What episode (or episodes) have you watched recently?

Starcrash. I was running a 101.2 fever yesterday, and what better time to watch a movie that’s a fever dream itself?

5 Likes

Starting the playthrough at the very beginning.

K01 - Invaders From The Deep

I haven’t watched a KTMA episode in a few years, so this was just really jarring. No one in the theater for the first few minutes of the movie, Joel in the theater alone until after the first host segment. About halfway through and still no appearance from any other bots (outside of the opening credits), Crow repeatedly referring to Joel by full name (and Hodgson, not Robinson).

And I would comment on the pace of the riffing, but using the word “pace” seems out of place. Pretty sure there were more riffs in the 5 minutes of “Make A Meal In 20 Minutes” short we got the other month.

5 Likes

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

I knew I should have searched for a thread…

3 Likes

lol. I don’t think anyone really minds. It’s great when anyone’s discussing “Season 0” at all.

2 Likes

The Painted Hills

With the short “Body, Care and Grooming”, where a narrator shames a poorly groomed woman, which leads to a debate between Tom and Crow

This is one of my Top 10 favorites… which I know, is an uncommon ranking, but I howl (like a dog) with laughter whenever I catch it - the montage scene alone slays me (“The world is dying!”) :rofl:

And it’s always fun when you catch something new (or it’s a riff that you didn’t really pay attention too in past viewings) and get a fresh new laugh, here it was when Lin tells Tommy “Never mind the dog”, and Servo responds “Here’s the Sex Pistols”. HaHa!

The thing that lead me to a viewing, was I was reading about native American actors, and I saw that Chief Yowlachie (who played Bald Eagle) was from the Yakima tribe (Yakima is a small town I lived in, in my youth)

Oh and I watched my DVD to see the introduction.

4 Likes

It’s a really underrated episode.

I never fail to guffaw at the intro of, “This is the story of a great love: the love of a dog for one man,” immediately torpedoed by Joel’s Gold-Medal deadpan, “It won’t work.” I think the first time I heard it, I might’ve laughed hard enough to sprain something. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Keeping up the overall secret agent theme this month, I decided to put on one of my favorites: Agent for HARM! (dramatic James Bond sting)

This is just a tremendously strong riff with some of the best Host Segments ever! I laughed often here! :smiley:

“Maybe you botched the case, Adam” is an all-timer!

7 Likes

James Bond on Wish dot com.

4 Likes

One of my favorites too! So much to love in this movie: our smug, sharp-featured, sweater-clad hero, his bizarre beach introduction to “bikini niece,” his self-righteous “apple pie” monologue. The face-sizzling fungus effects are actually kinda cool.

My favorite recurring gag is the gang’s aborted attempts at the James Bond theme. The movie keeps threatening to get exciting …

4 Likes

That one also features the trial of Mike Nelson, which are truly inspired host segments.

6 Likes

The Sinister Urge. The Wood-enest Wood which ever Wooded. Probably my fave in his oeuvre. The host segments never quite reach stratospheric levels, but they’re still fun.

I imagine that for every great riff they devised, there were three more they had to discard because there just wasn’t enough room. (Much like Puma Man.)

7 Likes

Recently re-watched “Bride of the Monster”….it’s odd to consider that this is arguably the best film Ed Wood ever made as it’s arguably the one that came closest to the film he had in his head.

The sinister parakeet quips crack me up every time. :parrot:

Next up on my Halloween season MST3K list, “Tormented”.

7 Likes

The Final Sacrifice!

This is a just a total masterpiece! So hilarious from start-to-finish! :laughing: :smiley:

5 Likes

Demon Squad
Maybe it’s all the prescription drugs I’m on right now, but I’m enjoying this a little more this time out.

Question about Joel’s first riff… “Last call drinker Bella…”

Is Bella a reference, or just a name Joel used for the quip. I did a search and found a Bela Talbot on Supernatural, is that the riff source, or something else?

3 Likes

I thought it was just a play on Tinkerbell. Now I’ll have to watch it again, I guess.

3 Likes

Tinkerbell - Drinkerbell would be funny - subs say, “drinker Bella”, but you can’t always trust those.

Can’t quite wrap my head around the riff, am I missing the joke, or reference?

3 Likes

Maybe it’s meant to suggest a famous fairy/pixie/sprite because the story’s set in a magical land.

(Earlier Crow: “I HATE magical lands!!”)

4 Likes

Last night I watched The Black Scorpion, which I think I’ve only seen in bits and pieces. It’s a pretty decent movie and it’s got some good riffs in it. Definitely strong for a season 1 episode.

4 Likes

Invasion USA: filming a TV in a bar with stock footage

4 Likes