What's Going On at Work?

Four people out of the office for the time being (2 symptomatic COVIDs, 2 undetermined muck), so it’s barely controlled pandemonium.

And I’ve just been told that our newest co-worker thinks I hate them because I “don’t go over and talk to them.” I mean, I don’t have much of a reason to talk to them on a daily basis and I don’t have time to socialize for socialization’s sake, so, uh…sorry, I guess? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Ugh. It’s an office, not a coffee klatch. I’m an introvert anyway, then add in the whole social aspect of an office and no thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, the problem here is I think that this office is the main or only social outlet for most of my co-workers, so they are constantly chatting and hanging out in cubes and doing lunch together and yadda yadda. I have very little in common with most of them and I am severely busy, so, no, I am not going to use up precious work time trying to ingratiate myself with people I am neutral on at best.

And no, we are not a “family.” We’re co-workers, darn it!

4 Likes

And now the pandemic is over and we can finally all catch up and hugs and cake oh the cake so happeeeeeee!
supernatural GIF

3 Likes

Oh don’t even get me started. It’s nice that they provide food and donuts and snacks and pitch-ins and etc etc, but I don’t eat any of it for 1) health reasons and 2) in solidarity with my friend who can’t eat any of it due to allergies/medical conditions.

And it’s just one more reason to not be at one’s desk getting work done. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

My coworker just had to text me… At 6:53am wondering how my visit to the Cardiologist went yesterday… Um, couldn’t you wait till tomorrow?
Then she goes on about the idiot redneck custodian finally finishing the windows he was supposed to clean on Monday… Ok, Wednesdays are my day off so… I Don’t Care!! :angry:
I’ve told her many times before I don’t want to hear about work on my day off! What doesn’t she understand?? I don’t get it! :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Back at work and the same coworker is going on vacation tomorrow through the middle of next week.
So she’s all full speed like the energizer bunny wanting to get all sorts of petty projects done and being really bossy like i don’t know what I’m doing :roll_eyes:
Just go on vacation already so I can work in peace!!

1 Like

Oh. I took the day off yesterday and when I walked in today, a couple of the gals started saying “things go to shinola when you’re not around blah blah and we like you on exit!”

That was sweet and all, but I had to remind one of them that “Hey, I don’t like it when you’re not here either, so step off!” Rejoinder: “Oh, well that’s just Sherina, we know she’s never here.”

I don’t know why they thought it was a good idea to let my ego get any bigger.

But, up on the labor board, even though Sherina was slotted in for megaphone duty, she didn’t want to do it (she’s good at it, since I trained her, but it’s not for everybody’s taste, and she doesn’t really like that role…not that many people do like the role, actually), so I teased her a bit and eventually let her off the hook and did it myself. Of course, everyone knew I’d step in, but it was amusing to withold until the last moment.

Genesis (that’s her name) did as usual a killer job at entrance…so, we got through it.

Actually, I’m kind of tired of running exit megaphone all the time, but of course the real joy is doing the Process Assistant’s job for him and counting all late departures…for no extra pay nor extra hours, even though it’s not in my pay grade to do so.

Cute story, though: one of the van drivers said in passing, “you got to wake me up, man, send us off with some high energy! I’m dragging this morning! How much coffee you drink anyway, all that energy?” “Well, son, they got a big bowl of snow behind the managers’ desks, but you gotta ask for it.” Or something.

Don’t these people know? They can’t compliment me or stroke my ego like that! That is not the best thing in the world to encourage people like me. Anyway, I’d still do everything the same way regardless of how I personally feel…it is the job, after all.

/* OH BEST part of today. Dispatch over, and a few of us heard through the two-way Jen saying “There’s a crazy person running around over in bulk!”

So, our manager jaunted over (a very strong, sinewy woman, but still probably 110 pounds soaking wet at about 5’6"), and one of my coworkers and I started walking over slowly, pounding our fists and trying to see how we could justify just heading over to take a look.

No, it was nothing. It was amusing, though. Nobody was in danger, just some dude who apparently looked like he didn’t belong and backed away when Jen did her “I’m a mom of two teenagers” thing about “Can I help you? Because if not, I will end you!” And best believe it, she has what she calls the “mom voice” and probably a really strong foot to back it up.

Very disappointing! Could have been a riot! An intervention! It was not, but it was low-grade excitement." */

1 Like

So my coworker is on vacation (finally) but before she left she just had to setup a Mother’s day display (cards, envelopes, packaging materials, etc ) out in the lobby…
Problem is it was not supposed to be setup until after March 27. A couple customers apparently tried to buy some items from the display yesterday but the bar codes weren’t coming up in the system yet. So that created some perturbed customers as a result.
I’ve told her i don’t know how many times to quit doing clerk work but continues to anyway because she enjoys it but now it’s created some unnecessary drama for the clerks to deal with :roll_eyes:
All they can do for now is turn the display around so customers can’t see it and hope no one else tries to buy anything else until then when they barcodes are entered into the system.

1 Like

RVR2 at work…

hardy

1 Like

So the new PSE (Postal Support Employee) comes in the afternoons to do dispatch but he will usually sort parcels that come in late morning to be delivered next day. He’s supposed to set the scanner up for next day delivery but yesterday instead set it for same day delivery so when the carriers came back after finishing their route, they had to go back out to deliver these mis-scanned parcels or they would all be failures.
Needless to say all of the carriers were not happy with him :open_mouth:

On a brighter note, the postmaster is off till Thursday so we’re all happy about that :tada:

1 Like

Just got a text from my coworker at 5am that she’s canceling her vacation and coming into work today and taking bereavement leave later this week because her father in law passed away.
I’m sorry to hear this but I don’t understand why she feels it’s necessary to come into work… Just change your time from annual leave to bereavement leave; it’s a simple change in leave status, no need to come into work :man_shrugging:
I haven’t gotten a good nights sleep the last couple of nights (only 4 hours sleep Saturday night/Sunday morning, and got woke up by a thunderstorm at 12:30am this morning) so I’m not in the mood to have orders being barked at me nor be bossed around today so this is going to be a trying Monday :confounded:

Found out it’s her ex-husband’s father that passed away and she canceled her vacation with her current husband…
Wonder how he feels about that :open_mouth: at 9:30am she told me she had to run Home to take care of some things… Again you shouldn’t even be here today! :person_shrugging:

And as a result of last night’s storm, the internet at the post office is down so noone can clock over to different work codes, can’t check their personal postal accounts, etc. So yeah we’re having a serious case of the Mondays.

2 Likes

There’s an option on Slack to make all your response emojis match whatever skin tone you want or it can just be default yellow. I have no idea why people want everyone else to know their skin tone, but so many of my co-workers do it.

1 Like

Yeah, most emojis are biased in favor of people with Simpsons Yellow skin.

2 Likes

My coworker is freaking out because she thinks she smells natural gas inside the post office… She says “That’s gas, and i have a really good nose!”
I told here, Um. there’s a broken bottle of sirracha sauce in the trash… then she says Oh maybe that’s it! Yes you have a really good nose… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is really good at smelling things, she’s just not so good at recognizing what it smells.

3 Likes

What’s even weirder than matching your own skin tone is I know a VERY nice older white lady, very active in social justice causes, who uses brown skin tone emojis. I think she means it in the spirit of solidarity but it’s SUPER cringe. I will let one of the Black people in our mutual circles correct her if they feel the need, I’m staying out of it, but I always blanch a little when she does it.

3 Likes

Oh come on it would have been HILARIOUS if you called the fire department to come investigate The Case of the Spilled Sriracha

3 Likes

That’s how it’s spelled :rofl:

1 Like

Coworker texts me to clock her in because she’s running late. I respond OK then she calls me to ask the same thing after texting me to be inconspicuous about it. So the supervisor and clerks hear my phone ring at the time clock .
Yeah thats real inconspicuous :man_facepalming:

Then she gets my schedule confused saying she was going to get the redneck custodian to come in to help out because I have a Dr appointment at 10. For some reason she thought I would be off all day so she tells him to come into our office at 7 to help out… He then gets mad at me because I’m here then gets mad at her for having him come in so early! It’s not like he does anything anyway but I guess we interrupted his sleepy time er something… the point is, if she would have gotten my schedule correct in the first place, she wouldn’t have had to contact him at all and this BS would have been avoided!

Just as I clock out the supervisor pages me that a carrier’s mirror fell off her truck… The carriers are supposed to do their vehicle inspections first thing in the morning, not when you’re getting ready to leave for the street! Sorry but I’m out.

1 Like