What's Going On at Work?

Thank you!

3 Likes

Water’s off in the entire building due to the work going on outside right now. Dunno when it’ll come back on. So I can neither wash out my lunch dishes or use the bathroom. This checks out for today! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Just be happy you have AC (assuming you do). There is AC in the office where I work, but out back in the warehouse, none. And you have to go through the warehouse to get to your car. It’s like walking through an oven.

1 Like

NOPE. Please stand up, yell “NO PEE, NO ME!” and then go directly home.

2 Likes

Water’s back on this morn, but they’re jackhammering outside, and as we work on the ground floor, my floor, chair, and desk are all vibrating like they’ve had two pots of coffee.

Scared Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

2 Likes

So, the other day I said I had to connect to a VPN server in Canada to get any sort of close to decent download speed from work. We’re owned by a French company and, on a hunch, I connected to a French server and pow! Super fast downloads!

The internet is stupid.

3 Likes

It’s becoming intolerable, dealing with these no-account bums on the job.

But, it does give me and the gals something to point and laugh at. I especially like the older dude who is apparently “dry humping” the ladies from behind when he gives out his daily unwanted hugs to anyone and everyone.

Probably some cognitive difficulties there, with that one. Brain rot or something. Big problem, there. But, it’s kind of a bonding experience to point and laugh at that thing, and the few others who are…just…not doing nothing but jack and ess.

I do appreciate the actual people on my team who manage to do things without being a danger to themselves and others. Not about speed or even acuity, just not being an obstacle is good enough. And being pleasant to work with is a little lagniappe as well.

The rest of them can go get bent. Tunes by Sally Strothers, they all stay in the rain all the time.

Oh, and Chuck? No offense, and you have redeeming qualities, but why don’t you just not take the yard marshall role? You can do entrance, but you don’t have the ability to work the megaphone. Not loud enough, not on time enough, and you’re still standing in the freaking drivelane while you’re parking the freight vans.

And Devon, no. I’m sorry, kid, but this whole “I think that should be an ‘all clear.’” WTH is that supposed to mean? It either is or isn’t! Are the drivelanes clear? Then, fine, it is. But I’m not rolling down the voodoo on some subjunctive mood.

2 Likes

Trying to do the usual Friday morning mop-up and closeouts; due to our floater person being on vacation for two weeks, I’ve had to take on some extra duties (because no one else was volunteering to do it), so I am running behind.

Also trying to get things set up and as ahead of schedule as possible because our shipment person is on vacation from a Tues to a Tues starting next week. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

The only good thing about this is overtime is already authorized for next week. Hi-freaking-keeba!

2 Likes

I’m on vacation from the post office until Tuesday and I hope I don’t hear from my coworker about anything work related including drama…

4 Likes

HBD, RVR2!

Thank you very much! I’m 53 and chillaxing all day :grin:

2 Likes

Work sucks! Don’t get me wrong, I am a software developer, and I generally love what I do. Unfortunately, my place of employment has gone from one of the best places I have ever worked, to a hollowed out shell of itself in the span of 2 short years. Things were still not all that bad for me until I went on vacation the last week of May. When I got back, I was informed that the work my team has been doing is being put on “pause” (in favor of new tech that will not work), and that I am being assigned to another Mobile development team while they fold all of the mobile teams into that team.

Never-mind that the team I was on has been regarded for years as the exemplar of a high performance team, and maybe 20% of our products are Mobile. We have 2 mobile apps, so we are obviously a Mobile team, just ask the board. Oh, did I mention that my manager, and the only other manager I respected in our IT organization left at the same time because of the stupid stuff upper management is doing. We are bleeding devs, as one stupid decision after another is meted out with virtually no discussion or pushback allowed. I think I used up the last of my goodwill credits about 2 months ago when I pushed back on our idiot C-level person (not sure if he is CTO, CIO, or CXO, as the flavor of ‘C’ changes yearly), and actually got him to back down on making us shut down or apps for the weekend because of mainframe maintenance that absolutely in no way possible could have effected the functioning of our apps.

I also loved the work I did on my “paused” team, I was working on cutting edge tech, and have pride and investment in the work we have done over the years. Our apps are provided for free to our agents, but the powers that be want to replace us with a third party app that will cost them at least $25 every time they use it. They are going to get very little adoption, but hey, someone on the board has a stake in that 3rd party, they actually spun off from us (and stole all of our team’s data) about 5 years ago.

The only bright spot is that the market for devs is in high gear right now, I can go just about anywhere I want and make more money. They have just about burned down every bridge they had to me with inane decisions, so now I am just biding my time and coasting until I find a good remote opportunity. I though I found one yesterday, but the tech stack was all wrong for me.

So, that’s what’s going on at work. I work for boneheads, and I have one foot out the door.

6 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Another software dev here. Get out while you can! I’ve been in this situation twice and both times lead to ruin.

Nothing worse than a fully functional company flying apart at the seams as it goes down. It’s like watching a disaster in slow motion

3 Likes

Last day of work before my surgery (not for something serious, it’s a comfort issue). We’ll see if I’m awake enough to enjoy Demon Squad this Friday.

2 Likes

Best of luck and swift healing!

For a nominal fee, I will sit on a stepladder outside your house and use a bullhorn to keep you up for the episode. :grin: Just one of the services we Mods offer!

3 Likes

I appreciate it, but something tells me the rest of my family wouldn’t go for it.

1 Like

Meh, it’s always a novella-length story, but I’ll keep it short.

I put my foot down on this dude who’s always intercepting people for hugs and trying to take charge of his intermediary role. I didn’t say it, but by action I demonstrated the old saw “I’m screwing this cat, you just hold the tail.” IOW, if I’m performing a task, I’m doing it. Don’t interrupt me.

Not meant to be offensive: AFAIK, it’s an old saying, and it’s pretty descriptive. Just made it clear he can’t interrupt me, and, one hopes, by extension, anyone else.

Ad punctum 2:

Wow. The contracted security firm, one of their “people” apparently had some problem with how our literal job is structured. Literally, the only thing going on at our place for about five hours of dispatch in the front dispatch yard. As in, we’re one of the reasons this whole building exists. Carrie, who is the best, literally yelled out over the two-way, “We have a problem with security, I need a manager now.”

Our Area Manager (…MST3k reference?..probably not!) went right over and dealt with the rogue contracted security “person.”

I was working exit, she was entrance, but by god, like I told her, “You Ok?” She said, “Yeah, I’m fine.” I say, “Jeez, you didn’t drop a beat, you kept right on the times and everything.” She: “I didn’t raise three children and deal with a bunch of bullcrap for nothing, I know how how to multitask. I can scream at some man and do the rest fine!”

I had no idea what was happening, because of 150 yards or so between us, and dispatch vans moving, and only chatter over the two-way. I found out a bit later bits and pieces, but didn’t want to get into it, just see if she was OK and if she wanted to vent.

That’s why I like my job: I get to work with pretty damned cool people.

1 Like

I feel you. That happened at two companies I worked at this century. So depressing, but they were both super fun at the beginning. Did make a lot of great contacts before the diasporas. I’m looking for my next adventure now and trying to pick a winner this time! Good luck to you

3 Likes

Stuffed teacher gnomes are now in stock at my store. It’s mid June ffs.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

4 Likes