What if...

Does anybody else wish the team could riff on a classic movie like “Casablanca?”

I guess there are legal restrictions.

Well…

5 Likes

Yes, but to be fair, I think they meant MST3K.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of riffing good movies. I actually want to pay attention to good movies so I don’t miss any details.

4 Likes

I don’t even like Cassablanca so I don’t want to watch the riffed version and get backed into defending it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will always grieve the loss of the Battletruck riff. I bet it would be incredible.

1 Like

They already riffed Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, which is basically Casablanca.

9 Likes

RiffTrax riffed it. It’s still in their catalog.

Rifftrax has done several, and the humor is there, but with Casablanca I got so wrapped up in it, even after I shut down the Trax and watched the movie without (hoping that would help) I still would get sucked into the story - and again, there are some laughs, but I was like, “Shhh, I’m trying to watch this” :laughing:

Strangely, I didn’t have an issue with that, while watching their riff on The Wizard of Oz, maybe fantasy is easier to drift away with, than a war time romance (where love hurts) with multiple characters and story threads to focus on. They also got me laughing pretty steady with Oz (not sure how it holds up, haven’t watched in long time)

So, I think you can do a classic, it just depends on the classic, and how involving it is. I have no set rule about what you riff on, but I do think there are movies that are not well suited to it.

2 Likes