What Olympic sport would you be good at?

We’re deep in the throes of the Olympics, and in this house of Olympic nerds, we always like to talk about what sports we would’ve liked to try, or could even do now.

In the day: shot put or volleyball. As far as I know, I still hold my old school district’s record for the shot put, and I was a hella good volleyball server.

Wish I wish: swimming. My whole life I’ve been a naturally strong swimmer and I love being in the water. Wonder what woulda happened if I’d pursued it for real. My best stroke is the backstroke for sure.

Even today: archery or shooting. I have great natural aim; commanded my ROTC unit’s shooting team and won a load of medals in those days. And when I went to summer camp, I’d always bring back a little trophy or something for being the best at archery. And hey, no upper age limit on that, eh? :grin:

So what would you medal in?

5 Likes

Is sitting on my butt eating crackers a sport? Because I am awesome at it.

7 Likes

Freestyle TV watching.

8 Likes

The one with the waffles…there is one with waffles, right? Synchronized waffle eating or something?

10 Likes

9 Likes

I could compete in the 400m hurdles…

if the ‘m’ meant minutes instead of meters.

7 Likes

6 Likes

7 Likes

I notice a lot of events include someone who yells commands at the athletes while they perform. I could do that.

6 Likes

I absolutely LOVE that you people are giving smart*** answers. I’m dying over here. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am totally down for the “Waffle Eating” and “Athlete Shouting” events!

5 Likes

Ok, double down it is. Hear me out:

Full Contact Origami.

4 Likes

I’m still wrapping my head around competitive trampoline. :astonished:

I’m a fair shot and the shooting/archery events have always been of interest.

I sink while wearing a life vest, so anything swimming is out.

Is there a category for competitive book reading?

3 Likes

My 43-year-old knees hurt from the mere thought of attempting that.

1 Like

Knitting used to be an Olympic event (Allegedly).

I still wouldn’t be good at it, but it’s probably as close as I would be able to get,

2 Likes

All I can think is one wrong landing and their ankles are shattered. They do get some impressive height though!

1 Like

Hmmmm.

Mostly winter Olympic sports?

Bobsled (if my short legs wouldn’t cause trouble getting into the sled on launch?) looks like it would fit in with my SCCA Autocross addiction? (I miss watching the BoDyne Bobsled Challenge? Race car drivers flying down a bobsled track… )

Biathlon… grade school camping trip near the Canada border (we joked that they were going to have us invade and take all the maple syrup…) … was handed an air rifle and told to try and hit the target? Drilled every shot dead center? The class bullies all seemed to give me more space for the rest of the trip after that? I was never the fastest cross country skier but would probably gain time by not missing targets?

Snowboard cross reminds me of skiing at MN and Wisconsin ski slopes that were more ice rinks than snow covered? I could see myself doing decent in that? Probably not a medal, but decent?

1 Like

Is procrastination in the Olympics yet? I’d own that competition.

If I can get around to it. Meh.

4 Likes

Freestyle Riffing.

2 Likes

I would definitely medal in procrastinating

2 Likes

I’ll go with curling. Just need to learn how to skate.

2 Likes