What do you think MST’s impact has been on filmmaking?

YOUR QUESTION:
TL;DR: Velocipastor and other intentionally bad movies are indirectly MST’s fault. What effects do you think MST has had on filmmaking in particular and media in general? (Not counting other riffing ventures.)

NAME TO CREDIT:
Longmile149

HOW TO PRONOUNCE IT:
Long
Mile
One
Forty
Nine

More longerer version:

MST essentially mainstreamed movie riffing and showed a whole bunch of people that not only do they enjoy watching bad movies, but that lots of other people do too. That’s led to some filmmakers making intentionally bad or dumb movies (looking at you, Velocipastor) that try to ride that wave.

I think it’s fair to separate knockoff movies like Atlantic Rim from things like Velocipastor, because the former is okay with being a dumb movie but it’s trying harder to be a knockoff of a popular property than it is to be an intentionally bad movie.

So what other things has MST changed in film and media production?

Obviously there are a bunch of riffing projects of various flavors now, but I’m more interested in the movie making side of things.

2 Likes

I know a lot of you are curious, so let me just get this out of the way up front:

Yes, I voted for my own question.

Don’t let that intimidate you though. You should also vote for me.

2 Likes

This is especially interesting considering the movies “discovered” and made (in)famous by riffing (Birdemic, Samurai Cop) which obviously allowed the riffing of the originals to shape the sequels that came later.

2 Likes