What's Going On at Work?

So I’m not at work today (although still working from home) because I went to bed last night with what I am sure is just a head cold, but they’re making me stay home until I get results of a COVID test I had to take this morning at CVS. Annoying.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

7 Likes

I work in logistics for a major US retailer. If you’re reading the news you kinda know why I’ve been pulling 65-70 hour weeks for the last 2 months.

But I’m doing my best to make sure you all have a Merry Christmas.

10 Likes

Well today was a crazy day at the post office…
I was reading a safety email about a shooting that took place at the Memphis, TN distribution center when 2 city carriers had to be separated as one accused the other of not helping when he finishes his route and the other saying he’s too slow on purpose so as not to help the other carriers out with partial routes created when a carrier is off or sick… One guy is huge like 6’4" and over 300 pounds, the other guy is a stocky retired Marine. Might have made for an interesting Pay-Per view match but stress is already at an all time high with mail carriers being over worked and under staffed, and we’re over 2 months away from Christmas :flushed:
Then this afternoon a woman carrier was attacked by a dog. She was injured enough to require an ambulance and be transported to the hospital.
What a day :pensive:

6 Likes

Yikes!
Our regular carrier always has dog treats with him. Is this a common tactic to try to avoid attacks?

4 Likes

They’re not supposed to carry treats for animals, at least that’s what management tells them here… All they have is animal spray like mace. Not sure if she was able to get to it in time or not.
This is the same carrier that was t-boned by a woman who blew through a stop sign at 50mph earlier this year and she was out for almost 3 months :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Is management out there being bitten by dogs? No. No they are not.

8 Likes

You are correct-They are not.

4 Likes

I’m sometimes called a wizard and I’m known for manipulating light and shadows.
Currently working on something about a “Book” from long ago and far far away.

4 Likes

Ah, so it’s possible I know you… used to spend my days cloning around.

4 Likes

I have no doubt I probably know several people on this forum…
Hopefully you had a chance to come to one of the monthly screenings we had at work.

3 Likes

Hooray. Tested negative. Second time I’ve had to take that test. I love shoving a q-tip up both nostrils.

8 Likes

good news indeed.

I got to talk to a whole batch of new hires yesterday that it’s been mandated they be vaxed to be able to work… luckily most won’t be an issue.

6 Likes

You, too? Man, back before the Covid I could go get my nostrils forcibly invaded every day—no lines, no stress, just “please shove this up my nose thank you very much” and now everyone is doing it, and it’s just hard for those of us who are true-fans…

I mean, unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, so am I.

6 Likes

My 9-to-5 is in systems administration. Employer is trapped in 1998… but we’re also deemed essential during the pandemic. So, like most things in the universe, there has been a duality – it has been comfortable knowing that employment’s not going away anytime soon but, man, it’s been a haggard chain of 9-to-5s.

I also volunteer for a local non-profit, holding two officer chairs. There, the pandemic hit the brakes on a ton of stuff but my workload wasn’t really impacted. Most of the afternoon today will be putting the finishing touches on a project that’s taken about a month to grind out.

8 Likes

I suspect we might work for the same company. I’m outbound OTR van and flex dispatch, and our OpsMgr is really not on the ball.

PTO, VTO, UPT, excellent dental and vision insurance is good.

But it’s like Col. Kurtz is in charge: pure madness as far as the CO and their on-site minions go. I’m happy to stay T1, given that T3 make the same wage as I do, and have twice or thrice the headaches.

/* ETA

Yeah. AFAIK a lot of “our” driver associates carry dog treats and such, in addition to OC spray in the gel formulation: it’s really up to the DSP contracted companies, but you wouldn’t believe how many stories I’ve heard about DAs getting bit and suing the ess out of the owners. Lot of horror stories.

Even though I’m OTR for the company, my job ends at the parking lot, but I hear a lot. Not that anybody has time to chat, nor any inclination.

Hell, half the time the DAs and even DSP owners are oblivious to a six-hundred pound cart moving full speed in their direction. Eff them. You want your dispatch done? Good? GTFO my way, idiot.

*/

5 Likes

I could tell you what I do at work, but then several things would happen: I would lose my job and/or be arrested, this forum would likely be scrubbed or possibly shut down altogether, and all of you might be visited by very stern people wanting to know if you shared the information further.

I work as a federal contractor with sensitive and classified information, for reference. I can tell you that much without getting into much trouble.

7 Likes

My boss made me drink some biohazard stuff and I started to feel weird and now he wants to take us for pizza but I don’t think I could keep pizza down so I might just have the soup.

6 Likes

My mom was in Military Intelligence (oxymoron! ha!) and always enjoyed telling people she could tell them what she did but then she’d have to kill them.

Some of it is declassified now so I can give you this hint :bow_and_arrow:

7 Likes

Ok, I relented and apologized for being a bit of an a-hole to her, so we’re friendly again. That’s good, because she amuses me and we get along well.

Well, she didn’t really like it when I called her Pandora station “music that serial killers would listen to,” but that was a while ago.

6 Likes