What is the best MST3k skit of all time?

I am voting for " Hit me Swayze one more time" OR Joel doing “Every country has a monster”. rap please!

4 Likes
7 Likes

It’s the one where Mike, Tom and Crow are each slightly offset timewise.

It fits together so well, while being so trivial at the same time.

Alls I know is I want my chicken puppet back!

15 Likes

There’s already a thread for this, linked above. I suggest people use that thread rather than extend a new one.

3 Likes

In defense of this topic, there is a distinction to be made between “favorite” and “best”. Like, one’s selections for favorite and best movies could be way, way different, such as someone calling Airplane their favorite movie and Citizen Kane the best movie.

With that in mind, the Ingmar Bergman sketch from The Sword and the Dragon isn’t my all-time favorite host segment, but I would put it in contention for the honors of the best host segment they ever made.

10 Likes

I have to go with 'Hired!: The Musical" from Bride of the Monster, ‘A Joke by Ingmar Bergman’ from The Sword and the Dragon, the ‘time out of sync’ segment from Prince of Space, ‘Every Monster Has a Country’ from Reptilicus.

And as usual, I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

10 Likes

Abbott and Costello-inspired Noh Theatre sketch or the Time Warp sketch from Prince of Space.

Runner up either Hired! the Musical or The Fugitive Alien medley.

11 Likes

It is my favorite sketch and, I think, the finest sketch of the show. The bleak, Bergmanian b&w style, the daringly long, slow camera pans back and forth, the slow line readings, the sounds of the waves and the seagulls, the pacing of everything – every detail was so well thought out and executed. And the punchline is absurdly perfect.

They reached a new peak with that sketch.

16 Likes

I really like the skit from Eegah when they describe their own personal Hell. I just feel it’s Mst at it’s most Mst-like moment.

11 Likes
  1. (tie)“Hired!: The Musical” and “The Orville Redenbacher Sketch”
  2. “Civil Defense Quiz Bowl”
  3. “Snow Thrills - Winter Cavalcade of Fun”
  4. “When Loving Lovers Love”
6 Likes

As well, I might add, the 43th.

5 Likes

Quite right. I remember elsewhere I had started a topic about the best Disney film, clarifying right at the start I was looking at quality filmmaking rather than likability, and so many people picked Robin Hood with little more explanation than “We like it”.

So, to the topic at hand, I think there is a very strong argument to be made for the skits from Pod People. That was arguably the first stand-out great episode, and sketches like Idiot Control Now and Trumpy Is Magic helped set the bar.

7 Likes
11 Likes

so many different kinds…

i like the Family Portrait one that might be on Rhe Day The Earth Froze

8 Likes

Watched Snow Thrills late last night, as well as the accompanying host segment:

How Kevin Murphy was able to talk non-stop for that long and not crack is incredible! This is one of my favorites.

6 Likes

This shiz tight right here.

9 Likes

Also love the Steak skit from The Day Time Ended. Hilarious

4 Likes

Most of my favorites are from the Mike era. Including Screaming Crow prank, Mike as…, Mike’s Tea Time, and Murmering from a crash.

Some Joel favorites include the bots switching their voices claiming Joel is crazy, the Holo Clowns, and Torgo’s Pizza.

6 Likes

The popcorn sketch with Crow and Servo in Godzilla vs. Megalon. It starts funny and turns dark. MST’s awesome take on Orville Redenbacher!

5 Likes

It’s still funny without the context of the commercials from back in the day. A lot of MST pop culture skits don’t hold up well (I’m thinking of several from the Mike Comedy Central years), but this one just doesn’t hold back.

3 Likes