What movies have you rewatched the most?

I mean… it was the bicentennial, I -get- why Rocky won that year…

… but Network was freaking ART.

Impeccable. Untouchable.

2 Likes

Different strokes - That’s my least favorite number in the movie.

4 Likes

The 'Burbs, hell yes! I’ve watched this more times than is probably healthy. Never gets old.

But my all-time most-watched has to be Aliens. Also never gets old.

7 Likes

OH FOR REAL :smiley:

I had the good (and inexplicable) fortune to see that at the theater as a wee sprout. Yeah, about half (or more) of the jokes flew clear over my head, but there was something clearly special about it.

It helped that local TV affiliates would always play The 'Burbs and The Lost Boys on weekends. They made those movies weekend events, and that did a lot to make them feel way more awesome, which brings me to another title…

5 Likes

THE GOONIES!!!

God, I watched and rewatched that to the point of memorization. I freaking ADORED that movie.

A local channel would show that on the weekends a lot, and you’d best believe I would jump on that whenever it would come on. I had the novelization of the movie, and it captured my imagination to see all these scenes given new life in text as well as being able to read about scenes and moments that didn’t make it into the final movie.

And I remember that when Anne Ramsey (Mama Fratelli) passed, our local channel had a memoriam at the end that said something to the effect of “Rest in peace, Anne Ramsey, our own Mama Fratelli”.

Anywho, I watched it a lot on TV, and having taped it off TV, I watched it a lot when it wasn’t actually getting broadcast. And when I had a chance to snap up the official VHS tape, I went for that with the quickness, since I knew I was seriously testing the structural integrity of the recorded-off-TV copy.

And then, we had the emergence of DVDs. Now, at the beginning, there was a time when no one knew what the future of DVDs held. No one knew for sure if they were going to be a short-lived fad like LaserDisc or become the next big thing to replace VHS tapes. As such, it was a time when it felt like every movie wasn’t necessarily guaranteed a DVD release.

Anywho, I would call up Suncoast about every month to check on whether they had information on The Goonies coming out. (Bear in mind that this was during the infancy of the Internet as we know it, so it’s not like I had any reputable authorities on the issue.) Yeah, Suncoast got pretty tired of my antics, loooooooooooooooool.

Eventually, it would happen! The Goonies would come out on DVD! Suncoast would not have to deal with my annoying phone calls!

And yeah… I watched the HELL out of that DVD.

5 Likes

The 'Burbs and Aliens have got to be among the most qoutable movies I’ve ever known. My brother was at a BBQ last year, and it got dark, and the host asked if he’d come outside to help with something, and he replied, “Out there? With those things running around? You can count me out!”

So proud of him.

And The 'Burbs … just thinking about those distant crows cawing as Bruce Dern drops his plate of brownies brings a smile to my face. I picked up Shout’s Blu-ray remaster last year and it’s spectacular.

6 Likes

A big part of Aliens being so rewatchable is that quotability. That movie is MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD quotable.

As someone who was all about retro gaming, there was a lot of mileage to be had out of “GAME OVER, MAN, GAME OVER!”

And being an acute arachnophobe, I can tell you that appearances of spiders would herald utterances of “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :smiley:

I’ve gotten so much mileage out of “Once THEY… get in HERE…” [points to head] “… it’s over, pal!”

Also, “You keep a horse in the basement?!” is a gem when one has the opportunity to use it.

6 Likes

I haven’t rewatched it into dust yet, but I could easily see Everything Everywhere All at Once snapping up mad rewatches in the future.

Mad Max: Fury Road is getting up there, too.

5 Likes

5th Element
Independence Day (ID4)
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
2010 The Year We make Contact
Die Hard & Die hard2
Mad Max 2

There’s others but not as often as these.

5 Likes

I usually re-watch Wings of Desire at least once a year. I also go back through the Coen Brothers films quite often. Particularly Millers Crossing.

5 Likes

I’m almost too intimidated to post, but I figure there have to be others who reach for comedies or adventure movies like me.

Stalag 17
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Just about anything by Mel Brooks
Clue
I spent one summer rewatching One Crazy Summer daily…
Also 12 Angry Men

8 Likes

Oh, p’shaw, no worries there! I always find it interesting and fantastic to see where other folks come from in terms of what they enjoy by way of movies.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS :smiley:

Perfect every dang time.

5 Likes

Oh, you know, the usual

Holy Grail & Life of Brian
Army of Darkness (more) & Evil Dead II (somewhat less)
The Blues Brothers
Cannibal: The Musical
The Princess Bride
The Naked Gun series (if this is on TV I will watch it every time)
The Last Unicorn
The Muppet Movie, Muppet Treasure Island

You may be able to tell that I find comedies most rewatchable. Drama, not so much.

8 Likes

The Muppet Christmas Carol a whooooole bunch of times here.

7 Likes

Ack! How could I forget Python?! The Grail is on a whole other level. It’s not so much that I’ve watched it a lot, but that I’ve never really stopped watching it. It’s just sort of ever-present. I’m theoretically watching it now, just need to resume from wherever I left off last.

7 Likes

Oh, you want Christmas movies …

Muppet Christmas Carol, definitely
The Santa Clause
White Christmas
The Polar Express is reserved for Christmas Eve

4 Likes

While not actual out-and-out movies, I’ve given a lot of spins to A Charlie Brown Christmas and The Snowman. Oh, and the OG How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas, and Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol, too.

On the movie side? It’s a Wonderful Life. Lots of views here. The Lemon Drop Kid gets some serious holiday viewing, too.

Oh, and how could I forget -the- marathon viewing Christmas movie, A Christmas Story!

3 Likes

Probably typical stuff for someone my age, mostly light action/comedy stuff.

The Goonies
Indiana Jones
The original Star Wars movies
The Back to the Future series
Mel Brooks
Flash Gordon
Clue
Tango and Cash
Ghostbusters
Labyrinth
Jurassic Park
The Shadow

And that’s not counting special annual Halloween and Xmas viewing.

6 Likes

I didn’t think of that one. I’ve definitely seen it enough times to quote most of the movie.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the Holiday Movie Lineup…every year, always in this order:

Elf
One Royal Holiday
The Polar Express
Frosty the Snowman
Love Actually
The Muppets Christmas Carol
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

And every year we also drop one in the bucket we’ve never seen before; last year’s was 8-Bit Christmas.

4 Likes