What ever happened to the MST3K The Movie?

I feel like the reason you don’t hear mention of it, is because no one says MST3K The Movie, when talking about it, many treat is just like an episode and talk about This Island Earth. It’s cherished and loved.

4 Likes

My only fault with it is that it’s the reason for 1) Joel leaving the show and 2) only 6 episodes in Season 7.

It’s fine on it’s own account, I just don’t think it’s good enough to justify the consequences.

9 Likes

Fair enough.

There IS one terrific positive consequence to come out of it: Team MST3K needed to hire temporary writers to shoulder the weight of the last few episodes of Season 6.

That’s how they got Bill Corbett into the riffing game.

9 Likes

I was one of a precious few who saw it in theaters as a kid in a tiny local arthouse in DC/Maryland. I was very excited. I found the film/riffs middling and haven’t seen it since. I should probably revisit it.

5 Likes

They have also thrown it shoutouts during the commercials for this season as well, which is nice because the movie is how I fell in love with the show.

3 Likes

I don’t think the riffs are as good as a lot of episodes, probably due to a lot of executive meddling dumbing down the humor, but there is still a lot of funny to be found.

2 Likes

I wonder, had the story of its production not been told, if denigrators of the movie would have any actual reason to dislike it.

5 Likes

I personally choose to be offended by Servo’s two s-bombs. Scandalous! :flushed:

Edited to clarify that I personally am 100% kidding about having been offended.

7 Likes

I don’t denigrate it exactly, because I do enjoy it, but I did not enjoy it as much as a regular episode when I went to see it in the theater. It was fun seeing an episode with other MSTies in the (small) audience, but I didn’t like how edited down the movie was and I thought a lot of the riffs were less cerebral than during regular episodes. That’s before I knew about the executive meddling.

Like I said, I do enjoy it, I just think it’s not the strongest MST3K experiment.

2 Likes

It’s been a staple on my “watch this when you need to laugh” movie list since I first saw it on VHS.

It is the source of my all time favourite GPC line “Nuh, uh, this is your dishwashing liquid, you soak in it!”. And I use this line often in my list of quotes to say when I’m ticked off.

Of all the MST3K episodes, this is definitely one of my top 5, if not the top of the list because Trace cracked me up in the first 5 seconds of the show.

5 Likes

I wasn’t in MST online forums when the movie came out. All we knew was that there was an MST movie! And it was showing in a local theater!

We had a grand time. Never knew until years later about the issues.

4 Likes

Not any of the issues, no, like Joel’s reasons for leaving, which goes to the core of this movie’s existence. The Satellite News newsletter and the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide both bandied about that whole “Joel left the show to fuel his own creative ecology” thing well before we knew the scope and totality of it all.

I didn’t know any of the backstory or drama or anything, and I loved the movie. Still do.

I acknowledge that it has its issues (that runtime, a few recycled riffs from the series, etc), but warts and all, I dig it. I played the hell out of it on VHS once upon a time, and I’d do that now the Blu-ray if there weren’t a whole bunch of everything to watch right now.

5 Likes

I knew nothing about those issues when I saw it in a first-run theater at like 14, so no, I just always found it mediocre.

1 Like

I haven’t watched The Movie™ myself, but there is a certain joy in throwing around the tidbit of a series’ cinematic adaptation that somehow clocks in shorter than that of the average episode.

4 Likes

Come on over. I’ve ordered pizza. We can fix this.

6 Likes

Only if you can provide transportation.

1 Like

9 Likes

Where do you live? I’m feeling like a road trip! :smile:

1 Like

I will …consider such things.

3 Likes

I have a projector and 100" screen. Anyone who’s vaccinated against COVID is welcome to come hang out as soon as I get some stupid furniture (see the gripe thread for details on THAT)

Unless you’re good to sit on lawn furniture, then come on over!

5 Likes