What great movies would you riff?

I’ve been watching a lot of MST3k lately, especially on twitch. Sometimes I see a movie that I imagine was probably actually a good movie back when it was released. That got me to thinking what great movies could be riffed? Of course, no one would want to see a movie like Star Wars being made fun of, but I think riffing a movie isn’t so much about pointing out the flaws of a film but rather just having a fun time with friends while watching it. For example, the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind where Roy is building a model mountain out of his mashed potatoes and then looks up to see his family staring at him, a well place fart noise would be hilarious. What great movie would you riff?

2 Likes

Someone’s never heard of “The Family Guy”, apparently.

5 Likes

(says pleasantly) You know, in 1977 it was just a silly summer popcorn movie. It seems to have turned into a religion.

6 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve seen them and I love them! :rofl::joy:
I don’t think a parody is the same thing as riffing a movie but that’s a great example of just having fun with a great movie. What other examples do you have?

2 Likes

Well, I mean, Rifftrax has done Casablanca and It’s a Wonderful Life, just e.g.

As for Star Wars, a lot of those “Family Guy” bits would work as riffs. Like Luke showing up the guy with his “Womp rats in Beggar’s Canyon Line”. I could even hear Mike saying, “Good po—heyyyy!”

Actually Rifftrax has done all (?) the Wars of Star. I even own “New Hope” apparently. Heh. (I don’t do the “just the riffs” ones, but sometimes they’re crowdfund rewards.)

The Matrix would probably work, AlienCitizen Kane…any movie that requires a lot of atmosphere is easy to riff because the movie is asking for audience buy-in, and riffing is anti-buy-in. But if you’re going to riff one of these classics, you better bring a hell of an A-game.

4 Likes

There was a riffing live show at Dragoncon a while back where they did just that. “MST3K: Star Wars Style”

4 Likes

Rifftrax did The Matrix, and Alien. All the Harry Potter films. Lots of Marvel. Maybe not “great” films, but lots that decent are enjoyed by many. There’s even a category for Oscar winners if that means anything to ya. They did Charade too, thanks to a famous copyright screw-up. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m willing to trust it’s better than Rollergator.

Oh yeah, MST3K did Hamlet! My wife did a project last year where she read every Shakespeare Play along with a FaceBook group. Apparently there are plenty of serious Shakespeare folks who like the version that MST3K used. It might not be the best version of Hamlet, but it’s still Hamlet.

I still can’t think of any good movie suggestions of my own.

6 Likes

I’m really not one for riffing on good or great movies. But hey as long you’re having fun… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I did an iRiff for The Terminator. I had fun writing it and riffing on it, though it was quite a lot of time doing it, and probably the only thing preventing me from riffing any more films, good or bad, is the time suck it requires.

But hey, if you want to check it out, here’s the link: SAPPTrax Sacks The Terminator

3 Likes

Great movies that are riffable?

Richard Fleischer’s Violent Saturday (1955) - Victor Mature, Lee Marvin, Sylvia Sydney, and Ernest Borgnine as an Amish man. The latter is worth commentary on that alone. A bank robbery in a southwestern community goes wrong and the 50s trappings are ripe for riffing.

Alfred Hitchcock’s The Trouble with Harry (1955) - The 50s Weekend at Bernie’s (1989). Dead body appears in Vermont countryside and comic hijinks ensue. A quaint strange little comedy by the Master of Suspense. Edmund Gwenn, John Forsythe, Shirley MacLaine (in her film debut), Jerry Mathers. Worthy of a few words.

Stanley Kubrick’s The Killing (1956) - Sterling Hayden, Vince Edwards, Elisha Cook Jr, Marie Windsor. The nonstop narration, the nonlinear narrative, the talkiness of it, and the oddball flourishes throughout (the man losing his shirt like skin off a chicken or the poodle at the airport) practically begs for comments.

John Sturges’s The Great Escape (1963) - The comic dramatic tone, the extreme length, and that cast are to ideal be gently kidded over and over. Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, James Donald, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, David McCallum. A WWII prison breakout and Donald Pleasence as a blind man? Gold.

John Frankenheimer’s The Train (1964) - Burt Lancaster vs The Nazis, Die Hard on a Train, Railroads and Art Treasures in the same breath. The novelty of the story, the black and white grittiness, this sells itself. The Train is earnest and authentic enough to be riffed.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) - Steve McQueen plays against type as a wealthy businessman who robs banks from afar using surrogates. Faye Dunaway, Jack Weston, Yaphet Kotto. A trippy experimental movie. The divided screen showing varying images and its 60s style endear it as a candidate to talk over.

Michael Winner’s The Mechanic (1972) - A movie this weird deserves the MST treatment. Charles Bronson, Jan Michael-Vincent, Keenan Wynn, Jill Ireland. Skillful assassin adopts a protege and instructs him in how to kill. Their bond and the film’s twists and turns seem tailor-made to kid.

John Guilermain’s The Towering Inferno (1974) - Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Faye Dunaway, Fred Astaire, Susan Blakely, Richard Chamberlain, Jennifer Jones, O.J. Simpson, Robert Vaughn, Robert Wagner. Everything that money can buy including a roasting.

James Fargo’s The Enforcer (1976) - Third Dirty Harry movie teams Clint Eastwood and Tyne Daly as they combat a criminal group right out of Easy Rider (1969). A rollercoaster movie worthy of attention. MST alumni Bradford Dillman co-stars.

I didn’t know know about any of these RiffTrax. I need to start looking for them. :v::heart::clapper:

2 Likes

Instinctively I’m going to answer The Wizard of Oz.

2 Likes

I was just watching that the other night and was thinking the same thing. :v::heart::clapper:

2 Likes