What was your first computer?

We got into computers early and I would inherit computers from my (much) older brother or father when they got an upgrade.

So my first computer was an Apple ][+

If you look closely at the keyboard, you will notice it only had left and right arrows, not up and down. This made playing games somewhat of a challenge at times, but I learned BASIC and made my own very simple programs.

I later got upgraded to a IIe and then a //c before moving on to PCs for a while, but I’ve moved back and forth over the years between Apple and PC. I’m currently using Apple products.

But back to the nostalgia. The other early computer I had was one my dad bought for my tech-minded grandfather who never really got into it, a Commodore-64.

I loved that computer and used it all the time when I was at my grandparents’ house.

Finally, there was the first computer I bought with my own money. An Amiga 1000 used for $300 including an A590 20 megabyte hard drive. I saved up money from a minimum wage to get it when I was a teenager and I used it to write terrible music.

What was your first computer? What are some of your early computer memories?

12 Likes

Bask in its glory.

External tape drive—optional, yet required—not pictured.

9 Likes

I got a Commodore 64 in 1985 and it put me on the path to becoming a programmer from an early age

7 Likes

I had a friend who had a VIC-20 with a tape drive and we would put the tapes in his stereo and listen to them.

They probably sounded like how you are imagining they sound but we listened to them anyway.

5 Likes

Not on the path to being a time-traveler, you say?

Interesting, but I’ll take your word for it.

5 Likes

He didn’t say he got a Cessna too.

3 Likes

Well I am a time traveller too but only at the speed of one second per second

6 Likes

Also I never went to Castleton

4 Likes

Good. We don’t want any Castleton snobs around here.

2 Likes

It was a PC with a 386 CPU, 5.25" & 3.5" floppy drives, maybe a couple of hundred megs of HDD space… Something like that. My parents bought it in October 1993. Can’t remember how much RAM we started off with, but that always got upgraded.

5 Likes

Mine was a 2006 Macbook Pro, though it technically belonged to either my mom, or my aunt. And the first public computer I used was (I guess) the Macintosh II during my Pre-K to Kindergarten years.

4 Likes

I just aged 10,000 years

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m trying to think of the first computer I used. It may have been an Apple IIGS, or it may have predated that.

Also, my dad worked in IT (actually, that is present tense), so he would always bring home computers and hook them up to the TV so we could play around a bit for the weekend. Also, we had a random old Apple lying around.

6 Likes

Commodore +4

6 Likes

A Tandy 1000 with two 5.25’’ disk drives. We played Space Invaders, King’s Quest, Space Quest and a whole host of other games on it. I also learned a little bit of Basic programming on it.

8 Likes

TRS- 80 Model III without the floppy drives. I had a cassette.

10 Likes

I had a friend in college with one of those, though he’d sprung for the dual floppies. Another friend there had a Model I with three keys missing on the keyboard, and he needed to resolder the edge connectors every few months (‘cuz Tandy built the Model I on the cheap, and didn’t plate the connectors).

The first computer I programmed was this:

Yes, I know it’s a punch card reader, but the IBM System/360 it was connected to isn’t very photogenic. My final project was stored on a deck literally a foot thick; two-thirds of the cards were comments because the instructor was very emphatic about properly commenting your code.

The first computer I owned was a Timex Sinclair 1000.

8 Likes

It was either an Apple IIe (with that sweet black-and-green Matrix monitor!) or a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, which I used to get my Hunt the Wumpus on.

9 Likes

The Macintosh SE/30. All the horse power and none of those fancy color graphics to slow it down.

8 Likes

screenshot_dbe-oldies-but-goodies-games-ii-hammurabi-title-screen

8 Likes