What's Going On at Work?

Scene : My workplace.

Vendor to Customer: You need to pay your invoices in 30 days.

Customer: Yes, payment process does need to speed up.

both look at me

Me: Vendor, you don’t send your invoices until 20 days past date…Customer, you don’t pay the invoices until 30 days past that date…and Vendor, you don’t apply the payments until 20 days past THAT date. I only have the invoices in my hands for 3-4 days at most.

Vendor & Customer (to me): You need to speed up the process.

Me: I don’t see how this is a “me” problem.

/end scene

(I didn’t say that last line out loud, but I thought it so loud that if they were telepaths, the tops of their heads would have exploded.)

3 Likes

I’m in mandatory union training in Charlotte and yes it’s interesting but this could have been accomplished in a zoom meeting :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Is your Clerk counterpart attending this time? Or is the training you were talking about the other week where they weren’t attending?

1 Like

Yes my clerk steward is sitting next to me.
This is different training about issues going on with the postal changes being made and management implementing removal of employees for attendance in an effort to downsize

1 Like

Doing some work on the dock and a new city carrier left some outgoing mail in a postal tub on the dock last night… :expressionless:
Some of these people they hire are about as worthless as they come, and yet these are the people they promote to management who inturn create more work and stress for others :roll_eyes:

There’s also a route count underway in our post office where the carriers stops counted, time on each stop is recorded and so on to evaluate total time spent for future expansion, reduction, and other changes for efficiency.
Some carriers come in well before their start time of 8am to get ahead on their route sorting but don’t get paid so it becomes a labor violation. Management has told them to stop this during the route count because it throws off the total route time but several refuse to do so because they will be out late into the evening.
I see both sides of the argument here but that’s not my business to get involved with.
“My name’s Bennet and I ain’t in it!” :face_in_clouds:

Forgot to mention my coworker called me Saturday afternoon to see how things were going at work… She’s been on vacation all week and just had to call right when I was in the middle of installing a heavy metal case light so I had to stop mid-drilling just to take her call… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I wanted to tell her ‘You’re on vacation! WTF would you call about work when you’re on vacation??’ I’m sorry but I do Not do this! She will be back on Tuesday and I can give her the complete rundown then! Not to mention she’ll want to start ‘taking charge’ again wanting to get all sorts of non-important things done that I don’t bother with… Because they’re really truely not that important :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Monday Morning bank runs for the post office and the drive thru has 1 teller with multiple cars waiting…
Walk into the lobby and there’s 1 teller with multiple people waiting…
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

At least there is consistency.

1 Like

And of course my coworker calls me yet again…
She’s been working on a work plan starting tomorrow and asking a thousand questions about this and that and orders and other crap that doesn’t mean diddly squat! :angry:
On top of that I found out our dumbass postmaster is scheduled to return next week but she’s scheduled to go back out for another surgery (the other knee I’m guessing) in a couple of weeks or so…
Its been great while she’s been out so the sooner the better!!

1 Like

Today’s my Friday, and it’s been a screamingly busy week, and I’m just BURNED OUT.

Thinking about sneaking next door for a fancy coffee.

Imma gonna do it.

blindspot GIF by NBC

3 Likes

I’m a freelance content marketing writer and work has been slow af for me since the beginning of the year. One client hasn’t needed me yet, the other has been very slow (but they have me on a retainer, which is nice). Meanwhile I’ve been trying to get more clients and grow my income since forever and I just can’t get it done, so I’m frustrated and depressed.

4 Likes

If it’s not too depressing, I’d be curious to know your thoughts on the coming AI apocalypse ChatGTP and its effect on short-format writing jobs.

As a fellow freelancer, I feel for you. It’s always feast or famine for me – too busy or nothing at all – and I’m very fortunate that I can rely on my spouse’s income. If I couldn’t, I’d have to get an office job :rage: I hope things pick up soon!

2 Likes

I was forced to make a bunch of snide, insulting comments over the two-way radio in an attempt to get those slackers to do something, even if it’s completely wrong. I had no choice, I swear! I was forced to do it! Somebody had to step up and say exactly what the real world consequences are to their slack, unsafe behavior.

Second day training “Danny” as yard marshall. Today I just gave him the megaphone and told him to go nuts, and I made sure he didn’t bite the pooch too badly.

He was OK. I only had to step in a few times when some unsat shenanigans were going on in my beloved launchpad, but to be fair, he hadn’t encountered those situations before.

As a bonus, he’s not that bad a worker for a young kid, so maybe he’ll stop aping the behavior of those in his peer group now that he has some experience doing a more involved task which requires attention and precision.

1 Like

Since our illustrious postmaster is returning to work Monday my coworker remembered some more petty projects that had to be done before she returns like hang a white board for splitting city carrier routes, hanging motivational posters around the post office, and some other BS…
My coworker thinks she will be happy to see them done. Maybe for a minute then she will return to her usual miserable ways and find something else to whine and gripe about :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Wasn’t she supposed to be retiring or moving or something?

1 Like

Yes she’s supposed to retire but no one seems to know an exact date. Then we heard she’s building a house in Myrtle Beach yet she’s said she’s still paying for her house in Pennsylvania and has other bills to pay off so no one knows wtf she’s doing…
According to the supervisor, she’s board sitting at home so she’d rather come in to work and aggravate us apparently :expressionless:

1 Like

ChatGPT is an interesting tool, one which I’m not particularly interested in or concerned by. It will likely be bad for a lot of list-based content that I never pursued anyways, but I think it’s affect on actual writing will be small.

2 Likes

The postmaster is back and so far she’s been staying in her office like a hermit (which is a good thing)…
Meanwhile some of the new carriers have been taking spare keys to their mail trucks which is causing confusion. We have a board that the regular truck keys hang on that the carriers grab at the beginning of their day and we have a spare set for emergencies.
These new carriers apparently haven’t been informed about the difference between the two and just grab the spares to a truck and go on their route leaving the carriers assigned to their route stranded with no truck to use.
I cobbled together a key box on an old mobile hdtv stand where the carriers will now have to sign out their keys to their assigned truck.
We’ll see if this works out :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

At some hospital office now. Yeah, I’m gonna be resting for awhile.

1 Like

3 week death march to deliver code to a client early because they paid extra for temporal manipulation, I guess.

2 Likes

Biggest client has decided to overhaul how they code one of their largest divisions. My team is trying to find out exactly how we’re supposed to code invoices now and we get the most nebulous answer I think I’ve ever heard.

So, uh, I guess we’re making stuff up.

Again.

1 Like