What host segment made you laugh so hard you couldn't breathe?

THANK YOU

I love this host segment with every fiber of my being. It goes on for a very long time (presumably because they couldn’t use shorts to pad out the episode), but even so, it still feels like it doesn’t go on long enough.

Kevin Murphy is a flippin’ delight there. “Punch-happy tomato!”

5 Likes

‘A Joke by Ingmar Bergman’, for the sheer audacity of going that far for a joke that old. Also, the ‘out of sync’ segment while they were falling through a wormhole.

10 Likes

The time distortion host segment from Prince of Space is probably the best written and maybe maybe maybe the funniest host segment of the Sci-Fi era.

It really feels like the spiritual successor of such Comedy Central-era sketches like the quantum linear super-positioning host segment from Gunslinger.

7 Likes

Two picks not yet mentioned:

1. Winter Sports Cavalcade from It Conquered the World. Didn’t do much for me solo, but watching with a group of friends who were born and raised in Minnesota led to everyone laughing so hard we had to replay the piece twice. It’s available on Youtube but I’m not sure it works without the preceding short film. OTOH, if you watch Crow you’ll see how amazing Trace is as a puppeteer at making him funny.
    MST3K - Winter Sports Cavalcade - YouTube

2. Tom Servo builds a death ray… for peaceful purposes only. Combines one of my favorite bits with one of my favorite bloopers.
    MST3k - Tom Servo's Death Ray - YouTube

9 Likes

One of my favorites is “Death Stalker and the Warriors from Hell”. I don’t even recall the movie, but Pearl Forrester is sick with an intestinal parasite and spends the whole time calling out “CLAYTON…CLAYTON…CLAYTON” just, non stop. It really tickled my funny bone! This episode is available for streaming on Shout Factory TV, I think I’m going to watch it later! Death Stalker and the Warriors from Hell

3 Likes

I know the early episodes and skits aren’t to most people’s taste. However, I have to put in a good word for the “sleeper” from The Mad Monster in which Joel explains to the robots that you can’t really think too hard about how a werewolf would be able to eat a whole human being in one sitting. (And related matters.) That always builds up on me slowly until I’m guffawing quite a lot by the end.

7 Likes

Another early favorite is the “Tom Servo hits on a blender” one.

There really is a lot to enjoy about Season One.

10 Likes

The KTMA segment this is a redo of is also funny, since many of the lines are the same.

5 Likes

This feels an awful lot like pure Firesign Theater word salad. I like how quickly it descends into the surreal.

4 Likes
17 Likes

Yep. Only a couple of melting watches or maybe an owl-headed Varo “action figure” could’ve made it better. :art:

3 Likes

My pick would be Crow gogo-dancing in The Girl in Gold Boots, and reminding a horrified Mike that he usually doesn’t wear any clothes at all.

As for my father, I didn’t get it, but he knew about Music from the Heart of Space, so Music from Some Guys in Space on the Pod People episode practically knocked him off the couch laughing.

8 Likes

Its between “The Magic In You” from Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and The Christmas Caroling that went left and Crows eyeballs fell out :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

“Pet the Llama” is legendary, and Def my fav. But that’s already been said. My honorable mention would be “Hugh Beaumont: Horseman of the Apocalypse”

https://youtu.be/alAyw0mpqW0

6 Likes

I agree that the llama bit is a classic. And the McDonalds sketch is the best so far from Jonah’s run as host. But I will always get a hardy chuckle from the sketch from Danger! Death Ray when Servo shoots Crow with his death laser. The fact that his eyes accidentally catch fire has always both horrified and amused my family and me endlessly.

11 Likes

:smiley:

Oh, terrific!

And to show how tickled they were and that they were good sports about the whole thing, the Music from the Hearts of Space folks sent free music to the MST3K team. Gotta say, that’s pretty awesome!

7 Likes

And honestly, it’s an effect that’s on par with what the movie throws at us!

7 Likes

I don’t know if it’s actually the funniest, it’s probably not, but special mention had to go to the Manos bit on exaggerated physical features, mainly for all the faces Joel makes during it. My friends and coined the term “Joel faces” over it.

6 Likes

Yeah for me the funniest skits are usually the ones where they just reenact a scene from the movie verbatim.

1 Like

Makes me laugh every time I watch it

14 Likes