What's Going On at Work?

First time I left early at my current job because of not much to do for my department. Only 3 pallets on Friday to break down in the backroom. I was gone halfway through my shift. We just did inventory and the holidays are over so there’s very little to do. This week may be my final m-f shift for quite some time. I only have 4 next week with Wednesday being my day off.

2 Likes

For anyone interested, USPS will be discontinuing Priority Mail Region A and B mailing boxes effective January 22. Another cost cutting measure due to lack of return-on-investment.
Anyone still using these boxes will be charged normal postal Priority Mail rates based on weight and zip codes.

Also the price of Forever stamps will increase from $0.60 to $0.63 effective January 22 as well to offset rising inflation.

2 Likes

I had to do a self-evaluation. I hate self-evaluations because I’m endlessly self-deprecating. They asked for comments at the end and I (nicely) said that I’m not good at that sort of thing and would prefer just a regular evaluation.

3 Likes

Self evaluations are basically torture for those of us with self esteem issues.

6 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

I treat self evaluations like Stuart Smalley’s ‘Daily Affirmation’ skits.
“I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and Gosh Darnit People Like Me!” :+1:

4 Likes

You could have just stopped with “Self-evaluations are basically torture”. LOL! I hated self-evaluations. I hated them even more when I was told in my review that I was rating myself too high, as that made it look like I was overqualified for the job.

I just stared at my boss in disbelief.

4 Likes

Man, it has been a quiet day for me!
Coworker is off, postmaster is being a hermit not coming out of her office, and I’m working at my own pace.
I like it like that :smirk:

2 Likes

Adding another turnaround sticker to my hard hat. The FCC unit, aka the cat, is having a small two week outage to get inside and repair some critical equipment. Meanwhile my unit will only go down for two days starting Wednesday to fix a few things. A little bit of overtime will be made so that’s nice.

1 Like

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Something that came to my attention late Friday I wanted to follow-up on before the start of the day, so signed in 30 minutes early, and was bombed by 3 people immediately.

The training class that is attached to me and a co-worker, had an issue and that co-worker who has been handling that type of issue is away…

Another Co-worker I act as a back-up for called in sick…

A bunch of people who report up to me or those co-workers are out sick, and other have had silly tech issues…

and I’m just waiting to be asked if I can take to the OT watch for calls past closure tonight…

Only thing to smile about is that i’m planned for in-office tomorrow, and I was just asked if I could swap for a day next week. I SHOULD be in office once every 2nd/3rd week. Next week will be 8 weeks since my last one. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not quite… Now it looks like the postmaster will go out on January 24 for knee surgery then on FMLA till she retires.
I go on vacation from January 16-28 so I only have to deal with her idiocy for a couple more days this week and then I’m out :sunglasses:

And apparently our office has met its quota trying to hire new clerks and now we can’t hire anyone for the time being…
One was hired and then never showed, 2 quit during the Christmas rush and we’ve got one on FMLA for his knees.
Awesome :ok_hand:

2 Likes

So far no signs of the postmaster. She apparently wasn’t in yesterday and may not be in tomorrow so that’s a promising sign :+1:

But my coworker wants me to help her get all sorts of petty projects done including some stuff that the clerks should be doing like hanging up new signs for the new holiday schedule and pricing changes and other signage…
Because they’re still short on clerks, some of their responsibilities are getting pushed onto maintenance which is a crossing-crafts violation. The lead clerk that’s been in India the last two months should be back in February and we’ll see what she does when she returns, or what discipline she will receive for going on leave without authorization :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

There was a thunderstorm this morning and one of my dogs is terrified of thunder, so I had to work from home this morning in the only safe place in the house to her- my windowless office. She’s going to have to cope this afternoon, but I think the thunder will be over by then. I haven’t heard any for a while.

2 Likes

And my coworker just informed me she’s coming in to work Saturday which is her holiday for Martin Luther King Jr holiday Monday :tired_face:
She was supposed to go to the mountains with her husband but forgot she had a Dr appointment Monday so she would rather come in and work on her holiday instead of staying home :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The winnowing of seasonal hires is beginning! Not actually, but the picture of our future team is becoming more clear.

Truth is, a great many of them are worth converting to regular employees…except for a small handful of …small people.

By that I don’t mean height of stature, but pusillanimity, sloth, acedia, small-mindedness, and some other words I really shouldn’t say here or elsewhere.

3 Likes

Last day before vacay and of course my bossy coworker (who should be off today) is barking orders of what I need to get done and complete some January training modules…
Uh No, this is stuff You want done before I leave which is not even a priority and the doofus postmaster even said the training modules are not a priority either so I’m not going to waste my time with them!
Nope, no peaceful Saturday for me :roll_eyes:

And at least 6 city carriers called out (probably to extend their MLK holiday weekend) which is almost half of our city routes so everyone that did show up will have to carry half of another route on top of their own :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

As of next month, the company I work for is starting a 6-month trial of a four-day working week instead of the current Monday-Friday.
It consists of adding one hour to each day worked, and the company writing off the outstanding hours from the week’s quota (maintaining the same salary).

1 Like

This seems to be the new trend this year. There are several companies around us doing the same thing. So far my husband’s company is still M-F, but he is completely remote, which is a bigger benefit.

2 Likes

I wish my company would do that. The psychological difference between 4 and 5 day work weeks is immense.

3 Likes

USPS won’t ever do this…
We’re 6 days a week and they talked about 5 days a week but too many important things come through the mail that a 2 day delay would wreak havoc on customers and businesses :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes