What games have you played recently?

I’ve been playing a lot of indie titles. Ikenfell, West of Loathing, Sludge Life, Hypnospace Outlaw, and Baoab’s Mausoleum to name a few. Oh and Mario Golf Super Rush.

6 Likes

I’ve got Psychonauts one and two on Xbox game pass. I’ve started the first one and really like it so far. It reminds me a bit of Ratchet and Clank.

5 Likes

Just started Bayonetta 1 and then on to 2 how have I missed this series lol

5 Likes

Not a huge gamer, but I occasionally have an Armagetron Advanced binge. It is a simple-looking version of the Lightcycles game from the original Tron movie. Simple, but addictive when you’re in the mood.
Also, since the demise of browser-based Flash compatibility, I installed a player so I can still enjoy the games I’ve downloaded, like the Royal Game of Ur (a Flash version of the oldest board game known to mankind), which is a fun two-player pursuit game.
Also there’s Gamedesign’s pretty tough version of Japanese Mah-Jongg (the proper game, not the more common Solitaire game that uses Mah-Jongg tiles). I rarely win at the latter, but enjoy the challenge.

5 Likes

The game systems I own are: Atari 2600 (and it’s the original I’ve had for 30 years), a Sega Genesis 2, and a PlayStation 1. On PC, I play a few random games I run off Windows.

The games I’ve played recently are old school Mortal Kombat (Sega; with blood codes!), FFVII (PlayStation), and on PC, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.

I am a super-systematic-completist type player, so I love big sprawling side quest type games. And it takes me FOREVER to finish. Then I start again. I like the grind of building up through a story.

6 Likes

Anyone here own an Evercade?

I do! It’s a handheld unit and (soon-to-be) console that plays officially licensed cartridges of various games like Atari, Data East, Jaleco, Interplay, etc.

It is worth getting one if you like older games, especially the lesser known ones of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

5 Likes

SO hyped for the The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch coming in November (and hoping for a Metroid version to be announced)

5 Likes

Bouncing back and forth between Wizard101, shapez.io, and Cracking the Cryptic’s various sudoku games, with occasional forays into What the Golf?, Fireworks Mania, Kerbal, and Universe Sandbox. My tastes in games are pretty simple. I even power up the ol’ PS2 for some Tiger Woods 2K5, Burnout 3, the Katamari games, or Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms… or the Wii for Wii Sports.

It’s only a matter of time before I get the necessary adapters to hook up my Atari 2600 to my set… Circus Atari on a 65" screen ought to be interesting!

And I’m sure I’m not the only one here who plays Among Us… we should schedule a session some time. :alien:

5 Likes

Weapon of Choice DX will have to check it out! Pretty awesome stuff!

Also good to know about Yukuza 0 being the start of the story. I’ve been aware of the game series and it looked good but one of those games where it didn’t really show up on my radar until there were a few games so its like where to start?

I finally downloaded Dead Space to play through that, what I played wasn’t bad but felt very Halo like.

4 Likes

Once I finish Injustice God’s Among Us I think I’ll be starting the first Psychonauts i remember hearing nothing hut good about the first but never played it. Now I am just hearing nothing but good but on an even larger scale on about the sequel.

Loved Ratchet and Clank btw

3 Likes

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy!

For Yakuza, I believe you start with Yakuza 0 and then go onto the Yakuza Kiwami series. The first Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of the first game on the series, which originally came out on PS2. The first couple of games are remakes. Most of these games are pretty cheap these days if you buy them digitally, and they go on sale often.

For Dead Space, I’ve heard that the second game is a big improvement over the first, but I haven’t played the series yet. (I own them all, but they’re part of my massive backlog.)

4 Likes

Monster Hunter Story 2 and the demo for Shadowverse for the Switch.

I’ve been enjoying my time with MHS2, just grinding dens for eggs so I can get better genes for my party. I haven’t reached endgame yet, so I haven’t gotten a Palamute yet but I’m looking forward to it.

Shadowverse demo was a lot of fun figuring out better deck synergy, but man, sometimes it feels like the NPC’s deck draws are always better than mine. Haha.

4 Likes

Thats how you mix a classic with nostalgia!!!

3 Likes

Major Animal Crossing New Horizons fan! It’s calming and it’s really hard to mess it up, which is nice. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In terms of legit the most recently I’ve played at all, I spent a good evening on the BBC site trying to tackle the hitchhiker’s text game (which involved a lot of frustration voiced over a discord voice call). For something that I’ve put more effort & time into though, I’ve been replaying both of the Hylics games on Steam.

5 Likes

I’m not a huge gamer, especially anything that requires quick reaction times, since I have pretty bad carpal tunnel and can only hold a controller for about an hour before it starts to hurt.

My main game jam is Civilization IV. Specifically Civ IV with the Realism Invictus or A New Dawn 2 mods, which massively expand the original game. IV is still the best in the series, and V and VI are (at best) glorified mobile games that strip out most of the fun and deeper strategy elements.

Also, it’s easier to play Civ IV as a total jerk, breaking treaties and stabbing allies in the back whenever it’s convenient, and since I haven’t matured in the 20+ years I’ve been playing it, I still insist upon starting every game as Emperor Dong of the mighty Dongonian empire, with Dongopolis as my capitol city, and every other city I capture or found renamed something like Dongport, Dongville, Dong Heights, Dongsmouth, Dongsylvania, Londong, Dong Lake City, Dong Kong, Dong-On-Sea… you get the general idea.

Other than that, I’m big into Roguelikes, like ADOM, Nethack, FTL, Wazhack, etc.

And semi-randomized tactical games like Disgaea, X-COM, Wasteland and the first three isometric Fallout games.

If I do play something more action/platformy, it tends to be something like Hades, (which is a brilliant semi-randomized dungeon crawl, that I can play in short bursts) or 20XX and 30XX, which are likewise semi-randomized Megaman X simulators.

Though I just started playing Carrion because it’s hard to resist a game where you get to play as a squidgy mutated monster.

6 Likes

Someone with more skill than my 0 should make a Satellite of Love Among Us map.

“I was doing riffs in the theater!”

6 Likes

Blood codes are a must!

One of the reasons I enjoy Spyro is trying to collect everything. Never hit completion on any of the Playstation but managed to get 120% on the first game in the remake for X-Box One(which is just a great game. They really nailed the game even though they had to rebuild it from ground up considering nearly of all the original game files and coding had been lost to time).

I’m half way done with my first play through of FFVII in 10 years. Which although its probably my 5th play through over the last 20 years it’s the first time I’m looking to max out Materia(at least my main ones), and collect all the ultimate weapons everything.

5 Likes

I loved the Civ games. Then they introduced the religion stuff, and then they changed the stacking and movement stuff. I think I have the vanilla version of Civ VI sitting around somewhere, and a couple of expansions for Civ V. Man, haven’t played those in ages.

3 Likes

Totes magoats (as the cool kids say). And Raiden is the best to play. Fight me. :grin:

Yaaaasss, Spyro! I’ve driven myself bonkers over the years trying to have a perfect game; every gem, every dragon, etc. It’s those stupid “flight” worlds that get me. And dang, no game wears out my thumbs faster than Spyro!

The only thing I’ve never managed to do in FFVII is beat Ruby Weapon. I got Emerald on my second try (through blind luck more than anything), but I’ve never managed Ruby. And I don’t think I’ll ever try getting the Ultimate Summon materia again. I don’t have another 18 months to dedicate to maxing out Knights of the Round! (An exaggeration, but only just…)

4 Likes