What movies after 2010 are most riffable?

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but House of Gucci. The bad accents alone are asking to be riffed.

3 Likes

“Scarlet Marlowe!” (repeat it rapidly 4-5 times like Crow’s famous “Bart Fargo!”)

1 Like

Apparently so.

How about this…

1 Like

For your consideration:

I mean this thing checks all the boxes!

Using inexplicable wealth to make your own movie? :ballot_box_with_check:

Producer / Director / Writer / Star who insists that her movie is “really good” and “a lot of fun” despite all evidence to the contrary? :ballot_box_with_check:

A movie with a great backstory, i.e. making your vanity production while your husband is serving as Secretary of the Treasury for the Donald Trump administration? :ballot_box_with_check:

4 Likes

Michael Flatley’s Blackbird is sure shaping up to qualify. Comparisons to Garth Marenghi have been made.

2 Likes

So far films have been riffed from every decade from 1940-2010s except the 2000s. For season 14 I would love to see that gap filled.

1 Like

I get that it’s generally best to at least wait until a trailer, but between the knockoff Harry Potter aesthetic and Roland Emmerich’s recent track record…

1 Like

I wasn’t a huge fan of Pacific Rim: Uprising. That being said, I’m not sure if it would make as strong a case as Atlantic Rim did, but it’s pretty darn close.

In terms of other blockbuster stuff, Valerian, Ghost in the Shell and Passengers had their fair share of downsides and might do well to receive riffing.

DC’s output under Zach Snyder didn’t really do them any favors, and Rifftrax has already covered usual suspects Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman 1984. But I wouldn’t mind Suicide Squad (2016) or the Whedon Justice League getting a once-over.

And I realize this isn’t technically an MCU film, but I can’t remember anything about Dark Phoenix…it was a very unnecessary, depressing send-off to the second Fox series that should have ended in its previous installment. (I haven’t seen New Mutants yet, so can’t comment on that).

As for “serious” movies from the past decade…this may be an unpopular opinion, but The Social Network, even though I enjoyed it and it’s well-made. There’s a wealth of social media riff material that can be added with the benefit or hindsight. Honorable mentions: Don’t Worry Darling, Point Break (2015), Jacob’s Ladder (2019) and Flatliners (2017). Yes, I know I devolved into pointless remakes but they still count as well! And I’m not sure if Funny People is technically a 2010s movie, but it has NOT aged well.

(Also, do reconstructions like New York Ninja and Wicked World count? I know the former is self-parody and a ton of fun but it could be prime riffing material, just as Miami Connection was.)

1 Like

That movie was just criminally and mind numbingly dull. They telegraphed all their twists and sucked any and all suspense right out of it. Riffing it would at least help to make it watchable.

2 Likes

Pretty much anything in the DEADLY series of TV movies. Deadly Mile High Club, Deadly Garage Sale, Deadly Runway… pretty much anything directed by Doug Campbell for out of touch, horny 70 year olds.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Transformers: The Last Knight riffed.

That entire film is the equivalent of a guy going into a job he hates, and giving as few ****s as possible just so he can get paid.

1 Like

Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

1 Like

Yeah, even though I do like the Transformers movies as a whole, this one was a bit of a stinker and definitely is worth the MST3K treatment.

1 Like

3 Likes

The title alone makes this have some immediate possibilities.

3 Likes

I don’t know what drugs were used by the director and writers on this one. It’s filmed like it’s some sort of parody, but they forgot the punchlines. I’m sure our crews can provide them.

3 Likes

Consider what a dud this was, definitely a candidate. However, I can’t believe this came out 5 years ago. Seems like it was just a year or two ago in my mind.

3 Likes

Every. Single. Hallmark. Movie.

1 Like

Really that means they just have to do one since they are all the same.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s technically a Hallmark movie but part of the same bizarre holiday industrial complex; the 12 Pups of Christmas. There’s a great “How Did This Get Made?” about it and it posits a world were people can’t get dogs unless they are gifted to them and they react like they just adopted a human child.

3 Likes