What Movie or Television Series Do You Not Like and Wish Never Existed

I stopped paying attention after the original three. I mean, to each their own. But I’m not interested in a past’s future where Leia’s a weary divorcee’ with a delinquent son, Luke is a scowling recluse, blah blah blah. For me, it all stopped in 1983 and I’m good with that.

4 Likes

:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Never ever EVER will I understand the cross-generational popularity of the show represented above.

Last Sunday, Family Guy (which has a huge cross-generational HATRED, apparently) did a joke about “Martha Stewart’s Chokiest Scones” and that ONE JOKE was funnier than every episode combined of the show represented above.

1,000 people could give me 1,000 reasons each in support of the show represented above and I would be like:

no no no no no

7 Likes

My first thought was Downton Abbey, but on further consideration, the one show (and it’s spawn) I REALLY would wish into the cornfield is Law and Order.

The fetishizing of the the police and prosecutors has done a great deal of harm to our society, IMHO. That ‘anything we do is just dandy if it results in a conviction’ makes me absolutely sick.

Remember when lawyers on TV were defenders who stood in the way of prosecutorial overkill? Sigh.

5 Likes

Never liked either Friends or Family Guy. :man_shrugging:

What do I win?! :wink:

2 Likes

I have had to sit through several episodes for various reasons and I was stone faced the entire time. Not one thing they said or did was funny to me.

3 Likes

Survivor. Led to the massive amount of fake reality TV we have now.

8 Likes

I have the sinking feeling that I’ll learn nothing new or useful from these. Already done the thing where I’m the lone female person in a sea of geeky males. It was not healthy or productive and I’m glad to have left it behind many years ago. :confused:

3 Likes

As for movies I wish never existed… there is one I will curse with my final, expiring heartbeat:

5SecondsApp_658958834.654186

1983 seemed to be a watershed year. I seems that before 1983, (although there are TONS of exceptions) GROWN UPS went to see movies based on things like critical reception. GROWN UPS would try and seek out movies based on something like… I think it was called “Quality.” For the most part, movies that were big hits were often also critically acclaimed.

When I was a kid, the movies that I remember my parents coming home and raving about to family and friends were Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, M+A+S+H, The Godfather (I & II), Murder on the Orient Express… these movies were huge hits that also won Oscars and were studied by cinephiles. Things started to change with the advent of HUGE BLOCKBUSTERS like The Exorcist, Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien and E.T.

But even though they were blockbuster entertainments they were still objectively good, some even GREAT films.

Then along comes a movie like Flashdance. A HUGE hit. It was a horrible movie, and everybody KNEW IT, but people (like my Gen X friends around me) stopped caring about quality. They openly defied critical opinion and lined up in droves to see garbáge like this anyway.

I’m sure it was an unstoppable generational trend that, if it hadn’t been Flashdance, it would have been just some other crappy movie. But I date the end of the golden era of movies to the day Flashdance was spewn all over the movie screens of the world.

2 Likes

Didn’t that start with MTV’s The Real World?

4 Likes

:smiley: Still haven’t watched it. Already served my time waiting tables 6 days a week when its damn soundtrack was inescapable. I believe there’s an applicable adage here that no one needs to stick her whole hand in a fire to know that fire burns and that being burned is painful.

If we’re talking all things Gen-X, I’ll just say that I reject John Hughes, the entire Brat Pack, and all their works*. :stuck_out_tongue: Just fakey, unfunny, condescending drivel with thoroughly unlikable “heroes.”

*( Planes, Trains, & Automobiles is all right, though. If you ignore the soundtrack which was already dated about half an hour after the film was released.) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Full disclosure - I OWN the Bluray of Flashdance - as a part of my collection of awful movies. It has great camp value - for its terrible acting and ABSURD premise.

(And it was only $4.99).

3 Likes

I don’t wish these shows never existed, but I am baffled about the appeal:

Twin Peaks and Babylon 5.

I’ve tried watching both multiple times and I just don’t get it. Maybe I’m too stupid for those shows.

3 Likes

The Bachelor.

3 Likes

You just described Lynch movies not produced by Mel Brooks or G rated Disney movies. Lynch is an acquired taste not known for being linear.

I feel this way about Wes Anderson. He’s just Michael Bay for hipsters.

3 Likes

The Biggest Loser or any other “reality show” that fetishizes unhealthy weight loss, disordered relationships with food and exercise, and any other show that focuses on “if you were prettier, your life would be better.” UGH. There are shows that approach this topic sensitively and respectfully (the new Queer Eye is an example), but the overdone competition / freak show aspect needs to GO.

I’ve known too many people with eating disorders, mental illnesses, and body dysmorphia…I’ve seen what that kind of glamorization can do.

Oh, and Sex in the City. I did not like those people much.

9 Likes

There used to be a blog by a MSTie “of size” who always referred to that first one as The Biggest Dickweed. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s what I liked so much about What Not to Wear. They approached the “makeover” from the point of view that the person is already beautiful and they’re going to help them see it in themselves. It still focuses on appearances as any makeover show must, but with the attitude that everyone looks good as themselves.

4 Likes

please delete reply

4 Likes

Bob’s Burgers.

I tried watching most of the first season and I just could not enjoy it. The family didn’t seem they were very supporting to the dad. And the health inspector was the worst.

3 Likes