What games have you played recently?

(starts googling how to create custom Among Us maps)

I suppose there ought to be Deep 13, Moon 13, Gizmonics, and Castle Forrester maps too. And hopefully someone who knows what they’re doing will stop me and do it correctly. :smiley:

6 Likes

So, I play video games wrong, so I’m always way behind. I’m almost done with Breath of the Wild because I’m trying to play it to 100% without using map stations or teleporting.

But I am BEYOND hyped to see Fatal Frame 5 come to the Switch and Bomb Rush Cyber Funk. I cannot wait for those games.

5 Likes

The Hitch Hiker’s Guide game is legendarily and deliberately frustrating and difficult. I’ve had a few goes over the years, but never got very far.

7 Likes

Civ IV, was a darn near perfect game, aside from some WTF random number generator moments (the infamous “spearmen capable of taking down a tank” gripe.) Religions made tactical sense in that they were a thing that gave your Civ different bonuses, especially if you also happened to own the holy city, unlocked certain religion-specific wonders, and other Civs would like/hate you more depending on whether you shared the same religion as them. The whole “religion bomb your neighbors or keep your promise to not religion bomb your neighbors” thing they started in either 5 or 6 and was just kind of stupid and overly simplistic.

Inviticus and AND2 more or less stick to the classic Civ IV model, but expand on the original to make your choices a little more tactical. Each religion has slightly different gold/culture/science/spread rate bonuses (with later game religions being slightly more powerful), and Invictus has an additional option where religions will decay and your holy city will migrate to an enemy civ if they’re using it and you aren’t, so early game religion-rushing to try to nab as many holy cities as possible is less of a viable strategy, since it’s really hard to keep multiple religions at a high enough threshold to prevent them relocating. In most cases, it’s better to just focus on one or two that have the bonuses/special units you want, and allow the others to die off, remembering that if one of your holy cities moves, you can always commit genocide and destroy the other civ to take it back again later in the game.

5 Likes

For my birthday 9 months ago. my wife and kid bought me a copy of Luigi’s Mansion 3. I only got around to even opening it this afternoon. Spend about 4 hours playing, and the rest of the evening wondering why I hadn’t given it a chance earlier.

6 Likes

That’s super thorough and if you get enjoyment out of it, it ain’t “wrong” at all.

Really the only wrong way to game, I think, is in ways that negatively impact someone. Cheating, hacking, etc. in multiplayer games is unfair to others; and if you’re playing in a way that adds challenge that you aren’t enjoying or that makes you miserable, I feel like that’s just as much of a “wrong way” because generally speaking games should be enjoyed overall (even if moment-to-moment there’s bits of frustration or unpleasant struggle. Lookin at you, soul level 1 Soulsborne playthroughs).

What you’re doing (no teleports, at least) is something I tried to do in my last Skyrim playthrough, actually- it lasted maybe 8 hours before I got tired of walking everywhere. I’d probably do it again if I were to stream and do chat in the meantime, but that’s out of reach for now!

5 Likes

That’s fair, but I make games WAY harder than they need to be, for no reason, sometimes. I 100% Arkham Asylum with no map as well, and I’m still not sure why (to feel superior to the Riddler, I guess).

This part hasn’t been so bad, as Breath of the Wild has quicker movement options than Skyrim. It’s the no map stations that are killing me, as I’m playing it this way on my first go through, so I have to meticulously comb an area to find everything.

5 Likes

‘The Old Republic’

I’ve flirted with it a few times before, but every couple of years I like to roll a class I haven’t played as and run them through the stories. Honestly, it’s one of the few video games that improves with age.

That said, I never talk to nobody and treat it as a mostly single player experience. I’m just too edgy and antisocial… Plus I’m like in my thirties.

5 Likes

it’s really great, i enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would also. just finished playing it a second time last month, finally got all the gems

4 Likes

just picked up the rereleased skyward sword for switch. i actually liked the original, i thought it was fun and immersive to use the controls like a real sword. hoping this one doesn’t disappoint and looking forward to BOTW2 next year (fingers crossed)

6 Likes

Skyward Sword gets a bad rap and a lot of it is undeserved- and from what I’ve heard the problems are drastically reduced in this re-release.

The controls worked well enough, and occasionally brilliantly; but when they didn’t, they really didn’t. And Fi is the most talkative companion yet and has virtually no personality (compared to snarky chatterbox Midna from Twilight Princess), which makes it that much harder to tolerate how much is clearly explained to you and then repeated at least once, if not more.

That said, I loved the art design (that watercolor look is so good) and the characters, and despite the linear gameplay I found a lot of the story enjoyable. It’s not that easy to lose yourself in the world because everything is set apart, but a lot of the pieces felt good on their own, and with more interconnectivity could’ve made for a more complete experience to balance out the snags.

5 Likes

I’ve been bit of a Beat em up kick lately so that means a lot of Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls. Especially latter has a pretty neat art style courtesy of WayForward, aka the Shantae devs.

Also, that up coming turtles game looks good too! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge on Steam

7 Likes

Very late to the game on this, but I just started playing Breath of the Wild, at my husband’s suggestion. I haven’t gotten very far yet.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s been really good so far. Sadly I have like 12 games going at any one time.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing ever so much Final Fantasy XIV, and on the side I’ve been playing… uh, the pixel remaster of the original Final Fantasy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

River City Girls was pretty good! The overall gameplay could have been punched up a notch (feels slow in big chunks, even compared with River City Ransom) but the story was entertaining and the sheer number of celeb voice actors was impressive.

4 Likes

No time recently, but during lockdown I revisited some of my favorite RPGs of recent years (Pillars of Eternity I & II and Tyranny) and took a couple of stabs at Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Wasn’t a huge fan of the last one (reviewed by someone online as “like playing D&D with a DM who wants to kill you”) but love the others, even if the “lesser of available evils” thing with Tyranny doesn’t fit my usual gaming MO.

4 Likes

Bayonetta forever!! Gosh I loved those games so much.

5 Likes

11 Likes

I’m playing the Gamecube game on my Dolphin emulator: Eternal Darkness. And I just got started.

6 Likes