What's Going On With Your Weather?

I will! I miss them (used to live in the midwest which is famous for them)

I wanted to show off the video I took of the hail we got an hour ago but that seems like a PITA so just take my word for it, we got hail (in California!)

ETA here’s some photo evidence from the back stairs

2 Likes

Highs will reach the low 80’s today, tomorrow and Tuesday.
We’re currently in a rain-less weather pattern… Morning showers expected Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (which won’t help the pollen explosion currently underway here) then we’re back in the 60s for highs the rest of the week.\

Still showing partly cloudy skies for Eclipse day :+1:

1 Like

This could help out some areas where the view could be obstructed by clouds…

Why some clouds vanish during solar eclipses

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/30/world/clouds-vanish-solar-eclipse-scn/index.html

1 week away and my local forecast continues to improve with now Mostly Sunny skies :clap:

1 Like

Highs are expected to be about 10 to 15 degrees above normal today (82F).
Expecting strong to severe thunderstorms to develop in Tennessee and will approach the Carolinas Tuesday evening/overnight. Storms are expected to weaken as they move into the Charlotte area, but a marginal risk of damaging wind gusts are still a possibility. :open_mouth:

For all the Cubs fans and wanting to attend the home opener. Sorry to say 65% chance of rain at game time. I have lots of friends that will be going no matter what.

1 Like

Hmm… Tuesday is looking to be a volatile weather event :open_mouth:

A potentially substantial severe weather outbreak – possibly including a few significant/long-track tornadoes – is evident for Tuesday afternoon and evening, with highest probability centered over the Ohio vicinity, and extending southward across the Tennessee Valley.

For the areas across Ohio and Tennessee Valleys…

Widespread thunderstorms – including some degree of all-hazards severe risk – will likely be spreading rapidly eastward across the Ohio Valley area at the start of the period. This convection should reach the central Appalachians by late morning/midday, but – though potentially having some impact on destabilization potential across the MDT and ENH risk areas – should largely shift far enough east to allow warm-sector destabilization to commence.

Storm redevelopment is expected to occur during the afternoon across the Mid Mississippi and Lower Ohio Valleys. While evolution/storm mode remains somewhat difficult to discern – in part due to earlier storms – some mix of cellular and cluster/linear mode is expected to evolve.

All-hazards severe potential is evident, including very large hail, strong/damaging winds, and several significant tornadoes.

The greatest risk, which will include potential for a couple of intense/long-track tornadoes, should begin across Indiana, and the spread across Ohio through the afternoon and evening, potentially reaching as far east as western portions of West Virginia and far western Pennsylvania into the evening. Eastward advance of the risk into central Pennsylvania will likely remain limited, but otherwise threat may spread into western portions of Virginia and the Carolinas late.

For areas across Florida/Georgia/southeastern Alabama and perhaps into the western Carolinas…

Thunderstorm development is expected to increase late in the period from the Florida Panhandle northeastward, ahead of the advancing cold front. With indications of potentially cellular mode with this convection, concerns for a very late-period increase in tornado potential exist, given background shear profiles supportive of updraft rotation. While somewhat uncertain at this point, have expanded 5% tornado probability substantially eastward/southeastward to include this potential.

1 Like

Latest future radars show these storms reaching my locale late tonight/early Wednesday morning. Strong storms probable, severe storms possible, & between a 2%-5% chance of tornadoes :open_mouth: Highs once again in the low 80s

Yesterday’s all-day rain turned into all-day snow. And now we’re forecasted to get anywhere from 3-8" more inches of snow by Wednesday afternoon. Haha, Mother Nature, very funny. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Drippy showers yesterday for about a third of an inch of moisture overall. That has given way to sunny skies, and we should have a nice rest of the week. (and then it wants to snow. Did I mention that April is our second snowiest month?)

3 Likes

That sounds like our forecast starting…uh…now.

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks like I won’t be washing the truck anytime soon.

3 Likes

I just realised this is eclipse day. :frowning_face:

Guess I can put away those eclipse glasses

5 Likes

Forecast cloud cover for the eclipse. Bluer is better.
From https://digital.weather.gov/

2 Likes

I waited seven years for this, picked Texas as historically most likely to be sunny, and now… ugh

I mean, it’s still too early to be sure, but trends are not looking good.

3 Likes

Over a day of rain 1+ inches, followed by sleet and now 4-7 inches of slushy snow. Driving is less than fun. Also, that is more snow than we got all of February.

2 Likes

Not exactly weather, but it is NOAA…

https://www.tsunami.gov/

There have been a suite of earthquakes near/on Taiwan - 7.5 main shock, and several aftershocks at 5.7 to 6.5.

I got family on Alameda, and we got Misties on the left coast, so I’m on Tsunami watch.

So far, the only warning is for Japan, .3 to 1 meter.

I hope it stays that way.

Edit to add - and 1 to 3 meters in Taiwan

2nd edit to add -

**** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE *****

THE TSUNAMI FORECAST IS UNCHANGED IN THIS MESSAGE.

PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

• MAGNITUDE 7.5
  • ORIGIN TIME 2358 UTC APR 2 2024
  • COORDINATES 23.8 NORTH 121.7 EAST
  • DEPTH 11 KM / 7 MILES
  • LOCATION TAIWAN

EVALUATION

• AN EARTHQUAKE WITH A PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE OF 7.5 OCCURRED IN
    TAIWAN AT 2358 UTC ON TUESDAY APRIL 2 2024.

• BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA… THE TSUNAMI THREAT FROM THIS
    EARTHQUAKE HAS NOW PASSED.

TSUNAMI THREAT FORECAST…UPDATED

• THE TSUNAMI THREAT HAS NOW LARGELY PASSED.
5 Likes

It has been snowing all afternoon. It’s supposed to keep snowing overnight and all day tomorrow. So here is day 5 of winter but happening in spring. The forecast totals range from 5 inches to 15 inches of snow by the time the storm is over. Now, normally, I like snow and there’s no question that Wisconsin could use the extra moisture, but this time, it’s very inconvenient.

4 Likes

Storms have arrived around 2:30am and I’m up as a result :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Lots of lightning and thunder but nothing too severe based on the radar.

11am: storms are gone and the winds are cranking up! 20-30mph with gusts of 35+mph

Today’s cloud cover forecast for the eclipse

Carbondale and New England are looking better

1 Like