What was your first computer?

Try telling Bonnidyr that necromancy can be a good thing…

2 Likes
1 Like

First computer was a Trs-80 Color computer, with a cassette storage initially. Was easy to program in basic but remember it took a special cartridge to program in machine language (code). How I wish I’d stuck with it more to learn how to do that.

Did get a floppy disc drive and a speech synthesizer cartridge, remember getting a subscription to an outfit that would send a cassette full of games/programs every month. Was fun to play games on but the contollers weren’t as good as an atari 2600.

6 Likes

Book of logs. Pickett slide rule. Russian handbook of common integration patterns. Pencil and paper.

What is this “computer” you speak of? It seems you use a different definition than I do.

C64.

Also, your mom.

2 Likes

Finally got around to digging out my first…

Built it myself (it came as a kit).

I was going to hook it up, but the output is either Channel 2 or 3, and the tuner on my TV isn’t set up, and I can’t find the remote (I use a separate smart remote, and after I set that up, I probably put the TV remote somewhere so I wouldn’t lose it.)

It worked when I boxed it up, and it passed a smoke test, so it’s probably good.

6 Likes

Worst keyboard of all time.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree, but it wasn’t a problem. I was a 1 fingered typist back then, so I couldn’t have typed any faster with any keyboard.:grin:

3 Likes

Technically it was this, in either a Simon or Big Trak.

3 Likes

Heh… I had a Coleco Quiz Wiz. I guess that was my first computer.

4 Likes

I had this electronic game I tried to explain to my daughter. I can’t remember what it was called, but there were various transparencies with holes in them that you would slide in it (I remember a dart board) and you’d press the button at the bottom and a red light would start randomly flashing in each hole while an electronic sound played until it stopped on one and you got the points of whatever hole that was.

I’m not sure if I explained it well here either. I’d love to know the name of that game.

2 Likes

I guess if we’re expanding “computer” to be things like toys with microchips, then I think this would actually be my first.

6 Likes

I don’t think any of the things we’re talking about right now really count as what we’re talking about, which is home personal computers. Things that can run a wide variety software and that you can write code for.

1 Like

Also this:

4 Likes

Technically I wrote code on the Big Trak keypad, so put that in yr pipe.

5 Likes

That fits the category of ‘robot’ because it can move.

2 Likes

Season 4 No GIF

2 Likes

Yes yes. I will let Mr. Wizard demonstrate.

Robot:

Computer:

4 Likes

Star Trek Smoking GIF

3 Likes

After equipping a few dozen of a customer’s computers, I bought one for myself.

A drive, that is, and it came with, count ‘em, 3 cartridges. More storage than all my floppies, and I had a big box of ‘em. I had back-ups of back-ups.

Then CDs became a thing….

6 Likes

I thought a ZIP drive was the bee’s knees when we got one. 100meg of storage! Decadence!

And then JAZ drives came out! A whole gig! be still my heart!

4 Likes