What Grinds Your Gears (MST3K edition)

“You had some new episodes where Crow’s voice was that of a woman. Not interested in those and will not watch any where Crow or Servo has a women’s voice and I have been a fan of MST3K from the beginning.”

I mean come on!!!

1 Like

I like my conspiracy theory better, though.

Weird Al voice:

“…and I know this might seem eerie, but it proves my Chaos Theory…” *

*Probably not now Chaos Theory would actually work. But I like to try and sound smart.

3 Likes

I’m going to step in here as a moderator to say that I’m worried about this thread. I’m not sure how successful the idea of a judgment-free zone for judging the prior judgment of others will be.

That said, I will also remind everyone that the rules still apply. I don’t want to see unkindness or attacks directed toward individuals who have expressed an opinion that you do not agree with.

15 Likes

smells his coat

I think im still good?

1 Like

That was just a preemptive warning. It wasn’t directed to anyone in particular or to any post.

9 Likes

Does this mean that my Corbett-esque Crow rant culminating in that classic Blues stanza
(:notes: “Yeah, you sure look pretty, Baby but you’re gonna’ die one day…” :notes: ) is right out?

[sigh] I worked SO HARD on that! Well, if anyone wants to see it they can DM me.

[sets out more Raisin Snails]

4 Likes

My conspiracy theory is that we have the ‘SINGULARITY EVENT’ all wrong and what it really means is that all art and media will eventually average a 6.5 on imdb

You know in your soul im right!!!

1 Like

To be honest my main wish was to see some of the older fans talk about the changes made through the older seasons as well as the new seasons. I didn’t get to see the change from Joel to Mike or from Josh to Kevin so reading a person’s thoughts on that and what it was like for them at the time was a motivator. And I mean being non judgmental in the sense that it’s an established critique that has a multitude behind it like the “Crow’s voice opinion” of the newer seasons is something I’ve seen from many. I see your point on judging past critiques being at odds with a non judgmental space. I mostly meant that for between the members of the forum in the thread in particular. I absolutely will not be unkind to anybody even if my disagreement is strong. This for me was all about understanding the perspectives of others. If it devolves into something less than please close the thread.

8 Likes

I started watching in '91 or '92, but I didn’t get into actually talking about MST3K with other people until the Facebook revival group, then this forum. So I didn’t hear too many of the complaints re the first show run, other than the infamous Servo’s New Voice banner. But it also means I got to entirely pass over the J vs M flame wars, for which I am eternally grateful. I just kind of tootled along enjoying the episodes on my own, so every once in a while people will mention an old complaint and I will be like “oh was that a thing?” :smiley:

5 Likes

One of the privileges of being a kid in the 90s is you just take it at face value. Not like I looked up one day, screamed ‘Joel!!’ and found the 1-3 forums on 28.8k yahoo to complain.

My parents might pick up the phone at any minute then im in real trouble

4 Likes

I got the snail mail newsletter with the announcement in advance, so I wasn’t shocked at all by the change in hosts. Once I recognized that Mike was already someone I “knew” from the show I thought, “Yeah, great this will work just fine.” I never tuned in for all the uproar about it until years after the fact. I’m still kinda’ weirded out by it, for reasons already explained in other threads.

2 Likes

There was a newsletter!?

2 Likes

My first ever episode was Cave Dwellers in early 2000s. I thought it was boring and just truthfully didn’t get it. My second episode was Laserblast and I thought it was a hoot and loved it, so I ended up on the Mike side of things without really giving Joel a chance. Some years later and I watched Mitchell and finally Joel’s style clicked with me. I would say now looking back on things I was on the Mike side, but I never took part in a flame war about it. He was just my preference, but as of now I see that perspective as coming from youth and ignorance more than anything because I now love all of the episodes.

4 Likes

I still have a few of 'em squirreled away somewhere.

Was not really online until… 1998-ish? And for… reasons I had already drifted away from the fandom. So I knew little about all the drama that was in vogue then.

1 Like

[Eddie Haskell voice] I’ve been good the whole time and didn’t say a word, Dear Moderator. [/Eddie Haskell voice]

3 Likes

What’s eternally hilarious to me is how conjoined their style of humor really is once you scratch away some of the surface differences. I mean, it HAS to be. They wrote stuff for each other. lol This was never two people in separate soundproof booths just guessing stuff about someone they’d only met 30 minutes ago.

4 Likes

I remember watching a Josh Servo voiced episode for the very first time and decidedly despising him as Dr. Erdhart. But I now watch his episodes with glee. I don’t know if bad criticisms of the show are really organic or a part of not growing as time goes on because for me my “bad takes” came from not yet fully appreciating what I was presented with.

3 Likes

Cave Dwellers was always one of my less favorite episodes. It became popular because it was put out on video very early, and maybe it was a rights thing and the movie was in color, so maybe it was thought to be more accessible. But I think it’s less funny than most of the episodes around it.
I’m glad you gave the other episodes a chance.

3 Likes

[sigh] I love Cave Dwellers. The sword and sorcery cosplay thing is quoted in our home with alarming regularity. :laughing:

5 Likes

I can run a marathon on MST3K D&D episodes alone

1 Like