What fake last name would you choose?

I was thinking about how most of the human hosts from MST3K have last names from action and sci-fi. Like Joel Robinson is named after Will Robinson, Jonah Heston is named after Charlton Heston, Emily Conner is named after Sarah Conner, and Matt-Claude Van Damme is named after Jean-Claude Van Damme. So which last name would you go with?

I think I would go with Natalie McCoy, as in Bones or Sylvester. Really get my money’s worth. How about you?

27 Likes

Canyon. Since I used to own a bunch of Steve Canyon collections back in the day.

6 Likes

I had to look that up! Great choice!

5 Likes

Hmmm. Maybe Clortho if I’m feeling whimsical, or Tolpuddle if I’m feeling political.

8 Likes

McCoy is a really good one, sounds like a MST host last name.

Clortho is a good one.

For me, Ripley would be the best, but they don’t use her first name much in the movies, so it feels like cheating. So Deckard or Morbius.

14 Likes

I was trying to go with something similar! I like Deckard. That’s a good choice.

6 Likes

or Tolpuddle if I’m feeling political.

Like the Tolpuddle martyrs?

3 Likes

Yes indeed! Hilarious word, serious event.

2 Likes

I live in Scotland so I had to ask. Figured you might also be in the UK from your name.

1 Like

Yes, I give the game away a bit. Greetings from across the Tweed; Watch Out For Midges (think you’ll be safe from snakes)

2 Likes

“Sarah Cody” inspired by, of course, Commando Cody.

12 Likes

Are you a UK native? I immigrated from the states myself.

1 Like

That’s a good one!

2 Likes

I’d have to go with Henson… it would keep in the tradition of the subject’s name ending with an “…on” or “…son” as well as paying homage to one of my heros, Jim Henson, not to mention pay respects to the puppet factor of mst3k.

17 Likes

Dang. McCoy is such a great choice that now I’m kicking myself because I never would have considered it.

And since it puts me in a Star Trek frame of mind, I’m tempted to go with Dunsel or Herbert (which could double as a reference to Frank Herbert).

How about Flynn, from Tron? I think that could work.

6 Likes

Hazzard, after historical action star Oliver Hazzard Perry. Jon Hazzard doesn’t sound great, but whatever, it is a bad-ass name! If I ever have another dog, that’s probably going to be its name.

9 Likes

Truthfully, anything besides my real last name would be ideal. It’s a pain having the most common last name in the entire English language.

3 Likes

Yep, although not born in Yorkshire (as anyone who was goes to great pains to point out). You’ll have noticed that MST has a small but perfectly formed following over here.

4 Likes

I’d probably choose one of the Dave Ryder riff surnames. My favorites would probably be:

Vanderhuge, Chesthair, Slamchest, Punchbeef, and Fistcrunch

7 Likes

Other than “Henson,” I also feel that “Baker” would make a great surname for a subject… it would pay proper homage to Joe Don Baker (Shut your mouth!.. I’m just talking 'bout “Mitchell”) as well as Tom Baker, clearly the most Doctor-y Doctor ever there was to travel in the TARDIS. He also had a Robot/Puppet Companion in K-9, not to mention traveling with Sarah Jane…

11 Likes