characters, I’d be ever so happy if Gambit never showed up again. Not only was there never a pay off for his a Rogue’s romance, he was a creepy amoral bastard, and went on to be guilty of genocide, twice!

1 Like

It’s not a sunk cost fallacy: that would be doubling down on reading Marvel even after it stopped being fun in hopes that it became fun again, and I had been a Marvel reader since Kirby was on Fantastic Four.

It’s a simple matter of Marvel having killed off any interest I had in them, and I just plain don’t care what they do anymore.

3 Likes

That’s odd. I always pictured you when the Chairlift song “Sidewalk Safari” came on the radio.

1 Like

Call it what you want, I’m not going to convince you Marvel is worth reading. You clearly made your decision a long time ago, and are so invested in it no amount of me pointing at “Nextwave” and “Unbeatable Squirrel Girl” will change your mind.

Which, to be clear, is fine. Your tastes are your own.

2 Likes

Here I thought I was more a Dead Man’s Party kind of guy… Oh well.

ANY of the Kardashians.

8 Likes

Well, I never cared for Coily, but I wouldn’t dare wish he never existed. Who knows what might happen given the demonic powers he possesses.

10 Likes

INDEED! Well said.

1 Like

You assume too much. I’m not “invested” in it. I really just don’t care. Being invested in it assumes caring on some level, and I genuinely don’t. I express no opinion on the current state of Marvel comics – even if they’ve improved drastically from the universal crapsack world of 30 years ago, I simply could not possibly care less.

1 Like

I was also going to say Jar-Jar, but thinking about it more he is just a symptom of a larger disease, so wishing he never existed is like wishing one virus particle away during a massive outbreak. :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Adric on Dr Who always annoyed the crap out of me.

Wow, can’t think of any others, maybe that Romulan clone of Picard from Nemesis. Without that character that movie wouldn’t exist, and the universe would be a better place.

2 Likes

Jar Jar alienated. Still does. His speech, high pitch, CGI. I don’t mind him myself. The Ewoks were much the same. Except Jar Jar talks. He invited younglings into Star Wars and was so effective he turned off the fans. Ask a 20 something today and their answer differs from their parents. In many cases.

1 Like

Jar Jar was created for the toy market, pure and simple. As such, he was already annoying even before he existed in detail.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong Andrew. I’d purely add Lucas wanted his toys and movie too. Jar Jar had to sell merchandise and draw cheeks to the seats of a certain age. Jar Jar lured young children to be mesmerized by The Phantom Menace (1999) by design and come back as teenagers for Episodes II & III. Jar Jar enticed youngsters to be interested in the new Star Wars and buy the toys. Lucas wanted both.

1 Like

The only time I think Adric was truly intolerable was Four to Doomsday, though he also gave a bad impression in State of Decay. A theory I came across about his unpopularity among the fan base is that he can be something of a funhouse mirror to some of the more insecure fanboys, who respond by projecting their own inadequacies on him.

2 Likes

It has been 40 years since I’ve watched the episodes, so I am probably only remembering the worst from him.

2 Likes

I consider the first frame that showed an Ewok as the beginning of the end for Star Wars: that was, at least for me, the moment that it once and for all ceased being a story to be told and became a franchise to be protected. Jar-Jar is no more than the logical outcome of that.

For my part, the only prequel I’ve seen is the ‘Backstroke of the West’ version of ‘Revenge of the Sith’ (aka ‘Alias Sith and Clones’).

I went and saw The Force Awakens in the theater and… failed to feel anything I felt during A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. Didn’t bother with the other sequels after that.

2 Likes

Never had the pleasure. I avoided watching Discovery. Glad I did. I’ve heard that quite a bit regarding the character.

You cared enough to post about how much you hated a character. That’s caring at least a tiny bit on some level.

But it’s fine. As I said, you’ve made your decision, and you’re locked into it. And that’s your right. I’m honestly more upset that you made me defend Wolverine than anything else.

1 Like