What host segment made you laugh so hard you couldn't breathe?

My family and I recently saw THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN episode for the first time and we were all hysterical about the opening llama bit. (MST3K lama joke - YouTube)

The combination of Servo’s farmer drawl, him gradually going from calm to yelling at the top of his lungs, Mike doing almost nothing in the first 20 seconds with a deadpan manner, and Crow’s llama squeals just brought out so much joy from us. We will never be able to look at llamas the same way again.

All this to ask the question: Is there a host segment in particular that you thought was absolutely hysterical and still can’t help but have a huge belly laugh over?

40 Likes

The Murder Mystery Dinner Theater from Bloodlust (go to 1:11:38 in case the video doesn’t take you there right away).

You can only really experience the full effect of the host segment once on that first viewing, but it’s guffaw-worthy.

10 Likes

This one never gets old: (“Can I get some water, please?”)

12 Likes

This one kills me every time. Crow’s beard, and the endlessness of it—it’s just so, so funny. I’m giggling just going to YouTube to grab the link.

23 Likes

This, definitely this.
I laughed so hard I hurt the first time I saw Mike and the bots providing some “local color” for the Mads’ bed & breakfast.
Thus the screen name, of course. :grin:

10 Likes

Top Three (subject to changed based on people reminding me of others)

– A Joke by Ingmar Bergman

– A Patrick Swayze Christmas

– Tom and Crow write their own circus act (but a funny death!)

22 Likes

Other eternal winners:

• The “Vaguely Italian” sketch from Devil Fish. The dolphin skits are… all right. But they can’t compete.

• Mike as-- Coatimundi Man!!

• Joel’s Super-Dragon Jazz Trio (but I already mentioned that in the thread about musical sketches)

• The KLACK commerical from First Spaceship On Venus. I rarely see anyone mention this episode or this sketch, but it’s so deadpan and yet so trippy! It should be everyone’s fave! :love_letter:

• Kin to KLACK: The T.GI.Tokyo sketch [ETA- Gamera vs. Barugon ], which I assume draws heavily on Mike’s career as waiter even though it’s Joel being the eternally patient server. (And doing a fine job. I don’t listen to anyone who says he can’t act well. I don’t even listen to him when he says it! :stuck_out_tongue: )

12 Likes

My first thought was indeed Don't Give Mikey No Matches! - YouTube

I still drop a “DON’T GIVE NO MATCHES TO MIKEY” from time-to-time.

But as that’s already been picked…

Why yes, I do think barely controlled screaming is funny, why do you ask?

11 Likes

I’d say the “Pet the Llama” bit is arguably the most perfect MST3K host segment ever.
Mike’s creepy unblinking stare, Tom’s drawl, and Crow’s gradually more distressed llama impersonation are just flawless. There’s nothing you could conceivably add to that skit that could make it funnier than it already is.

Crow’s never-ending Grateful Dead guitar solo is likewise hilarious, even down to Crow’s facial expression. For anybody who frequents live gigs or plays music themselves, this skit takes on an extra level of brilliance, because we’ve all encountered the self-indulgent guitar solo in the wild, frequently performed by people who are in no way talented enough to deserve a self-indulgent guitar solo, but so far up their own butts they truly believe they’re jamming like Hendrix or in tune with the cosmic spheres or some such nonsense. (This sort of person also inevitably has a girlfriend in the band who only plays wind chimes or some other equally stupid non-instrument). Add to that the sheer meandering noodliness of Crow’s performance, and gratuitous misuse of the Wah pedal, and it just ramps that up to 11. The guy who composes this bit is a musical god to create something so inconceivably perfectly flawed.

Henceforth, all noodly guitar solos will be judged by how they stack up to Crow’s performance.

But my own contribution to the list has to be the bit with Winky from Crash of the Moons.
It’s another example of a skit that descends into pure insanity with everybody yelling over everyone else, and a character that utterly refuses to give up on the illusion they’ve spun for themselves.

20 Likes

A few more that never fail to get a laugh out of me:

The SOL crew’s failed Christmas caroling attempt, from Santa Claus:

Crow’s Film Anti-Preservation Society, from Beast of Yucca Flats:

Crow’s Report on Malta, from Final Justice:

Square Dance, from Bloodlust:

And lastly (couldn’t find a video link), Manly Beach Dance Time, from Horror of Party Beach. I crack up every time I hear Crow’s “He’s SO nude!”

19 Likes

Yes! Winky’s savage dating life from his mom’s/Clarissa’s basement is fantastic.

I wish we they had done more Rocky Jones movies so we could have gotten more of Mike’s version of Winky.

edit: added “version of” because “Mike’s Winky” sounded um… inappropriate

11 Likes

Found the KLACK segment! (Warning: Do not watch while eating or drinking… anything.)

I have a heap of old Kraft pamphlets from the 1930s-1950s, and this isn’t even that far from what most of those completed recipes look like.

:sob: :laughing:

11 Likes

GET DOWN ON YOUR ORANGE AND YELLOW KNEES AND KISS MY CLOWN FEET THAT I HAVEN’T KILLED YOU!
Love it.

I love the “Previously on the Satellite of Love” sketch in The Deadly Bees.

Mike listening to music in The Creeping Terror.

The Fugitive Alien Medley.

“Lunch is at 11:30, right, Mike?”

Of course, the Local Color sketch, too.

11 Likes

Thought of more!

– Crow’s line of designer sunglasses for Italian men

– Crow’s report on Maltese men

– The Canada song

I do enjoy it when one or more of the bots goes off the rails.

13 Likes

Joe Sacco is a journalist who wades into war zones to write and draw very good non-fictional graphic novels, and he’s Maltese.

Checkmate, Crow. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes
  • Mike as Morrissey!

• This early gem:

16 Likes

Mike’s “I Am Sad” song from Girl in Gold Boots. Mike’s sappy song…Crow cutting in as the fire rages out of control around them. *Chef kiss

23 Likes

I love the words to his song. “Your touch, your feet… I am sad.”

9 Likes

The “Are you happy in your work?” song skit makes me laugh every time. I love it so much.

Another favorite is the one in “Track of the Moon Beast” where they mock the awkward meeting and plot set up scene.

11 Likes

When Pearl takes Brain Guy’s brain hostage and threatens to stab it. Everyone screaming and talking at once only to have Pearl calla timeout to tell Mike and the bots, “I accidentally lied” about sending them more bad movies then going back to the screaming threats and panic. Bobo is no help at all and reverts to ape aggression displays.

4 Likes