What will you never, ever watch again?

Oh, wait. I meant 6.

3 Likes

I was about 12 and thereā€™s no way I would have gone to see it then, or wanted to.

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s a different story. I was like-

3 Likes

Ghosts of Mars is top of my list of movies Iā€™ll never watch again.

It was bad, mean bad, not even accidentally funny or interesting just a giant cinematic hole made by people who know better!

3 Likes

Shout out to The Travelling Cat Chronicles

My partner and I saw it at a packed festival screening and were trying to keep down the ugliest of cries. At one point I thought we were going to have to leave for the sake of the other attendeeā€™s comfort, and to try prevent the final shredding of our own dignity.

4 Likes

Another vote here for Grave of the Fireflies. I can actually see the DVD case from where Iā€™m typing this.
It is brilliant - Isiao Takahataā€™s masterpiece by a country mile.
I have seen it twice. Both times, it kicked me so hard in the emotional core, I said ā€œnever againā€.
The second time, I think I learned my lesson.

Oh, and The Deer Hunter. Scenes of utter brilliance, but Cimino should have got off the marching powder and allowed a skilful editor to excise all that padding. And maybe given some of the cast a slap round the head when the hyper-competitive ā€œIā€™M METHOD-ACTING LOUDER AND MORE OBVIOUSLY THAN YOU!ā€ nonsense started to swamp the actual story.

5 Likes

Ha, I loved Meet the Feebles. I have it on tape, probably watched it six times. Not so much anymore ā€“ now that half of our culture is just shock value, itā€™s no longer interesting. But twenty years ago I HOWLED at that movie.

4 Likes

ā€œThe Three Stoogesā€ (2012)

3 Likes

Honestly, the only wholesome part about Meet the Feebles was Robert the Hedgehog. Heā€™s such a sweetheart.

3 Likes

My dad took me to see Aliens in the theater when I was 9. He was a film professor and not a good judge of what was appropriate for children.

That said, I love Aliens.

7 Likes

Another film I could never watch again, just for the ending alone, is The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

That was written and directed by Peter Greenaway. I saw one of his earlier films, The Draughtsmanā€™s Contract, and it made me want to grab Greenaway by the hair and bash his face against a brick wall. So I vowed never to see another movie by him again, and in retrospect Iā€™m very glad I made that vow.

Same deal with Breaking the Waves and Lars von Trier.

3 Likes

That movie was another cinematic kick in the face. Never watching it again either.

2 Likes

Lars von Trier seems particularly proficient at that. Dancer in the Dark, anyone?

4 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not a big anime guy, but I havenā€™t sworn it off completely, either (I love Miyazakiā€™s work).

But if I have to direct anyone towards that stuff, I donā€™t recommend Grave of the Fireflies. I donā€™t dissuade them, either, but I just say that itā€™s a difficult viewing experience and let it lie there.

2 Likes

Oh I know ā€“ anything, anything, by Atom Egoyan.

Thereā€™s only so many ways to dress up incest as an art film. Blech.

6 Likes

That was the first episode of Game of Thrones for me. Once it gets into incest, Iā€™m out.

4 Likes

For GOT, Iā€™d read the first book, so at least I was ready for that. Egoyan did all these really critically adored movies in the 90s and after about the third one I said, why am I doing this to myself? and stopped going to them.

4 Likes

Super. Itā€™s the best deconstruction of superheroes ever. (Sorry Zack Snyder) but man itā€™s too dark to watch a second time.

3 Likes

Funny, the mom-and-pop VHS store in my town gave you 4 or 5 days for older movies and Iā€™d never seen it. The first viewing with one group of friends was pretty terrifying, but two nights later with a different group, we laughed the whole time. No, I havenā€™t watched it since!

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny because both films are films I would gladly watch twice. Peter Greenaway is a brilliant director. One of the best today. Meet the Feebles has aged less well, sadly. I would say the fact that itā€™s a foul movie about foul creatures affords it a bit of leeway.

As for a movie I will never watch again- Aeon Flux. Totally missed what was great about the show. I walked out of the theatre.

5 Likes