What happened to THE FINAL SACRIFICE?

Most of the jokes Mike & the bots made were more jokes about Canada in general, than mean-spirited insults. The film itself for all it’s cheapness and goofiness was likable enough and I thought the filmmakers were good sports about it, knowing no one would ever give a hoot, otherwise.

Clearly, I was wrong.

7 Likes

The actors have been good sports about it, just not Great Anus.

6 Likes

Not only that, but it’s a decent quality copy. Downloaded, stitched together with a video editor and backed up for safe keeping (or until Tjardus has a change of heart).

6 Likes

THEY ARE DOING THIS RIGHT NOW AND I AM LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF

YOU WONDERFULLY EVIL DASTARDS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :smiley:

7 Likes

Rommel, you sonofab----, I read your book!

7 Likes

A little back story about Final Sacrifice. Shout had to do a lot of fennagling to get the rights holder to license out. Reading between the lines, I think Shout threw enough money that they couldn’t say no as long as the licensing was short term. I get the feeling that the owner was protective of their film. I think it was long enough that, hypothetically, long time fans would be able to buy the set with FS before it went out of print.

My take away from collecting official MST3K episodes was that they were always finite releases. You had to snap them up because those sets were going to be out of print.

It’s been kind of a thing for episodes that are put out from the original run over the 20 odd years they have been put out on physical media.

The other thing was avoiding the resell market.

Vol. 10 with the whole Godzilla vs. Megalon debacle was a wake up call for me. I lucked out since Amazon Canada was still selling it for a month after Rhino pulled it from rhe US market. That set shot up to some really absurd prices.

For the longest time MST3K the Movie was hard to come by because Universal put out a bare bones DVD that went out of print and an affordable version didn’t happen until Shout parlayed a re-release.

I’m hoping in this streaming era of MST we don’t have licensing rights lapsing as often. But it’s kind of been a reality throughout the physical media release era of the show.

Final Sacrifice is another example of how FOMO is an actual real think in MST3K. You get a chance to own a legal copy you get it at all cost.

9 Likes

Funny enough, the DVDs were how I got introduced to most of the Sci Fi era episodes… I don’t remember if my cable provider dropped Sci Fi for a little while or if I just had other things scheduled that night. I only remember catching a handful of them while on TV, especially “The Screaming; Skull.”

2 Likes

“Rah!”

2 Likes

So I had read, somewhere, r/something or other maybe, that someone was wanting to try and remake it and the rights were pulled. I tried looking to see if i could find the story again but couldnt. Maybe i just had a favor dream or was just Rowsdower drunk on maple syrup.

2 Likes

Wow. My DVD set is more valuable than ever then. I never figured on Final Sacrifice being an episode that would get pulled.

Wow again. It’s for sale on Amazon for $200. I suppose if I get tired of MST3K and don’t want my DVDs anymore, I can make some money on it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally.

4 Likes

It’s listed, but you can’t actually watch it or buy it.

3 Likes

Futurama Reaction GIF

4 Likes

If it becomes available, I am buying it. Don’t want to risk the rights going away again.

4 Likes

I saw a buy button but clicking on it just takes you back to the front page. It says it’s part of the MST Classic Collection?

I don’t know Tjardus’s reasons for not wanting it (the MST-verion) out there, but the thing is, it’s out there. Much like Rocketship X-M will be out there, no matter what you do, that genie is out of the bottle. To me, you might as well profit from it. But Tjardus has got to be Tjardus, I have no animosity towards him. Just hope for those who weren’t around to buy the disc, that he changes his mind someday.

Notes: It was cool that Bruce J. Mitchell participated in interviews and was seen on an extra.

And about a decade ago I did reach out to Christian Malcolm for a possible interview, but he declined. He didn’t respond to me directly but through someone else, so I asked them to relay my best wishes for him and his career. And to assure him that the request came from a place of love and respect (I wasn’t going to do a hatchet job on him).

I don’t know if they passed on that message, but you’re out there Christian, yes, we had a laugh at your (and others) expense, but Troy is one of MSTs iconic movie characters… you’ll always be aces in our hearts and minds.

9 Likes

Tjardy’s got a career doing serious documentaries. Maybe he just doesn’t need his early stuff getting plastered all over. In Hollywood, you have to be seen to be doing the current chic things to get in to the right shmoozer parties to be able to make deals with fickle Hollywood money jerks who can’t be seen with anyone who’s juice is soured in the wrong ways. Or maybe we could all just stop calling him that name and telling him he’s a dummy face that made a dumb movie.

5 Likes

All? Please read my post above yours.

All? Hell, I thank him for his movie - he’s not a dummy face and he didn’t make a dumb movie.

3 Likes

The fact that if you search it and you get something is a good sign, though. It could mean they’re close to acquiring the rights.

If you search for The Deadly Bees or The Projected Man (two quick examples), you only get the Season Nine link.

3 Likes

It’s just a kinda shorthand. I can’t explain it.

3 Likes

It’s cool.

It’s like when I sometimes use the word “we” in a write-up or whatever, and I think, no not “we”, it should be “I” if I’m speaking for myself - We should only be used when I’m taking a dune buggy ride in the desert with Arch Hall Jr.

“Stop saying wee, nobody says wee!” - Tom Servo

5 Likes