What was the plot of Manos?

Brigadoon?

3 Likes

I just want to know how long that couple was on that road making out.

4 Likes

Which is almost as creepy about male-female relations as Manos. (“My modern-day fiance’ who I’ve presumably known for ages… she has-- IDEAS!! OPINIONS!! Her own mind!! How dare she! I’m fleeing back to the pre-indoor-plumbing era to live forever with some sweet-natured colorless doormat I hardly even know! So there!!”) Yeah. It works.

1 Like

Someone pointed out the dude’s wedding ring. So, perhaps so long that they got married there. I think the car is full of great-grand children now. All still being hassled by the man.

6 Likes

He has one but she doesn’t? At leat not that I could see.

3 Likes

A family gets lost looking for their hotel. They stumble across an evil house where an evil cult lives. The house seems to have appeared out of nowhere, like Brigadoon. Torgo, the groundskeeper, tells them they can’t stay. The wife and daughter also don’t want to stay in the obviously creepy and evil murder house, but Mike, the husband, insists for no apparent reason, and nothing will change his mind.

Eventually Miel realizes this place is creepy, and he agrees to leave. However, the powers of evil are clearly conspiring to keep these people at the house. Evil makes their car refuse to start, and makes it so none of the roads lead away from the house. Evil does not want them to leave under any circumstances. Despite their best efforts, they cannot leave.

Then the master wakes up. He’s pissed that the family is there, which makes you wonder why the powers of evil won’t just let them leave. The master is mad at Torgo for letting them stay, though to be fair he told them they can’t stay. Also, the master is excited that he gets two new wives out of this, which makes you wonder why he’s so pissed that they’re there. Torgo threatens to help the family escape, and the master isn’t happy with that either. FFS, does he want these people there or not?

Anyway, the master kills Torgo by exploding his hand off and not killing him, allowing the wife and daughter to become his new wives. Mike becomes the new Torgo, and the house Brigadoons itself to another couple of ladies who got lost in their car. Is the master going to be mad that Mike let them stay while simultaneously refusing to let them leave? Probably. The end?

5 Likes

Clearly, The Master’s alignment is Chaotic Evil.

6 Likes

You are actively courting disaster if you don’t read the Yelp reviews.

8 Likes

Boy meets girl
Boy loses girl
Master gets girl

5 Likes

No, no, that’s the movie they thought they were making

3 Likes

… no …
Purple Rain No GIF

1 Like

Only Harold Warren knows for sure…

2 Likes

The woman, yes. The girl, no!

7 Likes

What is the plot of Manos?

That is one of those unsolvable mysteries, like the zen riddle of “what is the sound of one hand clapping?”

Manos just is, trying to find meaning in it is impossible.

5 Likes

Nah from what I’ve read about their modus operandi, I feel confident that the Master himself is a major stockholder therein. Heck I bet Yelp created rave reviews of and signs for the non-existent Valley Lodge just to make sure that their CEO The Master would never run out of wives and servants.

4 Likes

That seems like a fair assessment.

4 Likes

I think the real plot was The Master interviewing for a new caretaker. Looking at the place Torgo wasn’t doing much, except taking advantage of the wives. And does he sleep on a pile of dirt? The floors will never be clean!

4 Likes

This interpretation clears up one of the nagging unanswered questions about the film:

Is there a Valley Lodge? The interpretation from most viewers is that Casa de Master and Valley Lodge are one and the same, with the signage being a deliberate trap for unwary visitors. But Torgo isn’t expecting visitors, and his desire to send the family away appears to be genuine. So if the Master was setting everything up with his unspeakable eldritch powers, that would make sense.

All in all, though, I think I prefer the interpretation that the Valley Lodge is just a crappy hotel in the middle of nowhere with really bad advertising, and staff who are confused by the unusually high number of people who don’t show up after reserving rooms.

7 Likes

Cheese maybe

1 Like

If The Master wants to replace Torgo with a new caretaker, not letting Torgo in on it would probably be a good plan.

4 Likes