What does Joel eat after he taps the movie/commercial/Mads sign?

My sister asked me this question while watching early season one episodes in the Gizmoplex. I don’t know the answer. What is Joel popping into his mouth after he hits the call sign buttons?
He does it in the Slime People when he answers the Mads calling and in Robot Monster after he hits the first commercial sign. What is that?

3 Likes

Klonopin.

2 Likes

Here’s some discussion on that—reward pellets, like in a rodent lab, seems to be the idea.

4 Likes

Judges, can we get a ruling on whether this violates the “If you’re wondering how he eats and breathes” clause? :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

He’s eating RAM chips. It took him awhile to realize they were actually for the bots.

8 Likes

Technically, I wasn’t asking “how,” but “what.” Still, it is close enough for me to deserve some sort of punishment.

3 Likes

Thank you :grin:! (Spoken in a high pitched voice)

2 Likes

3 Likes

I believe IRL they were actually grapes.

As stated above, the idea was reward pellets. The Mads reward Joel for hitting the right button when it lights up. This was never stated explicitly in the show, and quickly fell by the wayside and was forgotten.

I love bits of show lore like that. Like how the Invention Exchange exists as part of Gizmonic culture because literally everyone who works there (including Joel the janitor, lowest on the corporate ladder) is a brilliant inventor constantly churning out new things and tinkering with new ideas. So “Look at my latest invention!” became the company version of “Hello.” and now it’s just expected that every conversation begins with an invention exchange.

8 Likes

Hey, this is a great Burning Question!

1 Like

Not sure if its the same episode TheStaz is referring to, but I am quite sure I saw him pop a ram chip in his mouth in one of the early season 1 episodes I re-watched recently. Maybe that’s why they don’t want us wondering about how he eats or breathes. Maybe Joel has been a robot this whole time! That would finally explain… well nothing really.

1 Like

Yes, he’s eating grapes. You can see one or two sitting on the console by the Movie Sign buttons at the beginning of Rocketship X-M.

2 Likes