What riffed movie deserves a remake?

Which movie riffed by the SOL crew do you think has the potential for being a really good big-budget remake?

I humbly submit that by improving some story elements Time Chasers could be remade into an interesting film.

14 Likes

I said once before that The Final Sacrifice mostly suffered from a non-existent budget. I think the story could be quite successful.

On Club MST3K, I once made the argument that with a few tweaks (and a budget), Being from Another Planet would be quite good. The biggest issue is that the director couldn’t decide what the alien was going to be and with just a couple of modifications, it could easily become a well-done movie.

11 Likes

I don’t know about a bigger budget, but with some significant narrative retooling, I think The Incredible Melting Man could be turned into something legitimately frightening and suspenseful.

7 Likes

I’ll submit Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. I’ve said before it feels like an ahead-of-its-time Matrix; they just didn’t have the budget to realize their vision.

Also Terror from the Year 5000 – messing around with a time machine and bringing something scary back from the future is a terrific premise.

11 Likes

I’m not against the premise of Quest of the Delta Knights.

I am very against the execution of Quest of the Delta Knights.

5 Likes

I’d let Christopher Nolan have a bash at Robot Monster.

Though if I can be serious for a sec, I’d actually like to see a big budget run at a Stingray film, so Invaders from the Deep.

6 Likes

Stingray (1964) in Supermarionation, or Stingray (1985) in a General Motors vehicle (both figuratively and literally)?

What? It never hurts to double-check… :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think there’s scope for a very good claustrophobic horror film in The Crawling Eye, especially in the hands of someone like John Carpenter.

Ha, I was going to suggest this one as well, only done in the style of Shin Godzilla.

9 Likes

Liam Neeson is… Mitchell!

25 Likes

He would have a special set of skills.

5 Likes

“If you buzz off, kid, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”

7 Likes

I would like to see a remake of Tormented. It could be really creepy in the right hands, especially if you made it more about whether or not it’s really all in Tom’s head.

5 Likes

I think ‘Kitten with a Whip’ could be remade now and do well (though I think the title would have to be changed for modern viewers :grimacing:)

2 Likes

I would love to see Tim Burton’s take on this!

1 Like

Psychological thrillers are way better.

1 Like

If we are strictly going big budget…

I think OG Wizards of the Lost Kingdom. It’s clear the production value was terrible, but they accomplished a lot with it as compared to say… The sequel.

I think Manos would be fantastic if remade as a mockumentary by Christopher Guest.

I’d also like to see what Taika Waititi could do if he got his hands on literally any of the monster movies.

4 Likes

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

4 Likes

A Manos Remake with Nick Cage as Torgo…

Edit: Actually After thinking about it some more, I think Bill Moseley as Torgo and Nick Cage as either the Master or Mike (As in the husband, not Mike Nelson…) would be better…

6 Likes

I wonder if a high budget Attack of The Killer Shrews would be riffable.

2 Likes

I was briefly toying with the idea of writing a version of The Wild World of Batwoman that was a serious and tragic take from the scientist’s POV, the one who spends the movie as an oaf? I’d love to make a deep and heavy film with drama and big ideas, and at the end recommend that viewers visit the source material, just for the “what in the—“ moment.

1 Like