What's Going On at Work?

And back at the post office, they had a job fair a couple days ago out in our lobby telling people the ol car salesman pitch about what a great place it is to work here…
The reality is we’re losing more than we’re hiring! At least 4 rural carriers are leaving after tomorrow, we’ve lost around 3-4 city carriers recently, they’re not converting postal support employees to full time clerks like they should and the ones we have are getting worked to death, in fact we need a few more brought in before the Christmas rush starts up in September…
Management is terrible as they are disorganized which is causing a lot of people to leave. It’s not getting better, but worse :weary:

2 Likes

Ugh…that’s disappointing!

1 Like

Kind of a nightmare right now; I’m off tomorrow, so I came in with every plan to get ahead and get what I needed to done, then a single issue blew up and ate my entire morning. This also allowed several new tasks to pile up.

So now I’m shoveling my lunch into my face before pivoting and trying to get 8hrs of work into about 4. This probably isn’t going to be fun.

1 Like

Oh…so it’s a Tuesday? :laughing: All kidding aside…I feel like this is my current work-life experience every day! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’d never considered that. Like Confucius says, “If they’re always hiring, they’re always firing.”

Picking up an extra shift on Saturday, and I think, since I always get there early (which, in my book, means on time), I’m going to write on the board "p = m (dot) v (arrow).

And explain during stand up that, to those who forgot their linear algebra, calculus, or physics, that momentum, which we denote as lower-case ‘p’, is the dot product of the scalar mass and the vector velocity.

And since we don’t have time to measure the vector, we have to estimate.

And so that means big things moving move fast.

And so that means if you are standing in the way of a widget, you’d better run.

And an even better question? Why are you in the way, when there is work to be done? And why are you forcing others to do your work for you?

Important safety tip.

Also, get the hell out of my way, moron. I’m doing my job and yours too, you lazy sacks of something.

Why? Because I came on site to work, and not to suck myself off in a corner, pieces of trash.

2 Likes

Oh man this same scenario happened at the first place I worked at, the boss finished telling a guy that he couldn’t afford to give him a raise and later the same day showed off his brand new Mazaratti… What is wrong with these types of people?

2 Likes

I work in corporate learning, and our Learning Management System (LMS, the repository of all our in-house training) is as quirky and annoying as a lot of other similar databases. The way I talk to, and about, it would have me hauled in front of HR if it were a person. I dunk on it like I’m MST and it’s Bert I. Gordon.

So a colleague and I were performing some routine LMS maintenance, and I brain-farted and almost forgot a critical task. Right after my colleague caught the miss, the LMS somehow managed to automatically register me for a class called “Succeeding in a New Job.”

Sick burn, LMS. You win this round.

4 Likes

That’s hilarious!

It’s gaining sentience, nothing to worry about :rofl:

4 Likes

Yesterday and today’s project from our illustrious postmaster was to gather up all the old relic computers, crt monitors, PS2 mouse and keyboards, printers, old postal scanners and batteries, take pictures of all serial numbers and prepare to ship them off to be recycled.
She wanted me to send out a server but after disconnecting it and pulling it out of service our system went down. Come to find out it’s still connected with our Internet so it can’t be taken out of service…
Awesome :+1: I had a feeling something catastrophic was going to happen :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Leave it to the postmaster to screw up the schedule where there’s no clerks to run the small post office 10 miles south…
The main clerk is on vacation,the other trained clerk is out and the other junior clerk isn’t trained there yet so the postmaster is the only one available…
I get there with the mail and keys so she opens the door and sets off the alarm! She didn’t know there was an alarm there so I had to call the supervisor and get the alarm code to disarm it :joy:
I immediately left after that! No way was I gonna stick around and help her!

1 Like

Just got back from 4 days off to attend a convention, which was amazing, but I come back to find that no one bothered to touch any work I left behind and I have an email from my boss going “I know it’s a short week, but we need to get all of this in…”

Well…maybe someone should have taken the work I set up for them to take???

Ugh.

2 Likes

The ‘Not My Job’ award is about to be dished out :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

FISH just a whole lotta FISH

1 Like

??

1 Like

“Fish be there”?

I know where this is going

Copyright free Amazing Grace intensifies

1 Like

I guess I should mention something about work.

Our domain provider screwed up DNS for our company today basically locking everyone out. This is the second time it’s happened and we’ve since switched to a new provider

What a hassle!!

1 Like

I had some really excellent (and not at all overpriced) vegetarian salad rolls for lunch today!

Oh. You meant in the workplace itself.

I got nothin’. :confused:

1 Like

Calm before the storm. The UTR (under the roof) cats hired forty n00bs over the past three weeks, and since, being n00bs, they’re messing up left and right. Of course, I have to fix the many MANY mistakes and smooth things over during dispatch with the various contracted drivers.

But, in my “area” (“batch”? no, “area,” I guess — OTR (“on the road”) dispatch, we’ve had some new hires who have mostly been solid, or at least aren’t in my way. Even though it’s my job, to train new hires as well as do various ordinary rôles, I didn’t explicitly train any of them (i.e., give them a basic orientation, do a walk around of the site and explain company policy), they seem to have been acquiting themselves pretty well, with some informal advice and learning by example.

It’s not rocket science, and in some ways it’s not too different than burger flipping, just with slightly higher stakes, especially as concerns safety concerns and correct protocol, and, equally important, cooperating albeit with a firm hand with our contracted drivers and their managers.

So, it’s OK. Still don’t have a way to trim some of the useless deadwood from my team, but it’s not complete chaos and we do have some very hard workers among the newer hires who are trying and succeeding at not making a hash of everything.

Got another person trained working yard marshall entrance, who’s just great, and this guy who’s sharing exit yard marshall duties with me (yes, I’m glad to have a bit of relief, since shouting through a megaphone is pretty tough on the vocal cords) is killing it, and I’m definitely stealing some pages out of his book/lines of patter to make sure our load-in times don’t absolutely fail.

Not bad. Pretty nice. The troops are salty! I have confidence we’ll get through the summer months OK.

1 Like

Been away for work for 4 days and haven’t heard a thing from my coworker at all which I like, but I return tomorrow so we’ll see what the latest chaos is…

2 Likes

This is where the fish works…

1 Like