What's Going On With Your Weather?

“excessive heat slight” sounds like they can’t make up their mind

“slightly excessive” is a phrase that needs to go back to the editor

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but the map shows the risk of hazardous temperatures - slight, moderate, or high risk. But because the only hazard expected is ‘excessive heat’ it appears confusing.

I think we would agree that, rather than the labels reading ‘hazard / risk’, better would be labels ‘risk / hazard’ and adding the word ‘risk’. Ex. ‘slight risk excessive heat’.

3 Likes

My weather station just recorded our first triple digit reading of the season.

And it hit 101 as I typed this. Yowsers.

5 Likes

Works here, the What Are You Cooking, and the Today’s Laugh threads:

4 Likes

The hottest day so far here in the Carolinas is forecast today, with a high of 95F :hot_face:

2 Likes

Yesterday we hit 101 at my house. Today the high is supposed to be in the upper 70s (F) and we’re back on the “Storms Likely” merry-go-round. Had some flickers of lightning last night but nothing else.

It’s been a month since we’ve had anything that did more than make the sidewalks damp. The afternoon monsoon rains are supposed to start any day now.

2 Likes

‘member the projections that heat was going to set in in the east? Soon…

At least this weekend won’t be too bad. I’ve a few chores outside.

2 Likes

It’s supposed to be hot AF here this weekend. I’ll skip jogging, I guess

2 Likes

Mild conditions continue. I still need a jacket some mornings. This is good.

1 Like

Next week may very well be the hottest week of my lifetime.

3 Likes

Another day, another “storms likely” passed us by.

2 Likes

Yeah, same here. 80% chance of storms turned into sunshine almost all day.

2 Likes

Happy Fathers Day!

Welcome to a week of “Florida” like weather in the Chicago area. For the next 5 or 6 days expect a lot of warm and moist air rolling in. Then as temperatures peak in the afternoon isolated storms expecting to develop depending on winds. Our primary weather maker is a high-pressure cell out on the east coast with a low in Canada driving the winds from the gulf. Then in the middle of the week a high will descend from Canada over the great lakes continuing the funning of warm air.

Today through Friday highs in lower 90s, overnight in the 70s so only a 20-degree delta.

2 Likes

Hot and dry in the Carolinas with more 90s and no rain…
Meanwhile in the tropics, the lower western Gulf shows something pulling up lots of rain/storms into TX/LA. In the Atlantic, an incoming surge of moisture moves towards the South Carolina coast later this week. Then next weekend more tropical moisture moves into upper Gulf once again. None of these showing strong development-still waiting on Alberto to form.

2 Likes

At this point I just shrug and roll my eyes at those “Storms Likely” notes.

2 Likes

When we lived near Durango we could watch the rain evaporate before it reached the ground.

3 Likes

I know most of the country is dealing with hot weather just now, but spare a thought for our friends in northwest Montana -

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MTZ005&warncounty=MTC063&firewxzone=MTZ108&local_place1=Missoula%20MT&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch&lat=46.8728&lon=-113.9962

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Missoula MT
443 PM MDT Sat Jun 15 2024

MTZ005-162245-
/O.CON.KMSO.WS.A.0009.240617T0900Z-240617T1800Z/
Missoula/Bitterroot Valleys-
443 PM MDT Sat Jun 15 2024

…WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT
THROUGH MONDAY MORNING…

• WHAT…Heavy wet snow. Up to 3 inches of snow is possible in the
    southern Bitterroot Valley.

• WHERE…Missoula and Bitterroot Valley.

• WHEN…From late Sunday night through Monday morning.

• IMPACTS…Snow on trees could cause breaking branches and power
    outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

3 Likes

I was out showing the truck some love this morning, in preparation for a vehicle inspection later. Rinse the dust off, new wipers, new air filter… that sort of thing.

I need another shower.

Edit to add -
Truck inspected (passed). But, golly, it’s hot.

Same thing forecast for the next week. No rain in the forecast except a 40% chance come next Monday.

2 Likes

Yikes. In Tucson where my sister lives it’s 103, but at least it’s only 5% humidity there.

2 Likes

The NHC has designated the disturbance in the southwest Gulf of Mexico as Potential Tropical Cyclone One (1 step away from Alberto). :open_mouth:
Tropical storm watches have been issued for parts of Texas and Mexico.

1 Like