What Other MST3K Shows Should Be Remade?

As some of you know, Rifftrax has been revisiting previous experiments, the latest being Zombie Nightmare. That’s interesting because the “missing scene” in the original show will be restored. It’s when Jimbo gets killed by Tony the Zombie. It’s also “restored” Angel’s Revenge and Jack Frost with previously cut scenes.

That being said, should MST3K take a second look at really old experiments? Technically, it will when Su-Maru is scheduled (also riffed by Rifftrax).

I’ll suggest a couple…

how about one from the KTMA years, like Last Chase with Lee Majors being chased by Burgess Meredith in a world with a severe oil shortage. Hangar 18 would also be a good choice

And from season one…Robot Monster, Slime People or Robot vs. Aztec Mummy (which means another Mean Jonah bit)

Just bringing it up because Rifftrax has done it

4 Likes

Hopefully this ‘backwards’ answer isn’t too impertinent (it is pretty relevant though :thinking:) -I’d like to see MST3K riff Rock ‘N’ Roll Nightmare.

3 Likes

I would agree with that only because of the final act. It would really puzzle everyone, even the “bad guys”

2 Likes

On one hand, I’m reluctant to have them revisiting previous movies instead of riffing on new material.

On the other hand, what if a fully-game writing team actually tried against The Castle of Fu Manchu?

4 Likes

no

6 Likes

I’ve always thought they should do a full riff of The Green Slime, the movie Joel used for his demo. Not sure what the rights situation would be on that.

Wouldn’t mind seeing them redo some of the KTMA episodes. But I wouldn’t want them to remake any of the eps from season 1 or later.

4 Likes

@David_Mello
There could be cutback shots to the Mads standing stunned, mouths agape as the insanity of the finale rolls on…and a skit where Crow (framed in the same shot as the Beelzebub puppet, with his spindly arms flailing in the same manner as the Beelzebub puppet in the movie scene) throwing demonic ninja stars at a bare-chested, hair-band-haired ‘Tom Inter-servo-cessor’.

2 Likes

I am still surprised it hasn’t jumped on Green Slime. Is it a rights thing?

2 Likes

A re-do of all of the un-redone KTMA episodes would be awesome! City on Fire and Phase IV are gold mines! I actually enjoy those movies just as (bad) movies.

3 Likes

Generally, I would say “no” … except SST Death Flight would be amazing — the riffing opportunities with not only all those B-list TV stars, but the early appearances of stars who have gone on to earn fame since.

3 Likes

I actually started a poll on this very topic. :slight_smile:

https://forums.mst3k.com/t/new-riffs-of-old-episodes/6991?u=interestingwerewolf

4 Likes

Sorry about that. I tried to figure out if this was done. It’s hard to come up with new topics sometimes

1 Like

Don’t apologize at all!!! I only sent that your way so you could get a sense of some the responses on this. :slight_smile:

I think it’s awesome you posted this- great minds think alike. :wink:

And to your point, I’d LOVE to see Robot Monster (in 3d!) And Robot vs. Aztec Mummy revisited.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a few gems in the ktma season, which have been mentioned already. Even if they don’t do them as new episodes, I really hope someone somewhere can find the original masters ala the two lost episodes. My “tape” of city on fire really doesn’t like the scenes with fire in them, for example, which is not ideal.

1 Like

I like the RiffTrax versions, but Prisoners of the Lost Planet and Invaders from Mars scream MST3k to me….and I would chew vinegar-flavored gummi worms to see them do Double Dragon.

2 Likes

@Longmile149
Maybe if you just went ahead and tried chewing vinegar flavored gummi worms on your own, it could cause MST3K to riff Double Dragon through some mysterious invisible causality…just sayin’ :worm:

5 Likes

Since the KTMA episodes weren’t scripted, I think they’re all fair game to be reriffed. Everything else should be left alone IMO.

5 Likes

Revisiting Zombie Nightmare doesn’t really appeal to me as even restoring all of the death scenes doesn’t add much to the movie. Susie’s death was still shown off-screen, Bob’s is only a few seconds longer and shows a bit of blood splatter when his head gets thrown into a car, Amy’s has an extra shot with blood splatter of her sliding down the door after her head gets smashed and Jim’s gets intercut with a bunch of reaction shots from the voodoo lady. All totaled up it adds maybe 2 minutes at most and it would be a surprise if they keep all of Jim’s scene intact as he is trying to rape the waitress at knifepoint.

2 Likes

A reverse of Roddy McDowall in Laserblast then.

John de Lancie’s butthead salesguy “Bob” makes a low, determined growl: “Just hang in there, Johnny Boy. Breaking Bad’s only about 40 years away.” [sad sigh] “I’ll never make it.”

3 Likes