What's Going On at Work?

Nice! I do book covers, but purely on a volunteer basis. Which is probably the only way I would be allowed to, as I can’t imagine anyone paying for my work.

9 Likes

Wow! If I ran a publishing company, I’d hire you.

8 Likes

Very kind of you. :heart:

5 Likes

Cube rat in the transportation industry, which given current supply chain issues, has been a NIGHTMARE. I push paper, but I push it damn well and deal with enough money flowing through accounts to make me kinda nervous. :grimacing: And today’s been nutty because one of my teammates is off for the entire week.

But I’d really rather be traveling the world and making bad YouTube videos. :rofl:

10 Likes

I’m an expert at bad YouTube videos (RVR2 is my channel) :rofl:

6 Likes

Livin the dream…

7 Likes

It would be better for us if you made bad movies instead. More riffing material! :movie_camera:

7 Likes

i don’t know but if the Gizmoplex needs additional content, I’d watch a show where the Bots (with or without a “human” host) riff on bad YouTube videos, with permission of the Original Content Creators of course.

4 Likes

I concur. These covers do not suck.

8 Likes

Self-employed freelance web designer here. You want a website, I’ll give you a good deal. Not this year though as I’m all booked up!

I’ve been working at home since 2002 and my social life petered out around 2016 give or take a couple of years so the transition to Pandemic Times was actually really simple for me. The husband’s around when he didn’t used to be, otherwise it’s all about the same. Business was slow at the beginning but when everyone started to go online to avoid meeting in person it picked up.

My husband works at LargeTechCo*, and almost every time we talk about that I end up saying “I’m so glad I work alone!” He likes his co-workers but there is a lot of dumb $#it in any big company.

*an anonymous but large internet company which you have definitely heard of

12 Likes

I’m a senior software developer. I wrote a complex SQL function today that turned out to be unnecessary

Livin’ the dream…

14 Likes

Hey! I’m a tech writer/knowledgebase content generator too. I work in one of the IT departments for a super-large insurance company. No one reads anything I write, except to tell me when something is out-of-date. Do they tell me what I need to know to update it? Of course not. Do they attend any of the meetings I schedule so I can find out what I need to know to update it? Of course not. Do they email me 8 months later to let me know it’s out of date? Of course.

At least I work from home, so I just have to fall out of bed and into my chair. Not having a commute makes it all worth it.

14 Likes

If I ever self-publish anything again, I’d pay you for a cover.

6 Likes

I also run the support sites for three small brands. Do they tell me when a new product launches? No, they do not.

7 Likes

I have to say, prior to the lockdowns, I was working from a nice beach house. I kinda miss that.

4 Likes

I’m happy to do covers for free, as long as the book doesn’t offend my sensibilities (which takes some doing). And if it’s a Harlequin Romance type book, you must supply the heaving bosoms and buttery pecs.

8 Likes

I’m visiting faculty at a university. I’ve been trying to get on permanently. A job actually came open this year and I applied on the second day after it was posted. It would have been the first day but I was too busy with my classes. I’ve been working at this university in various (underpaid) capacities for almost ten years and I’m really hoping that I can finally get some job security. Being an adjunct really sucks for anyone who doesn’t know.

And I just had a very exhausting two days because I’m teaching while also taking my chemistry class which was a horror yesterday, plus all my tests that needed reviewing for my job and I’m just praying that tomorrow is a little easier.

On the side, I write. I write fanfiction for fun. I have two novels (unpublished), and plans for a history of astronomy book which has not happened because of the stress of the pandemic.

12 Likes

Yeah, that’s the gig. I’ve been at it for 30 years, it doesn’t really change. Lots of people seem to think it must be some entry-level stepping stone to coding or business analysis or middle management, and seem puzzled when they learn otherwise. No, Chadwick, I’ve parlayed my B.A. in writing into a paycheck that lets me buy food and go fishing, and doesn’t require me to teach your children anything, which believe me, neither of us wants. Don’t you have a code review to attend?

That is no kidding, right there.

12 Likes

This line made me laugh way harder than it should have, especially if I pretend not to know the context.

Congrats on your successful fix!

5 Likes

Small handful of coworkers who irritate me. If “Jeanette” tells me how to do one more thing, I have a strong urge to punch her in the “face.”

“Carrie,” used to be a good work friend: yesterday, “You know if you leave that there you’re just making more work for someone else!” You dumb clod, (i) I’ve already computed the priorities and divided it into stages (ii) and who is the “someone else?” It’s me m***^%I* c*&&^, I’m going to be the one dealing with the next step in my process. Idiot. How dare she speak to me that way.

So, “Carrie” gets the dead-eyed stare from me from now on. Permanently.

3 Likes