What is your favorite format/flavor of riff?

So many different forms in which a riff can be constructed/delivered. Two of my favorite formats are:

“Observation that what’s being shown doesn’t remotely match what is being attempted to be conveyed to the audience”
Examples:

Mitchell, when the (looks like Johnny Mathis) burglar is trying to break into Deaney’s house, and it is noted “looks like he’s trying to break out of the house”, since the camera angle and set do make it look more like they are trying to get out than break in.

Carnival Magic, when inside the research… institute? Several riffs point out how much this front of a house, and definitely a motel room never once communicates the setting that the scenes are supposed to be in.

“Two people and a film reference in regard to one character’s appearance” (I’ve seen some complain when too many of these pop up, but I love them, every time)

They are usually delivered in the order of [Insert Actor’s Name] as [Insert Another Actor’s Name] in [Insert Film Name].

Does everyone like these? What other format has you gasping for air?

4 Likes

Simple though it may be, the category of riff that most consistently cracks me up is “Tom Servo makes a noise of acknowledgment, confirmation, or confusion as if he’s closely following the events of the film.” (“Mmmhmm. Mmhm. Hmmm?”) These happen all the time, and they always leave me laughing.

3 Likes

I so agree, these are hilarious and spot-on in a way that’s often surprising.

I also enjoy when a character in the movie is talking on the phone and the bots are supplying the other side of the conversation.

I love the recurring jokes too. It feels like an inside joke within an inside joke. “As we left the clam flowage that day…”

5 Likes

I’m a fan of any Kevin Murphy music-based riff. Two of my favorites are:

1. In Eegah!: Eegah sneaks up behind Roxy, reaching for her shoulder as music crescendos. Tom belts out “Born Free!”

2. In Time Chasers: Tom starts singing Walking on Broken Glass when the film score sounds very similar.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is an almost endless list, but the one that immediately popped to mind is when there is a jump cut to a closeup and everyone just gives that quick, excited shout that I can’t begin to try to spell out. (“Wuah!” I guess?)

4 Likes

One favorite is whenever a little, absurd twist is made in what’s happening. Scene calls for pouring a stiff drink? It suddenly becomes maple syrup or balsamic vinegar and I completely lose it.

I also find Trace-era Crow hilarious whenever his humor goes into dark territory. That iteration of Crow was, most of the time, naïve and whimsical so that sudden sharp turn (but delivered in the same upbeat manner) is gold. Kinda like how Crow is gold. But a little bit different.

4 Likes

That gets me every. Single. Time. :laughing:

3 Likes

“I want to decide who lives and who dies” is one of my all time favorite lines from the show.

1 Like

Not so much a riff, but when Joel or Mike (haven’t seen Jonah do this) try to interact with what’s on the screen, turning dials, pressing buttons, whatever.

4 Likes

Agree. His singing ability really is amazing. I imagine Kevin just walks around singing most of the day.

3 Likes

Or this old chestnut!

2 Likes

Towards the end of “The Dead Talk Back”, he starts to sing “O Canada”. When Crow begins to stand, I lose it every time.

1 Like

@ColdStorage Later on, Tom’s “Oh, hi Miss GrambyAAAAAAAAAAH!!!AAAAAAAAAAH!!!” is one of my all-time favorite riffs.

1 Like

My favorite flavor of riff is either grapefruit or maple.

1 Like

When anyone riffing puts words into the screen character’s mouths. For example, in Final Sacrifice, the skinny kid asks the old miner “You know my father?” and Crow shouts back “Knew him? he was delicious!”

2 Likes

All of them. :smiley:

1 Like

I love the non-sequitur lines (which, IIRC, Mary Jo excelled at writing) or sudden outbursts (in the Giant Spider Invasion, the sudden jump cut to Alan Hale laughing for no reason accompanied by a delighted “PUDDING!!”)

I also lose it at any absurd humor (the end of The Skydivers: “Her hair blossomed!”) and, as TinyRaven mentioned, supplying character dialogue (my all-time favorite being Mary Lee’s entire “…and then he (‘Died’) but he was (‘Being killed by me’)…” in Girls Town).

2 Likes

Also love it when the actor goofs up and Joel and the bots create a little on-set dialog.

Actor: Sorry, I [insert mistake here]…
Director: Keep rolling!

2 Likes