What system are we using? Is it important?

Since we are in the Beta testing stage of the forums, I would like to pose this question: Do we need to mention what system we are using to view the forums? The reason I ask: would it aid in diagnosing any problems that us or others run into as it grows into what I assume (I know, I know) will be connected to the Gizmoplex?

With mobile technology coming to prominence, what used to be a simple question of Windows or Mac, has escalated to Desktop, Iphone, Android, Roku, etc. etc.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

I definitely feel like a lot of multi-platform problems would avoided if it were built into the GIZMOPLEX because just about everyone using it on mobile would be using the same interface. :+1:

3 Likes

I definitely feel like a lot of multi-platform problems would avoided if it were built into the GIZMOPLEX because just about everyone using it on mobile would be using the same interface.

Jeff Goldblum style “Ahhh Ahhhhh”

Just kidding. The big question is, on what mobile device is it being viewed? With iOS and Android, there can be issues on one platform that won’t occur on another.

As an iOS user, I can attest as to when an update is released on the unsuspecting public, it’s guaranteed at least one app is going to crash and burn, until Apple releases another update that attempts to resolve the issue but adds and deletes other features that affect another app, so Apple has to release another update to fix the new issue…. Yeah. I have a reaaaaal love / hate relationship for iOS.

2 Likes

I avoid Apple. Every time a problem comes up with iOS, the same statement seems to explain everything: Apple loves its customers’ money but hates its customers. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You nailed it on the head. I only tolerate it because my wife is a die hard Apple user.

2 Likes

Happy Wife = Happy Life

(Of course, that does indicate “W = L”, and that would make sports VERY confusing…)

4 Likes

The Discourse forum is just a website, which is O/S agnostic. Are you talking about using an app to visit the forum vs. using a browser?

3 Likes

If it’s integrated into the GIZMOPLEX app, everyone would be using the same interface on mobile (as opposed to all the different versions of all the different browsers on all of the different OS types).

Using the GIZMOPLEX app would mean that (A) nobody could have a problem due to an errant browser setting while (B) having GIZMOPLEX users use their already-installed app.

3 Likes

@ChivalRuss @McCloud I think we’re on the same page. If that’s the plan, it makes sense. I was just curious about the interim until the apps are developed.

Forgive this old man, I started working on computers in the 90s, and for everything I understand about newer tech, there are 10 things I don’t. I knew someone smarter than me would figure out what I was saying. Thanks!

2 Likes

I use my phone (IOS) and my laptop (windows) to access the forums

3 Likes

I’m currently using a PC (windows) to get here, but am fine not using my phone at all since it’s my backup web browser. When the GIZMOPLEX launches its mobile app, I most definitely WILL install it and, if these forums are integrated, I’d start using them on mobile at that time.

One of the engineering courses I teach to my middle schoolers is basic app design, so I have lots of weird and unique (as in I’m the only one on Earth that has them) apps on my phone as it is, so I prefer not to install apps that I won’t actively use.

4 Likes