What's Going On With Your Weather?

Finally a partly clear night here. No sign of an aurora, borealis or otherwise.

2 Likes

Same story here. Just made my final check of the night. At least last night I had some rain and a few rumbles of thunder to sing me to sleep.

1 Like

aaannnnddddd

it’s raining.

SIGH

2 Likes

Rain moving in from the southern Gulf coast overnight through Tuesday into Wednesday…
At least it’s keeping our temperatures below normal because when the heat ramps up in the Summer, we’ll be wishing for these cool rainy days!

Right on queue. Looks like an all day rain event here.
Severe weather is possible as more rain/storms move in from the southwest, but not likely.

Oh goodie… We have a Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 8pm :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

Severe Thunderstorm Warning just issued at 4pm :open_mouth: Got a line of storms moving ESE at 25mph. Lightning, Thunder, 60mph winds, heavy rains, and… Oh yes, HAIL! :confounded:

2 Likes

I’ve always heard that spring is rainy, but it’s been more of a myth than a reality in my experience. Until this year. It’s actually raining about every other day. It’s only just warmed up to consistently summer-y temperatures, too. This means that all the minor landscaping projects I did last year, making perfect spots to hammock in the shade, are doing less for me now that it’s not even sunny most of the time, and more for the mosquitos. Which, of course, weren’t a problem last year when it didn’t rain for 8 weeks in the spring, and it was perfect to be outside in. I have to find new places to be outside now, and use bugspray. Yuck.

2 Likes

Find where the water is collecting and the mozzies are breeding. If it’s something like a pool or tires, empty them out and get rid of them. If it’s something like a pond (or, in our case, the underground roof drains, drop something like mosquito dunks into it, and that will help.

3 Likes

I love that idea! Unfortunately, the place they are breeding is most likely the river that runs through not far from the house, and the ravine full of runoff that’s even closer. Which are both technically public property, so any attempts to maintain it carry the potential of being discovered and probably illegal. I did trim ome shrubs to make room, since it’s clear the city doesn’t care, but I’d be hesitant to purposefully affect the ecosystem much more. Hammocking over the river was lovely last year, but I don’t have much hope that such a time will come this year.

3 Likes

You can report it to the city/county outreach. Most cities and counties do have mitigation processes, but they have to know where to go.

3 Likes

I second what @LadyShelley suggests – google your city or county and “mosquito abatement” and see if they have a department for that.

Also as a Californian who spent a large majority of the last 30 years in drought conditions, I know the rain can ruin some plans, but it’s worth it. It beats rationing showers.

2 Likes

A line of rain storms moving through from the southwest…
Just a quick 10 minute deluge and that’s about it … for now.
More rain in the forecast throughout the weekend.

1 Like

Forecast says I’m due for the best part of an inch by noon or so. The RADAR looks spotty.

But, we have 70% humidity, so, maybe?

2 Likes

Spring may have finally sprung:

We’ll see how “likely” those likely storms end up being on Tuesday.

2 Likes

After a couple of warm weeks temperatures are dropping into the 60’s, with lows in the 40’s and increasing cloud cover, perhaps some light precipitation here and there.

1 Like

Currently 86 in central Wisconsin. Pretty sure normal highs this time of year are around 70.

And a severe thunderstorm watch until 10 PM.

2 Likes

Forecasted storms for today never materialized, but they could develop overnight based on the future radar. We’ll see…

One more day of warm temperatures and sun here in the Chicago area. Fingers crossed we turn the horn on the overnights dropping below 50 degrees. Monday and Tuesday we are back to rain and thunder developing due to a low that will be sitting over Oklahoma moving north into Canada bringing in warm moist air from the gulf then dryer air from the west on Wednesday afternoon though Thursday.

If you are thinking about planting those summer tomato’s and pepper’s based on current wind currents not seeing any major cold dropping from the north. It’s time to get the plants into the ground. But knowing our weather mother nature may pull a fast one out Memorial Day weekend.

2 Likes

Only a few scattered showers overnight and ending this morning. No rain again until next weekend.
Cooler temperatures today with a high of only 76F today (Sunday). Highs in the low 80s through mid week then mid to upper 80s by weeks end.