What's Going On at Work?

Nothing too exciting. Fair amount of volume for a Thursday.

I think I took to needling this mushmouthed little pr*$% who was working exit yard marshall with the megaphone a bit too far.

(Over the two-way radio): “Hey, Chuck! How much time do we have left!” “Hey Chuck, when will it be 11h30?” etc.

I like him well enough, we’re FB “friends” and all that, and we joke around quite a bit on the job, but he just plain sucks at working the megaphone.

Oh, and I have permission from Carrie to beat the stuffing out of this would-be macho FNG with my fists. I wouldn’t, you know, not on company property, nor off, probably, but there’s only enough room for one Chunk Hardstuff on our team, and you’re looking at him. :innocent:

Yeah, right! I agree with you. That’s way way down on AMZN’s priorities. WAY below doing Milk Runs between stations, which is a daily event looked forward to with much anticipation. I doubt it’s even on their radar, really. I don’t know whose responsibility that would be, really, within AMZN, but I think you should just throw it all away.

Start a bonfire, or raffle packages off or something.

Post a notice in the classifieds that you’ll be disposing of excess freight in, like, 30 days, or whatever the legal time is. Why can’t you guys charge AMZN for storage? That would get some traction.

I can tell with near certainty that AMZN will not be wrapping palletized freight on the loading dock, and with the contracted delivery drivers, the only way the freight gets into a step van is through one of those companies. AMZN would have to beg them to do it, and, of course, pay them.

They might send an XL truck to do it, which Amzon owns, and is operated by an Amazon employee, not a contractor, but the only other option is a tractor-trailer rig, which, as you know, has to be loaded in a very specific way. And the driver of the rig is definitely not wrapping pallets or loading jack ess.

1 Like

Yeah my back is still reeling from moving all these steel carrier cases around the post office last week so I’m in no mood to move any of that sh!t at all. Apparently we are not authorized to toss it or give it away or even throw it away. I’m sure if we stack it on pallets and IF a driver ever shows and doesn’t like how we stacked it he won’t bother with it so the postmaster can go pound sand for all I care! :angry:

2 Likes

Absolutely drowning; I’m adjusting trying to get my sleep schedule on a European bent before leaving for Germany, so I’m already exhausted, and my teammates are in an absolute panic WEHAVETOGETCAUGHTUPONEVERYTHINGBEFOREYOUGO mode.

Oh, and because our latest full-time hire proved unable to pull their weight after 18 months, we’re bringing on a new part-time person next week to pick up the slack. Not getting rid of the full-time, but adding ANOTHER person to an already unwieldy team. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

The illustrious postmaster, not satisfied with all rearranging that I’ve done around the post office wants the grass cut TODAY because it’s going to rain tomorrow…
OH… Since when did she become a meteorologist?! :roll_eyes: The grass wasn’t even that bad but IT HAD TO BE DONE TO-DAY!! Fine, I cut the damn grass. Then she wants me to blow all the grass clippings despite it being a windy day and there wasn’t much to clean up anyway…
I’m sure she’s just being spiteful towards me yet again because I flat out refuse to mess with the Amazon returns because quite frankly, it’s not my job! I volunteered to help store this sh!t out of the way until management dealt with the situation but so far they have done nothing but give excuses (more like lies) of them supposedly coming to pick it up IF we put it on pallets for them. Not My Responsibility!
If I make a call to OSHA (because all this product is now blocking 2 fire exits) I’ll bet management will get something done about it then! Then we’ll see what her spiteful @$$ has to say about that! I’ll hold that card in my deck for the time being but if she keeps pushing me and I make a phone call…
Things. Will. Happen.

2 Likes

So the postmaster contacted the other 2 maintenance guys at the post office across town to come over to my office. Didn’t tell them why until they got here and this is what she had us doing all day…

What you’re looking at is around 2 dozen pallets of Amazon returns we’ve been storing for months in our postal equipment that had to be removed and placed on pallets in the hopes they will come pick it up. The storage room is only half empty but we can’t clog up the dock any further so we’re at a stand still. Also these pallets can easily be seen from the road so she’s just inviting criminals to come steal some stuff!
We stacked all this crap onto pallets supposedly for a 3rd party Amazon vendor to ‘hopefully’ pick this sh!t up but I’m not holding my breath…
Pretty sure I aggravated my back moving all this crap so I might just call out tomorrow to recuperate. I’m off Wednesday anyway but an electrical crew will be here early that morning to cutoff the power to my house and hook up my backup generator so I won’t get much rest that day :disappointed:

2 Likes

When I worked for TRU, the retail space beside us that wasn’t being used (but was included in our lease) ended up being overflow storage for us and the other 5 stores in our area. We would get Managers from those stores showing up to grab supplies or stuff from their storage, who would leave things in bad shape, or drop damaged stuff off until we would have a full trailer to ship back east.

There were times we would just clean it up, or pack-up the returns, but if it got anywhere close to this, our store director was on the horn, calling in people from those locations to clean up their own crap.

That there isn’t a better return process where stuff doesn’t sit there, or a better system for them to come pick up their garbage is terrible. And the expectation you should do their work for them is just pathetic.

1 Like

I blame the postmaster for not getting in contact with the 3rd party vendor months ago demanding they come get their crap! She claims she was charging them a storage fee but she’ll tell a bold face lie to cover her own @$$ or to throw someone else under the bus. I don’t trust her at all!
We’ll see if they actually come and get any of this. If they want it shrink wrapped then they better bring their own and do it themselves! I should file a grievance for her ordering us to do work that’s not even in our job description but she will get spiteful and nitpick our work or start looking for crap for us to do so I’m holding back but I do plan on taking tomorrow off to let my back rest.

1 Like

Hell yes. they should bring and use their own materials. anything that costs $ should be on their dime.

1 Like

So you’re saying if I want a lightly used Casper mattress I can just pop down to your post office and nip one off this stack…

2 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny this :grimacing:

2 Likes

That is way, way beyond what I was expecting! What a charlie foxtrot!

I guess that makes sense it’s a third party vendor: I wonder what the likelihood is that they’ve already erased the returns from their records, or written them off or submitted an insurance claim.

Yeah, damn right they’re going to wrap and stack the pallets, depending on what kind of truck they’re using. Wrapping pallets kind of sucks, getting dizzy going around in circles!

They should damn well bring their own pallet jacks as well!

1 Like

And the storage room is still half full or we’d fill up the entire dock.

That’s my guess cause it doesn’t sound like they’re in any hurry to come pick it up…
We’ll see how long it sits there.

We don’t have enough shrink wrap to wrap up all their sh!t anyway

1 Like

So I followed through and called out this morning (my back and my right shoulder are actually bothering me from moving all that sh!t yesterday) and I informed my coworker around 5am that I won’t be in and she starts blowing up my phone! “What’s going on? Why did she have you do all that” I can’t do everything by myself!" and on and on and on…
I do as I’m ordered to do! If our daily routines don’t get finished, they don’t get finished! I’m trying to rest because it’s obvious I won’t be getting any additional sleep from the constant barrage of text messages and I keep telling her ‘Just do what you can do and don’t stress out over it. If the postmaster doesn’t care then we shouldn’t care.’
She takes things way too seriously and the postmaster has a tendency to take advantage of our strengths; she has great organizing skills where I’m good at moving heavy objects/items around when needed but these special projects take us away from our normal maintenance related tasks that she will tend to micro-manage when she’s in her sh!tty moods and when we explain that you had us doing other pet-projects she still seems to think we’re making excuses for not getting our regular jobs done. :roll_eyes:
Then my coworker calls me before 6am saying that I don’t want you to think I’m leaving you with a bunch of stuff to do when I return to work and I said I’ll just play catch up and get what I can done or caught up with and go home when it’s time to. I’m just not that worried about it. All the postmaster can do is b!tch and whine and complain but she can’t write us up if we’re doing our jobs.
I guess I learned back in the Navy while aboard submarines to adapt to working and living with @$$holes for months underwater you just have to act like it’s water off a ducks back and just ignore the temper tantrums and move on. I don’t let this BS bother me because it’s not going to change so long as our current postmaster is here.

4 Likes

Just met my brand-new part-time co-worker…and as I suspected, they are a retired person who came to work here just “to have something to do.”

I’m really trying to reserve judgment until I see what kind of a worker they are, but the last thing we need is someone who sees this workplace as more of a social opportunity than anything. They’ve been hired because people aren’t pulling their weight; I may have a mental break if this one turns out the same. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

So my coworker sent me this pic this morning of the truck Amazon sent to pick up their crap…

Amazing they sent one so fast! Apparently the driver does not load/unload their own trailers so since I called out, the postmaster apparently called over the 2 maintenance guys back from the other office to load up all the product from the dock yesterday and also bring out the unloaded postal equipment from the back room to unload from and manually load up the product into the trailer. From what she told me by lunch time they could not fit everything inside this tractor trailer (there was that much sh!t)!
Apparently the 2 maintenance guys from the other office were not happy I called out but again this is not theirs not mine nor maintenance’s job to fix! It is a Mail Clerk’s responsibility! From what my coworker said they apparently like the postmaster for some odd reason so I said if they like her so much, they can continue to do her bidding because we’re tired of it at our office!
They’ll get over it in time cause I’m already over it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Likely being a 3rd party they are only contracted to drive.
Again to reference working for TRU, we would deal with 3rd party for cross country shipments and specialized contracts for the local depot.

Local shipments would show up and we would just be there to open the door, direct where we wanted stuff dropped off, or what was ready to go, then back on the floor or to the bike station to put more together.

National shipments would come by train, transfer to a truck, and show up about 6 AM. The driver would just disconnect and leave. We would empty it by hand in a couple hours (we were a mid sized store with jacks but not powered ones) and when done signal national to request another drive take away the empty trailer.

All in all pretty smooth as long as the shipment wasn’t delayed, or the times it was a slow week, where our trailer would be split with another local store (or 2) as we would always be last. Nothing like showing up for a 8 hour shift at 6 AM, puttering around cleaning, building bikes until we opened at 10, then doing regular things until the trailer would finally show up at 13:50 and handing the whole shabang to the afternoon/evening crew, as they preferred to not pay overtime if there was staff on hand who could deal with it.

Hopefully this whole FUBAR chapter (at least) is behind you.

1 Like

We can only hope, but this is just the latest blunder under her pathetic regime so in all honesty, this is just a reprieve until the next debauchery happens :disappointed: :disappointed:

1 Like

So it’s my day off and I’m getting the final phase of my backup generator installed at my house so my coworker is blowing up my cell texting me non stop about what the dipsh!t postmaster wants done when I return to work and on and on and on all while this is going on and I finally have to tell her “Look there’s a lot going on with this generator install and I can’t talk about this right now! I’ll talk to you tomorrow!” I mean… IT’S MY DAY OFF!!! I DON’T GIVE A SH!T ABOUT ANYTHING WORK RELATED!!
Something’s going on with the postmaster because she’s badgering my coworker and I, and when I’m not there, she badgers her to relay messages to me because she doesn’t have the guts to tell me face to face! I guess she wants me to contact the Union and let them become a burr in her @$$ for a while, I dunno.

Then I wake up this morning and she left me more multiple texts last night! I understand she’s got a lot to tell me but this is ridiculous. She lets things get to her and takes things waaayyy too seriously. I keep telling her no matter how much we do or how good of a job we know we do, it’ll never be enough to please that cantankerous woman so quit stressing about it! :expressionless:

1 Like

Hate to say it, but I predicted it! No, the rig drivers are absolutely not loading their trailers, nor anything else besides driving and following instructions to move to the dock. Amazon does have some people with CDLs in the yard, but they’re used for moving cabs inside the yard pretty much exclusively. It’s all third-party drivers for moving freight OTR.

That’s kind of funny!

1 Like

Back at work and apparently that Amazon driver wouldn’t even take the products sitting on the dock. All product had to be ‘dry bed’ loaded so the remaining returns In the storage room that were still in our postal equipment were the ones that were loaded piece by piece into the trailer floor by hand.
No word on when they will pick up what’s left on the dock…

1 Like