What riffs do YOU still not get?

In “Circus On Ice” - beginning at about 5:40, there is this exchange. What does Joel’s remark at the end mean, or is it just a bit of nonsense? ~~~

Narrator: Individual artistry is blended into brilliant choreography …
Crow: … on Broadway, but not here.
Narrator: … _____ etches its delicate patterns on the glassy stage, to interpret a moonlight concerto – on ice.
Joel: … with a filbert nut.

2 Likes

Not being Joel, I can only guess that it means that the final shape of the girls and lights make the shape of a filbert nut perhaps?

1 Like

A filbert nut is a hazlenut. Something had to etch patterns into the ice and the skater got a demotion to less sharp skating? And filbert is a funny word. I think the feeling is the skater is pretentious but this is a small town show.

But I’m no authority on filberts or skating. Filbert is what we named our guest turtle last winter before we turned him loose to the beaver pond across the highway.

Edit: I was totally off and your margarita garnish theory seems right to me too on account of the blurry spotlight.

3 Likes

You are too modest!!

3 Likes

One more possibility occurred to me. I went to the Googles and found an Instagram post which confirms my suspicion that Joel might have been referring to a bar order. Apparently it’s a Minnesota quirk. Margarita on ice with a filbert nut as the garnish.

18 Likes

Given the “on ice” right before he injects the filbert riff, I think you cracked this nut.

12 Likes

Well, that makes about as much sense as anything else. Thanks. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

In King Dinosaur, over a shot of the lizard running, Tom says something like “I’m coming, meaty boy!” I’m pretty sure that’s not the actual line, but it’s as close as I can decipher it. And despite none of us having any idea what it meant, the sheer oddness made it a quite popular thing to shout for my whole family.

1 Like

It’s a reference to “I’m comin’ Beany Boy!” from Beany and Cecil.

11 Likes

I didn’t realise that folks use filbert nut and hazelnut interchangeably, nor that the difference was so slight. I grew up familiar with filbert nuts, and hazelnuts were almost exotic at the time. (As were Brazil nuts, another household favorite.)

Anyway, kudos for the sleuth work on this riff!

5 Likes

I think it’s “I’m comin’ Beany boy!” A line from the old cartoon Beany and Cecil. Cecil is a large sea monster that is very dinosaur in appearance.

5 Likes

Schooled me! I never get to eat either! :cry: :smiley:

2 Likes

They are very nice. Hazelnuts and filberts are probably my favorite nuts, if I have to choose. Almonds and pecans close behind. Brazil nuts are excellent inserted into a dried date first.

2 Likes

This website might help

http://www.annotatedmst.com/

4 Likes

I wonder how many of the ones still thought of as generally obscure are Minnesota-isms.

5 Likes

“She stole Mike’s keyboard!” just struck me as a non-sequitur for years until I learned the story behind it in the ACEG

5 Likes

There are two I don’t get but they’re from Rifftrax rather than MST3K.

1. These two had better find a refrigerator to hide in.

2. He washes his clothes in gasoline. More dangerous than dynamite.

1 Like

They are callbacks to other movies and shorts they did… an Indiana Jones movie where he hid in a fridge (was that Crystal Skull?) and a short “More Dangerous Than Dynamite”

10 Likes

RiffTrax has More Dangerous Than Dynamite on their YouTube channel.

(And yes, the fridge reference is to Crystal Skull.)

6 Likes

Thank you! I figured they were callbacks but there are so many options on the RT site that I didn’t think I would just be able to figure it out.

2 Likes