What is your favorite theme song from a MST3K movie?

So the other night I watched Operation Double 007 again for the first time in a long while. While I get a big laugh out of how the crew makes fun of the movie’s opening theme song, I was thinking, “ya know, if you scaled that arrangement and singer back a bit, that’s really not a bad song for what this movie is aiming to be”. I’m guessing it was designed to be an intentionally over-the-top mashup of the themes to Thunderball and Goldfinger, demonstrating right out of the gate the “wink, wink” nature of the film (which I liked). But the tune itself is kinda catchy and the lyrics (what I could make out of them) couldn’t be more awful than “The Spy Who Loved Me”.

But that got me to thinking about the themes to other MST3k films. They’ve included everything from John Carradine’s moving performance of “Night Train to Mundo Fine” to Milton DeLugg (before his Band With a Thug)'s “Hooray For Santa Claus” to the stirring rock 'n roll of Paul Anka’s “Girl’s Town”. So what theme from all the movies they have riffed has turned out to be your favorite(s)? I’ll have to think on this a bit myself.

13 Likes

The end theme to Space Mutiny

6 Likes

The opening title music for Moon Zero Two.

14 Likes

I really like the opening synth music to Robot Holocaust/Laserblast for some reason.

6 Likes

The title sequence is the best bit of that movie; it may end up reality in our lifetimes. Albeit without the Soviet flags.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of “You Better Run,” the end credits song of Final Justice. It’s a groovy/oozy thing, with just a hint of wah-ka-chika.

6 Likes

Danger!! Death Ray, of course!

One more time, everybody, all together now:

:musical_note: BUPA-DUPA-DA-DA! :musical_note:

:musical_note: BA DA DA, BA BA DA DA! :musical_note:

13 Likes

The epic Puma Man theme song!

11 Likes

Danger: Diabolik, by none other than the legendary Ennio Morricone, a man I legit consider on the same level as Mozart and Beethoven and feel privileged to have lived at the same time as.

14 Likes

Hooray for Santy Clause gets my vote. It’s quite catchy.

12 Likes

My two favorites are Operation Double 007 and Moon Zero Two, which have both already been mentioned. And it feels like cheating to pick “Ace of Spades” from Zombie Nightmare, since it was a hit song way before that stupid film (despite Mike and the Bots making fun of it, “Ace of Spades” is an all-time classic at this point. RIP Lemmy).

So I’ll just say the surf rock opening credits music for Horror of Party Beach. All The Del-Aires music in the movie is great.

11 Likes

I don’t know if you can consider it a theme song, but what the heck… California Laaaaady!

These are more theme-like, and are favorites…

• Moon Zero Two, Julie Driscoll
  • The Last Race, Jack Nitzsche, Village of the Giants
7 Likes

For overall soundtrack, I’m tempted to go with the Del-Aires for The Horror of Party Beach. That music is just too much fun, and I’d be tempted to unironically buy and enjoy that soundtrack.

9 Likes

my my my my mitchell

4 Likes

The Gamera song that Mike turned into a lounge piano number.

8 Likes

[nod]

Not one thing wrong with Carradine’s “Night Train”, apart from the movie it was stuck to. He was born to sing the Blues!!

I feel that “Never Steal Anything Wet” from Catalina Caper might be higher in fans’ estimation if its sound quality wasn’t so terrible. I mean, c’mon! That’s MARY freakin’ WELLS! singing!!

7 Likes

Who also wrote the theme for:

Seriously, if you tone down the bombastic arrangement and singing, that is not a bad song at all and it is more memorable than several legit Bond movie theme songs.

5 Likes

The rockingest action theme!

6 Likes

Same singer too, Maria Cristina Brancucci, who was known for that big bombastic style. She sounds better, more natural in her native tongue. (Where you don’t get the heavier enunciations or mispronunciations)

The Italian version of Diabolik’s theme

5 Likes

The riffed version from the credits is fun to sing to the cat when he gets on the counter to try and help himself to various meats or fishes. (Or butter. We’ve had two separate cats destroy butter dishes on such quests.)

3 Likes