What's Going On at Work?

I suspect the sign mostly serves to show where to wait for the next available clerk, but knowing what I know about people, I could picture all of the scenarios you suggest, and several others, including waiting in their cars and calling out/yelling for a clerk.

Edit to say i was ninja’d

3 Likes

My employer started a new program where we can order work clothes through them. We don’t have to wear a uniform per se, but they will allow each employee $100 credit that they can spend on clothes from this one company they have contracted with.

I didn’t really check out the prices on any individual items, since we had to go to HR and she went to the website and filled out all the info and placed the order. But I managed to get 4 pair of pants, 5 long sleeve t-shirts and one short sleeve t-shirt for just under the $100 limit. That seemed pretty good.

The shirts seem pretty nice, 100% cotton, not beefy tees, but acceptable. They have the company name embroidered, not just printed, on the left side. Classy! :slightly_smiling_face:

The pants are 65% poly 35% cotton. They seem okay although I might have liked the material to be a bit thicker. I’ve only worn them this week, so I have yet to wash them; that will be the true test, how they hold up after a few washings. But they have good pockets! That is crucially important in work pants! The pockets are large enough to be functional and made of a fabric which seems reasonably durable. Nice!

I ordered 2 black pair and 2 navy blue pair of pants. The black ones fit just fine, but both of the blue ones were at least an inch too small in the waist. So it’s true – black is slimming! I took the blue ones back in and left them for the HR person (she wasn’t there at the time), so now I have to wait for her to return them and the supplier to replace them (with 2 more black ones just to be safe)

6 Likes

Ooo 60/30 poly/cotton. Wash in cold water.

I’m surprised they aren’t scratchy.

POCKETS!!!

1 Like

So, a supervisor gave me & coworkers a list of things to do to “look busy” when no one’s around so we know we’re ready to work. Yesterday my friend and I found a way we can look down the hallway to know whether anyone’s coming while also laying on the floor and watching The Mandalorian. We’re not avoiding work, there’s actually nothing to do, but the hallway is so long we have plenty of time to pause it and look busy by the time anyone gets there. Nobody tell supervisor. Especially because he says that’s what he and his friends used to do when they had this job.

3 Likes

Just make sure there’s no hidden cameras around…
Big brother could still be watching inconspicuously :face_with_monocle:

Thankfully, the other position I have in this building involves watching the cameras, so I know exactly where they can see and how to account for it

2 Likes

So back to this saga.
My coworker brought in a cable style locking system for both her fridge and small food pantry for snacks. I installed them and this apparently stirred up the redneck custodian some more…
He huffed off taking the keys to the 2 ton mail truck claiming he was going to go blow some leaves at the other post office across town, yet he left the leaf blower sitting in the parking lot when he drove off!
Had the supervisor call him to ask where he was and he told her he was blowing leaves at the other office. She asked him how he was doing that when the blower is still sitting here in the parking lot?? He didn’t respond and came back to pick it up an hour later :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

200w

2 Likes

Seriously, what dirt does he have on the higher-ups? There is no logical reason why this guy still has a job.

2 Likes

One word: Union.
Unfortunately, he’s a brown noser with management and when he gets himself into trouble the union has to defend him. As a union steward, I can recuse myself from representing him but another steward would be brought in to replace me. :man_facepalming:
Even if he angers management, they’ll still defend him by not writing him up for disciplinary action, so he continues to get away with his antics. We’re hoping he will get himself in so much trouble that he’s forced to retire. That’s our only hope at this point :man_shrugging:

Been quite for the most part…
Coworker and the redneck custodian are still not talking. The supervisor that got the postmaster position at the smaller post office south of here sent the redneck custodian to that office to cut down some raggedy hedges in front of her post office and to clean up the place while he’s there.
My coworker is going on vacation after this Saturday,March 23 until April 4. She always takes time off around Easter so 10 days of not dealing with her bossiness will be nice :+1:

Another quiet day as all work is completed for the week. So quiet that the coworker took extra time for lunch to take care of some stuff before she leaves for vacation after work tomorrow.
Our postmaster had to go to his old office northwest of us because a rural carrier was in a serious accident yesterday. I haven’t heard many details but it was so serious the carrier had to be cut out of the mail van. This stretch of road the carrier was traveling on is already one of the most dangerous roads in our county and it has been slated for widening, but has been held up for environmental reasons.

3 Likes

Been quiet with my coworker gone. I Like That! :grin:
The coupon ads arrived Monday and the 3 window clerks don’t seem to care about distributing them to the carrier’s cases :roll_eyes: The pregnant junior clerk was passing them out by herself so I offered to help till lunchtime.
While passing them out, she told me she misplaced a $91.00 check from a customer yesterday when she closed out her cash drawer and she may be liable for repaying it… The union rep has fought similar cash drawer discrepancies with management in the past so I told her to talk to him about it. They also keep petty cash on hand so if they have enough, then they can use it to cover the shortage.

1 Like

I’m surprised the post office will accept a personal check. Their policy should be, “I’m sorry, but we can’t accept a personal check for payment. We can accept a postal money order. Would you like to buy one to pay for your purchase today?”

1 Like

I guess they still do for the folks that still write checks, but if they bounce then that gets handled by the Postal Inspectors.
I had to do 2 bank runs as well since a lot of people don’t seem to want to go cashless either.

2 Likes

“OK, can I pay for that with a check?”

3 Likes

I was thinking of posting in the smiling thread about not having to work today, but then I picked up a shift tonight for a coworker who can’t make it. I did this on purpose, I love my job, and I’ll get to work with my favorite coworker, but I’m going to be so tired.
I have an option of just not working for all of next week, but I also tend to go a bit crazy without something to do, so I’m probably going to work just because. It’ll just be sitting at a desk doing nothing for all of next week anyway, so it’s not like it’ll be hard.

3 Likes

Makin it rain change today…
Had to go on bank runs for both the main and smaller finance post offices, then get a call from the clerk that runs the tiny post office 10 miles south of here that she needed change as well. Because the nearest bank to that post office closed down, I had to bring here change back to town to my local bank then take her change back to her office.
Racked up a total of 50 eTravel miles for 3 hours of travel and haven’t been able to get any of my work done. It’s now lunch time so I’ll do an hour worth of work and then do the rest tomorrow :man_shrugging:

This morning, I had to setup a complete computer setup in a vacant office and remove all sorts of paperwork from our former safety manager’s office who’s now retired. He was quadriplegic and could no longer perform his work so I had to box up his belongings so they can be picked up by family or be delivered to his house.
Then the supervisor sent me on a 2 coffee run at Dunkin Donuts that she placed online and they gave me the wrong order! Didn’t realize it until I got back to the post office. I don’t drink coffee myself and I don’t like doing coffee runs anyway because it wastes my time and puts unnecessary wear and tear on my vehicle, and this mistake just adds to that. I wasn’t going back to fix the order either so she sent the redneck custodian instead. My coworker usually goes on these coffee runs for her but she’s on vacation.
I was looking forward to a peaceful time at work while my coworker was off but so far it’s been anything but that! :confounded:

1 Like

Here’s another chance for me to get another written warning. Stupid pinche huevóns.

"Well, I might as well comment now what a brilliant management technique that was, opening up VTO on this shift when I submitted a request for vacation time 24 hours ago.

I don’t think I need to tell you I won’t be coming in today, and the reason is sheer contempt for that whoever or whatever decided HC for today. Good luck! And I’ll see you guys when I feel like it."

1 Like