What was the most important thing about 1301 for you?

It could be some filmmaking approach or a design element, maybe the way things played out in the theater, or perhaps something more philosophical than tangible, but what was the most important aspect of this new episode for you?

For me, aside from the larger idea of MST3K coming back and being an independent production, I love how we got the number of host segments back to how things once were in Seasons 1 through 11 (as opposed to how the Season 12 episodes each had one fewer host segment).

What say you?

8 Likes

Weirdly enough, the pacing. I thought the pacing of the riffs were better on this episode than they were of any Jonah episode before this. Not that any of the other previous Jonah episodes weren’t great (they were) but it just felt more…natural and ms3tk-like. Loving it. Hope it continues for the reason of the season!

14 Likes

A minor critique, but it seems the team righting the riffs didn’t know much about wrestling in general or Lucha Libre in particular.

1 Like

Not to take anything away from the Netflix era, but yeah, I rather enjoyed the more leisurely pacing here.

I think it helped them to be more clever in the writing room and demonstrated more of a confidence in what they were doing.

11 Likes

Most important? That we got a S13 at all? That S13 is going to include such an amazing cast and crew. That we all get to share some of these amazing moments together live.

10 Likes

A combo of the relaxed riff pacing and that they picked a good one. I was worried that it would be a bit on the dull side, but it was quite a confusing mess in spots.

6 Likes

Two words:

WHITE. DOT.

16 Likes

The theme song, the door sequence and the look in general will take some getting used to, but once everyone was in the theater it was pure magic, and that’s the most important thing.

7 Likes

Seeing Pearl and Synthia as two blondes who could destroy Fox News if they were accidentally hired as anchors.
That, and the intermission Invention Exchange (Foot Beer, eh?)

8 Likes

For me, in many ways, it feels like a return to those very first seasons — super lo-fi, with a strong emphasis on creative solutions with limited resources.

15 Likes

It’s back!! That’s enough for me right now.

Also, El Santo’s sidekick makes even Cornjob and Troy feel secondhand embarrassment.

13 Likes

honestly… the return of Jonah, Hampton, and Baron… It kind of looked like the show was moving on without them for a bit and I was bummed. I really love their chemistry and want Jonah to get a comparable number of experiments to what joel and mike had. I also think Hampton has become my favorite crow.

second to that it was great that the riffing pace got dialed in so perfectly.

12 Likes

This.

6 Likes

I liked how they went back to three host segments during the movie, as opposed to S12’s two. Though I do wish they would bring back the “commercial bumpers” with “fun facts” narrated by Max.

11 Likes

They paced it better. Previous Jonah seasons were too frantic. You need to let it breathe, let the blows register. Much better this episode.

4 Likes

I like the comic vibe of the new door sequence. But I thought that the sketch stage background looked too green-screeny. I like the old set. And in the theater the silhouettes looked too small like cambot was way up in the bleachers. I noticed GPC is a bit smaller probably because of limited filming space. Dammit COVID. Anyways I am stoked they are back and I am looking forward to seeing more!!

:v::heart::artificial_satellite::robot::film_projector::new_moon:

3 Likes

Not trying to stir the pot, but i find the netflix seasons amazing and wish nothing had been nudged or altered as far as style & pacing, but this is the show now (1 experiment in) AND THAT IS WHERE I WILL MEET AND ENJOY IT.

:beers:Cheers fwiends :heart_eyes_cat:

9 Likes

The door sequence had a very Archer-esque feel to it. I liked it. Theme song was meh. I’m really interested in how they weave the 3 hosts together through the season.

4 Likes

I loved the Death Bed reference.

8 Likes

I only had the 15$ tier so I’m going to wait until may and get the 10 dollar tickets individually…

But I’m glad to know that it looks so good…

(I’m often very easily influenced by other people’s opinions)

4 Likes