What ever happened to the MST3K The Movie?

That’s boss, @IvyRowan. Glad you had such terrific memories surrounding the movie like that!

7 Likes

napoleonlucky

6 Likes

I wish I could give this more than one Like, because that’s the freaking BEST. :smiley:

10 Likes

Subslikescripts.com has transcripts to many movies. This Island Earth might be on there. A movie with multiple titles might be available under one title but not the others. Gamera vs Viras is also called Destroy All Planets. A lot of old movies, especially foreign ones, have multiple names.

1 Like

We should watch something riffed together. I tend to do my best jokes by working off of other people’s jokes. Any from Netflix, Sci-fi, and Comedy Central years except for Pod People, Mitchell, Final Justice, Black Scorpion, Beginning of the End, Deadly Mantis, Earth vs the Spider, Leech Woman, Horrors of Spider Island, Deadly Bees, and Devil Fish.
My fear of insects and Joe Don Baker is extreme.
I have trouble behaving during Pod People, even in the 90s.
If you ever want to team up and riff something, I recommend Corman’s Edgar Allen Poe movies and AIP movies. Thanks AIP and Roger Corman, watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas is now impossible.

2 Likes

I adore the movie. I’ve heard complaints about it being shorter and having fewer riffs per minute than the average episode, but I’ve never minded. Every riff wrecks me, and I’ve never really felt the slower drip of jokes myself. I think the Best Brains crew having less than glowing things to say about the experience overall contributes to some people giving it a jaundiced eye as well. It’s definitely one of the first things I’d show someone who is interested but has never seen the show.

9 Likes

That seems like a pretty normal view.

3 Likes

Speaking of Normal View, the latest episode of Twenty Thousand Hertz (a podcast about sound design) is about the “dun dun DUNNNNN” sting, which we all know and love, but it’s also what Normal View builds up to. Sadly, they never mention this version of the sound cue in the episode.

2 Likes

One of the wonders of the modern age is that there’s not really any reason for a riff to be too obscure any more. Young whippersnappers watching this ancient movie from 1996, using the googling machine to find out who this mysterious “Leona Helmsley” was… and then busting out laughing when this happens:

lh

And u know what? Considering that Bootsy Collins is a beloved and very talented musician…. versus Leona Helmsley who was an actual living MONSTER… I think this is one rare case where The Suits crushed it!

7 Likes

Meanwhile, Leona Helmsley is still dead.

9 Likes

Bad bosses aren’t dying fast enough, though. :confused:

9 Likes

And then there’s the nepotism.

5 Likes

“Taxes are for the little people.”

3 Likes

My favorite bit is from The Movie. I saw it at the Ritz at the Bourse in Philadelphia and I remember laughing hard with the “Secret government Eggo project” run they had.

I think the Movie was unlike any of the episodes before or since in that they really workshopped them for awhile to get the right balance and to polish the riffs, a luxury you never have when you are doing a full season. They also were able to do what the Marx Brothers did and had the second MST Alive show at the first Conventio-Con-Expo-Fest-a-Rama to get audience reactions and use that to make the riff script better.

8 Likes

And yet I don’t think it’s any better than the average episode. Probably the suits’ fault.

We got those great host segments in Season 7 out of it, though.

4 Likes

The future it predicted is too hot for TV.

2 Likes

I think the riffs that are there are among their finest, but it does feel slower than a tv episode of similar vintage because they actually wrote for laughter, assuming people would laugh in a theater together and giving space for it.

The host segments are their own journey. I know there were definitely rewrites and a reshoot there and that definitely affected the final product, but at the end of the day, it was so thrilling to see a show that like 8 years before was on a local UHF station in Minneapolis have a theatrical film.

7 Likes

You have a point there. I saw it in a theater and the experience was very different from seeing it on a TV later. I had chalked up the difference to just the presence of other people, but you’re probably right about the pauses.

7 Likes

That’s where I saw it. Back then I hated driving into Philly so it was train from Media to 30th street, then the subway. Doing that made it a long day.

It was a matinee, I doubt there were more than a dozen people in the theater.

2 Likes

I was just down the road in Springfield! I would have sworn we went to the long gone Cinemagic on Penn’s campus to see it - much to the concern of my parents, since that area had seen a lot of violence. But the memory plays more tricks than Exeter.

4 Likes