What Movie or Television Series Do You Wish Exists

What Movie or Television Series Do You Wish Exists? Known? Unknown? Suggested? Unsuggested? What never materialized and you wished it had?

Star Trek: Phase II. In no way would there be reason to expect the same as ST:TMP, but based on the available history it seems some of the aesthetic would have been the same. Given the era I think the best case for the continuing kill-god-on-planet-of-the-week adventures of the crew would have been something like the better episodes of Space: 1999 with the writing quality of The Animated Series. Worst case, The Starlost shot on better cameras.

4 Likes

Among my top missed opportunities also.

Riding the coattails of The Terminator, there was a pilot in 1986 called Annihilator that failed to get picked up. It can be found around the interwebs. It follows a reporter who discovers murdering androids who are following some sort of global plot. It has some decent set pieces and a bit of a Kolchak/proto-X-Files vibe. It reveals a few scraps of information (such as someone in the writers’ room decided it would be cool to call the androids “dynamitards”), but mostly ends on a complete cliffhanger. There’s enough potential for conspiratorial complexity there that it would have been interesting to see how it played out.

1 Like

Gene Roddenberry’s Spectre starring Robert Culp and Gig Young. Robert Culp plays William Sebastian, an occult investigator who battles the forces of evil. The TV movie/pilot is great. The series would have been ahead of its time. I would have watched every episode and probably have them on Blu-ray.

1 Like

A series based on Roger Zelazny’s Amber stories.

I don’t think there’s any other property… and a well-known and well-liked one too… that lends itself so perfectly to the TV/streaming format. The writers could freestyle all they want while still coming back to the canon story at any time.

5 Likes

This is a bit of a controversial answer, But Heil Honey I’m Home… It’d also be cool to see where some superhero movies were going… (like TASM, the cancelled Thor and Daredevil shows which had Incredible Hulk movies as pilots…Maybe even the Dr. Strange tv show)

The really obscure Hannah Montana and Halloween anime’s that where only mentioned in a single magazine before never being heard from again.

If we’re including alternate cuts/ orginal plans for that became drastically different… then Maybe the version of Steel that actually includes The Death of Superman. There’s also the supposed R rated cut of Indiana Jones that’d be kinda cool to see…

Tucker and Dale 2 would also be cool to see

3 Likes

I gotta tell you, I am curious as to how that L.A. Confidential TV series would have been, especially with either Kiefer Sutherland or Walton Goggins in the starring role as Jack Vincennes.

2 Likes

Going back to Roddenberry, I would have liked to have seen a Questor Tapes series. Roddenberry sure had a problem with not getting past the pilot TV movie stage.

3 Likes

Oh man! Seconded in a big way.

I love Starlost (I have it on DVD) but man those effects… Yikes!

3 Likes

Technically it already exists, but I would’ve loved to see Firefly continue rather than being canceled after one season.

3 Likes

As for movies? I would have loved to have seen what George Miller would have cooked up for Justice League: Mortal. Granted, not at the expense of Mad Max: Fury Road, because I would have gladly sacrificed any other movie on Miller’s plate for the transcendent perfection that was Fury Road.

But yeah, it would have been neat to see more films from Miller, because Miller represents that most frustrating of dualities: an outstanding next-level cinematic talent and an unfortunately slender filmography.

2 Likes

Season 6 (and more) of Stargate Atlantis. (sigh)

5 Likes

The never-made Roddenberry series that interests me is “Assignment: Earth.” The Star Trek: TOS episode of the same title was supposed to be a backdoor pilot, but it never panned out. It was a very cool concept, I think. Would have fit right in with the “Man from U.N.C.L.E.” and “The Avengers” esthetic of that era.

Would also like to see Jeff Smith’s “Bone” turned into something, preferably a limited streaming series. Traditional animation, and faithful to the comic. Brad Bird sould showrun it.

4 Likes

A movie or prestige-drama of The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson (with the domestic violence removed).

1 Like

MGM and EON Productions proceeding on a Jinx spy series starring Halle Berry and Michael Madsen. During production of Die Another Day (2002), discussion deepened on developing a spinoff film franchise featuring Halle as the title character. For whatever reason, MGM passed on the prospect then years later lamented publicly they lacked enough properties to sell to the public. “Kids…”

I mentioned it before, but Jane Smiley’s Moo would be a great cable/satellite miniseries. So long as it was handled sensitively and the underlying tragic elements were always bubbling beneath the comedy. (Smiley got a lot of clout for A Thousand Acres, which honestly I found a huge slog, though adequately written. Moo is hands-down the better book.)

I don’t really get invested in either Wars or Trek debates because I thought both became chronically overexposed eons ago. I’m tired of them sucking all the air out of the room. If someone wanted to pick a section of C.J. Cherryh’s Downbelow-verse to film… that has potential. I’d probably go with 40,000 in Gehenna as it’s a big fave of mine. (Somehow they’d have to have the guts to not cast Dua Lipa as McGee and then insult us by insisting she’s an unattractive nerd. I know, I know… I’ve never been a realist so why start now? :smiley: )

1 Like

The original version of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. I want my Darth Darth Binks dammit!

The Tremors TV series could have been lots of fun. Kevin Bacon was going to be in it.

I know there’s more I’m forgetting.

1 Like

Star Fox series or movie would be nice.

3 Likes

There are lots out there, but a few interesting ones off the top of my head…

In the mid 60’s, Terry Nation wanted to shoot a Dalek spin-off series in America called “The Destroyers” which would have included Sarah Kingdom and several other Space Security Agents battling the Daleks and their allies under somewhat similar circumstances to the events of The Daleks Masterplan.
While the pilot script exists, the under-performance of the two Amicus Dalek movies in the U.S. meant that Terry had a hard time selling his idea abroad, and the entire idea was eventually scrapped. You can see an example of what it might have looked like below (there’s also a Big Finish audio play edition).

Shortly before Wes Craven died, he was working on two TV series for SyFy. An adaptation of Daryl Gregory’s We Are All Completely Fine, which is an awesome book (basically, a support group of “soul survivors” from various horror tropes) and a remake of The People Under The Stairs, but as a period piece set in the 1920’s. Basically, it was going to be Downton Abbey or Upstairs/Downstairs… with cannibal incest.

And in terms of movies, before Hammer studios went under in the 70’s, they had several movies on the table, one of which was an adaptation of John Blackburn’s novel, A Scent of New-Mown Hay, Which would have made for a very interesting James Bond meets Quatermass X-Periment-style film, since it starts out as a slow burn spy novel (Russia suddenly goes dark, cuts off all external communications, and pulls back all their diplomats, and the rest of the world is trying to figure out what the hell is going on and whether WW III is about to break out), then turns into The Last of Us body horror mixed with a little bit of Last Man on Earth/I Am Legend, where it’s slowly revealed that Russia tried testing a new biological weapon out on a remote fishing village which turns people into walking fungal horrors. Then they completely failed to contain it (with flamethrowers) and by the time anyone figure’s out what’s going on, it’s spread across half of Western Europe, eventually reaching England, where your typical action scientist races against the clock and shambling monstrosities to try to find a cure.

Then there was Kali, Devil Bride of Dracula or Dracula and the Blood Lust of Kali, which would have been another Peter Cushing Dracula movie (presumably minus Christopher Lee) set in India in a prequel to the original Dracula movie, detailing their first meeting. Also thuggee cult vampires.

Prior to Dracula A.D. 1972, There was also talk of a potential Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee Dracula movie set during WWII, that would have involved Van Helsing having to stop vampires, and Nazis, and vampire Nazis, which sounded fantastic, though I don’t think it ever got past the initial kicking-the-ball-around stage.

Then there was also Nessie, which was going to be a team-up between Hammer and Toho studios to release a giant monster movie riding on the success of Godzilla. It probably would have been horrible, but it would have been interesting to see how they handled it. Probably not any worse than Gorgo.

And finally, Zeppelin V Pterodactyls. Which I don’t think anybody ever took seriously, they just created a movie poster and tried to shop it around, but c’mon guys. Zeppelin. Versus. Pterodactyls. It’s like a made-for-SyFy Channel movie 50 years before that was even a thing.

4 Likes