What the?? A thread for things that confuse you.

What confuses you these days?

My daughter, who sits in the very back of the bus, told me that she has to press a button when the bus gets to school. The bus driver nods and she presses the button. She doesn’t know what the button is for. I don’t know what the button is for. I never had or heard of anyone having to press a button on the bus when I was in school.

What is the button for?!

12 Likes

That’s what you get for naming your daughter TV’s Frank.

14 Likes

One question I have is, do other students have to push the button, or is it just your daughter? If she doesn’t press it, does another kid have to? Does she know what happens on days she misses the bus?

5 Likes

This sounds like a story from a horror anthology. I’m not sure you want to know.

5 Likes

It’s at her seat. When she’s absent, the kid from the seat across from her presses it. It’s the only button on the bus, at least the only one the bus driver doesn’t push.

4 Likes

I’m willing to bet it is indicate that the back of the bus is clearing out or something like that. Otherwise, I’m with @Raymond, you might not want to know. Has your daughter been showing signs of a sudden leap forward in intellect? Does she speak in a monotone? Does she use strange vocabulary, like calling you her “parental unit?”

Oh wait, all of those apply to my daughter! Eek!

8 Likes

Thank your daughter for keeping the island safe.

8 Likes

I hear you just need to put a rock in a hole and the island will be fine.

2 Likes

Now I’m confused. Does the bus have assigned seats? :thinking:

The only thing I can think is they want confirmation that the kids in the back realize the bus has arrived, but this seems like a terrible way to determine that.

2 Likes

Yes, she has an assigned seat. And she pushes the button after the bus has already parked, so it can’t be that.

Something called a child check button, maybe?

6 Likes

I’m almost as confused by assigned bus seating as I am by mystery buttons.

Do the other kids stare blankly forward for the whole ride, and then suddenly come to when she pushes the button? Because THAT would be a really useful school bus feature.

5 Likes

Ah, so the driver is supposed to check for kids and push it but she’s being lazy and making my daughter do it instead. That makes sense. I think you might have figured it out.

8 Likes

If that’s what it is I expect this bus driver’s gonna be in TROUBLE if the boss finds out they’re outsourcing the button-pushing to one of the students.

7 Likes

Awesome. It sounds like another of those non-solutions that has practical applicability one out of ten thousand times. And it’s achieved by turning a human being ever so slightly more into an automaton. You know this was dreamed up by middle-management types who would never countenance such a thing for themselves.

4 Likes

I don’t want to get anyone in trouble, but I’m kind of worried about this bus driver now. She already punished my daughter for saying something “inappropriate” without telling her what she said that was so inappropriate. Now this.

6 Likes

Well, I sent an email to the head of transportation at the school corporation. My daughter told me when she got home from school that the bus driver gets mad at her if she doesn’t press the button. This is ludicrous.

9 Likes

I’m saving what confuses me for my novel. Which will be thicker than a big-city phone directory… if anyone remembers those.

5 Likes

Ugh, what a mess, apparently easily fixable if the driver would just do her duty and walk the bus to confirm it’s empty at the end of the run. Districts are scrambling to have enough drivers, so I’d hesitate to make the situation worse, but this is pretty basic safety stuff. If the driver can’t be bothered to make that walk and press the button, it raises questions about her trustworthiness to take seriously her responsibility as a bus driver.

6 Likes

Alright. This is what you get for getting information from Quora. The answer is, if she fails to press the button, another bus somewhere drives over an unsignaled train crossing and the kids all die. The bus driver is farming out this responsibility to your child, probably because either she is colorblind and doesn’t know which button to push or she has made a bargain with Satan. Red button pushing on all school buses was required in a secret codicil of the law signed by Jimmy Carter creating the United States Department of Education as part of the “Schoolhouse Rock I’m Just a Bill Act.” No one knows why.

6 Likes