What was your first computer?

Similarly, the clicks of the Apple ][+/IIe floppy drive are really satisfying.

2 Likes

One of the few instances where a clicking noise from your computer can be described as “satisfying.”

3 Likes

Can you imagine the volume of information that has been lost because of that? Far exceeding all the lost silent cinema. Novels, photos, music, all kinds of things that no one will ever see again because they were on floppies or, worse, zip disks.

2 Likes

Yeah, people backed up their files on floppies and thought they were safe forever.

2 Likes

While we’re talking about obsolete media, this isn’t exactly computer-related, but not only did I have a minidisc player/recorder, I used it all the time for audio recording. In terms of voice and ambiance recording in the field, it was a terrific medium.

3 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, I went through a box of Zip disks several years ago and had a surprisingly low failure rate when backing up the old data.

Jaz drives, on the other hand …

4 Likes

I guess it was more the drives that were the problem, not the disks themselves. The drives would eat the disks. A lot of them anyway.

2 Likes

Had a bunch of floppies from 85-90, almost all the data was still valid and recoverable.

3 Likes

I still have a couple of folios full of MDs. I used them to record my band 20+ years ago, because that was the cheapest/quickest way to get ideas recorded, and be able to re-record without having to burn a new CD.

1 Like

And then there was DAT.

4 Likes

I had my own DAT deck and worked with them at the studio I worked at and they are CRAPOLA.

2 Likes

We LOVED our mini disc players! (we had portables as well as a deck that hooked into the rest of the stereo setup) It really was a great medium.

4 Likes

DAT was still being actively used up until not that long ago for mastering…

4 Likes

We used to archive masters on DAT. Which was great until the tape snapped or the machine ate it or it just disintegrated (happened at least 3 times to me).

3 Likes

Speaking of employers still using old hardware, there is a big article on my company’s intranet page about how we are pulling the plug on our mainframe at year end.

According to the article, we are going to be one of the first companies in the financial services industry to do so.

2 Likes

It was. I honestly don’t know why it didn’t catch on.

1 Like

<joke>No PlayStation to get it in people’s houses.</joke>

2 Likes

Yes, but even with the point you made, air travel is still safer than driving. That’s how dangerous driving is.

3 Likes

I’m just referring to the psychological factor that would make people more afraid of flying. People’s usual mental process is to compare an accident with one vehicle to an accident with another.

1 Like

It definitely caught on within journalism. MD was the format of choice for on the spot interviews. I saw them all the time until iPhones eventually eclipsed them. And I reckon that was more a convenience thing rather than better quality.

2 Likes